It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

konamom HB User
Question about drinking wine while taking meds

Hi everyone,
Much to my dismay I'm now on BP meds. My BP was 178/89 and then went up again while at the docs office. He put me on Diovan HCT and I'm curious about something. Can I safely drink 1 or 2 glass of red wine one day per week while taking this medication? I forgot to ask the doctor Thanks for your help!
Susan

Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Question about drinking wine while taking meds

I drink all the time with my bp medications. never had anything bad happen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
(female)

konamom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
I drink all the time with my bp medications. never had anything bad happen.
Now that's good news! Does your med say not to drink?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

No, I take azor and htcz. I have had no problems and drink way over 2 glasses of wine over the weekends

Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My BP goes down after a couple glasses, and only that warm relaxed feeling remains. smile...

one to many and I feel yucky.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I haven't had any alcohol in the past 3 weeks, and in those 3 weeks i have had NO high BP spikes, maybe 145/85 the highest, and that was after working out. Then again i don't only have "a few" when i drink, so the BP and rebound anxiety is always bad the next day.

I never had ANY bad side effects while drinking on BP/ anxiety medication. But everyone reacts differently, and even if it says it's safe to drink alcohol your body can react to it differently, just like how some people it's perfectly safe to eat/drink something that somebody else may be allergic to. Only way you can know for sure is sip on a glass of wine one night and see how you feel after a while. Don't go on and drink another glass until you see how you react.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Alcohol is a drug, and when you drink alcohol and take medications of any kind you are mixing drugs which may mean several things...the effects of one or more drugs may be enhanced/diminished, side effects may compound, and kidney and liver function may be impaired.

Also of importance is the fact that as we age our livers normally lose as much as 50 percent of their previous function...this can compound the problem with the body metabolizing alcohol...so even if someone had one glass a wine a night when one was younger, the same amount may cause problems in someone older, especially if they are combining it with medication.

And finally, drinking 1-2 glasses per day, even without taking meds, is considered by some health care professionals to be problem drinking...and no, you don't have to get drunk to be a problem drinker.

Bethsheba

Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Dad has had 4 open heart surgeries and on many BP meds. he drinks a couple of glasses of wine and he is just fine and no he is not an alcoholic

Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
(female)

konamom HB User

The way I see it is red wine is good for the heart. 1 or 2 glasses on a Saturday night can't be all bad. I'm not looking to get drunk on a daily basis, but I'm hoping I can't have a glass or two of wine periodically. I'll double-check with my doctor since it says to ask the doctor on the insert from the meds. Thanks1

Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Yea, i'm sure it's ok, for otherwise healthy people. I haven't read an article though where it says drinking alcohol is healthy for people with high blood pressure and on medication, unless we are living in bizarro world where increasing ones heart rate and blood pressure with stimulants is healthy for people with heart /blood pressure problems. Plus the fact that some medications metabolize in the liver, and that with the alcohol is not a good mix the added stress on ones kidneys and liver is not good. Thankfully i am still somewhat young and my liver is fine. But i doubt i would be if i keep up drinking alcohol on top of medication for many years.

Last edited by Lourage; 02-05-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Actually, i just read up that even with high Blood pressure 1-2 drinks is fine. Still though, it can be hard on the liver/ kidneys mixed with certain medications, so just be safe!

Last edited by Lourage; 02-05-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
My Dad has had 4 open heart surgeries and on many BP meds. he drinks a couple of glasses of wine and he is just fine and no he is not an alcoholic
My dad is 81, on a diuretic, BP controlled under 120/80. He probably drinks 3-4 glasses of red wine a day, and has since I was a kid. No problems according to his doctor. Everyone is affected differently by this. Not a good reason to take up drinking if you haven't already, but wine is one of the oldest of life's pleasures for thousands of years, and for most people, a couple drinks a day will do more good then harm...just ask a person in France or Italy!

The key is obviously to not overdo it, and be very careful mixing it with certain meds. Also wise, as Andrew Weil suggests, to give yourself 2 days a week off alcohol free. Take milk thistle supplements to give your liver an added boost as well. And if/when your doctor says "stop drinking," listen to that doctor.

But definitely don't stress out about a couple of glasses of wine on occasion!

tamuprof45

Old 02-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
Actually, i just read up that even with high Blood pressure 1-2 drinks is fine. Still though, it can be hard on the liver/ kidneys mixed with certain medications, so just be safe!
I read a French study from about 10 years ago that looked at men at various stages of hypertension...stage 1, 2, etc. The study found that MODERATE red wine consumption reduced the mortality rate of hypertensive men at all stages. I would NOT make too much of this study, but it was interesting at the very least.

tamuprof45

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Alcohol is a drug, and when you drink alcohol and take medications of any kind you are mixing drugs which may mean several things...the effects of one or more drugs may be enhanced/diminished, side effects may compound, and kidney and liver function may be impaired.

Also of importance is the fact that as we age our livers normally lose as much as 50 percent of their previous function...this can compound the problem with the body metabolizing alcohol...so even if someone had one glass a wine a night when one was younger, the same amount may cause problems in someone older, especially if they are combining it with medication.

And finally, drinking 1-2 glasses per day, even without taking meds, is considered by some health care professionals to be problem drinking...and no, you don't have to get drunk to be a problem drinker.

Bethsheba

I will also add (and I am a regular wine drinker) that alcohol can be VERY dangerous to the heart, esp. as one ages. While there seems to be some protective effect on thinning blood and raising HDL, alcohol can severely disrupt the electrical system of the heart causing atrial fibrillation, and just as importantly, delete the heart's store of vital minerals like magnesium. Caveat emptor.

tamuprof45

Old 02-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I do not currently take BP meds, but I have in the past. I drank at the time as well and had no problems (in fact, I was taking Diovan). However, over the last year I've been experiementing with my BP and alcohol intake. I've found that in periods where I drink, my numbers get higher. My numbers are still "OK" but my diastolic raises by quite a bit. When I'm drinking, my average will be around 118/85 - this is in contrast to the 115/75 typical average. Also, when I'm in periods of drinking, my diastolic will sometimes spike a bit and I'll get funny readings like 120/90. When I'm not drinking, I never see readings like that. This tells me that alcohol consumption affects my overall blood pressure, so I've decided to just stay away from it. Not to mention, I'm not so good with the control bit. What's the point of only 2 glasses when I can have 4?

Closed Thread