It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

BillGent HB User
Not Normal Readings

My blood pressure has gone from around 125/80 to readings of around 119/59 to the lowest of 109/51 I stopped taking the Lisinopril two days ago because it was so low. I'm still getting low numbers without it. My heart rate usually stays in the 90's but lately has been in the 70's.

The blood pressure thing is whats freaking me out. The last couple of days I have felt ok, even better than normal. Maybe my body is simply getting used to me taking better care of it? Anyone else had a problem of Blood pressure just dropping like this?

Last edited by BillGent; 02-05-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Not Normal Readings

First off, some questions...

were the numbers of 120/85 taken before you started taking meds? If not, what med were you on? For how long?

Secondly, it takes at least 2 weeks for lisinopril to get out of the body, for some people longer so it may take a few days for your bp to rise.

Thirdly, a heart rate in the 70's or lower is a good thing.

But again, more info is needed here before any conclusions should be drawn about the dosage and your numbers.

Welcome to the boards, by the way!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-06-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
(male)

BillGent HB User

Here's the low down so bear with me lol.

I've been having Systolic's around 130-145 and diastolics around 80 even with the lisinopril. A couple weeks ago I got a stomach bug. I ended up getting dehydrated and going to the hospital (nasty scene it was lol) I have been taking better care of myself since then.

Since the hospital, I kept having a feeling of "floating" or being disoriented with a bit of nausea.. not bad but just enough to bug me. I then noticed my blood pressures staying low. This morning it was 103/51.

I have been feeling fine the past two days... It's strange but I just wondered if my body was reacting to having a lower BP. For the last few weeks even before the stomach flu..the A-Fib has been getting worse at night when I lay down.. especially if I lay on my side.

I never have any pain with the A-Fib although I do have small chest pains at other times.. nothing last over a few seconds.

It has seemed to me in the past couple of years that after an episode of a-fib.. my blood pressure is lower than normal and so is my heart rate.

I dunno.. its all kinda strange.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

No, it is not at all strange...I would suggest that you are still dealing with dehydration (which causes low blood pressure) and an electrolyte balance (which can cause the A-fibs.)

I might also suggest the possibility that what you had was not the flu but a side effect of the lisinopril...don't assume if you've been taking the med for months without problems that it is not a side effect as side effects can begin seconds/minutes/hours/days/months/or years after taking the first dose.

I experienced about 3 weeks of nausea and vomiting (what I thought was the flu) as a side effect of hydrochlorothiazide...needless to say, between the "flu" and the HCTZ, I experienced many, many symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance.

These are only my thoughts on the matter...given the limited info available.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGent View Post
... For the last few weeks even before the stomach flu..the A-Fib has been getting worse at night when I lay down.. especially if I lay on my side.
When lying down, are your heart rhythm problems worse on one side versus the other, or on your back? For instance does your heart jump more while lying on your right side than it does on your left side?

How do you know that it is A-Fib? Have you been diagnosed as having A-Fib?

Have you ever had an echocardiogram of your heart?

Just trying to compare notes. My blood pressure can get really low, like around 90 over around 60, especially in the morning, but, for me, it is very healthy. My heart rate also often gets down to around 50, but, again, that is also healthy for me.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
(male)

BillGent HB User

Yes, it does get worse when laying on my side. It used to be bad when I laid on my left side.. but it did a switcheroo and now its on my right. When it starts on my right side.. if I switch to flat on my stomach, It gets worse. It will calm down after awhile.

I was diagnosed with A-fib several years ago but I'm pretty sure I have tachycardia too.. my heart rate has usually stayed above 100 but I'm not real sure my electronic BP kit is entirely correct. Can't afford a new one just yet. Dang heart won't mess up when the doctors so test. Not even on a monitor.
Had a whole bunch of test done June of 2008 Echo, nuclear stress etc..and all they could come up with was the narrowing of a main artery in my neck but nothing that needed surgery at the moment. They said it will some day.
Unfortunately, I have to go to a county hospital now. I quit my job to stay home with my dad after he had a stroke. So... no more insurance. Sometimes I don't feel they do all they can or should but I can't prove anything, You know? Just suspicion. They have taken care of me so far cause I ain't dead yet and I'm not getting worse except for the increased A-Fib and I haven't seen them yet for that. I go to the doc on Monday.

Last edited by BillGent; 02-06-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGent View Post
... I was diagnosed with A-fib several years ago but I'm pretty sure I have tachycardia too..
Confusing, isn't it?

Actually, I think that A-Fib is one of the most misunderstood conditions, including by me. A-Fib is a condition where the current through the Atrial is messed up. Because of the electrical problems in the Atrial, which most really can't feel, it can cause the heart to mis-fire, causing heart-beat problems such as tachycardia (fast beating), among other problems.

Are you on a blood thinner, like Warfarin, to protect against A-Fib related stroke?

Quote:
my heart rate has usually stayed above 100 but I'm not real sure my electronic BP kit is entirely correct.
What meds do you take to slow down your heartbeat?

Quote:
Had a whole bunch of test done June of 2008 Echo, nuclear stress etc..and all they could come up with was the narrowing of a main artery in my neck but nothing that needed surgery at the moment. They said it will some day.
I get copies of the results of ALL my tests, especially the EchoCardiogram of my heart. The doctors don't seem to take the time to fully analyze the results, and tend to keep things from patients, to make life easier on the doctor. I have learned more, at home, looking at the results and looking them up on the Internet, than I found out through the so-called doctor evaluation.

It's really interesting to see how much is missed by the rushed, "in a hurry to get to the next patient", "in a hurry to get out to the golf course","really don't care", medical care system.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have to go to a county hospital now. I quit my job to stay home with my dad after he had a stroke. So... no more insurance.
That gave me pause. An amazing sacrifice by you for your father, especially considering your own current health problems. You have my admiration.

Quote:
I go to the doc on Monday.
What are your goals for Monday? Are you taking Digoxin for the A-Fib and the fast heart rate? Do you take a blood thinner like Warfarin? (both inexpensive meds) Do you want to get copies of your test results?

At any rate, good luck Monday. I hope that your dad recovers fully and that you are able to get back to work and re-acquire your health insurance.

Take care........

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
(male)

BillGent HB User

I take Lanoxin for the A-fib. I'm also on lisinopril=hctz for blood pressure. Glipizide, Lantus and novolog for Dibetes and lipitor for cholesterol. No other meds.

I've been feeling pretty good. Getting out of the house more and working at the Church cleaning up just for the exercise. I Buff out the floor in the church gym.. it's slow but I'm walking for 2 plus hours. I'm not gonna worry about the blood pressure.. apparently it's a good thing!

One thing I have found out is that I MUST eat smaller meals and don't eat within at least 4 hours of bedtime. The A-fib is worse when I have anything on my stomach.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it.

Last edited by BillGent; 02-07-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Closed Thread