It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

abergeron HB User
Resperate -- give me your thoughts/experiences

I just ordered the Resperate breathing device. I figure it has a money-back guarantee (less shipping), so might as will give it a 30-day go.

I'm am fairly confident that my BP is very responsive to my anxiety and my being wound too tight. I find that I'm often taking shallow breaths, not breathing slowly and deeply. I have trouble getting a rhythm of slow deep breaths going.

Anyway, for those of you who own this device, can you share your experience? Does it affect BP or give you other benefits? Has it had any impact on your all-around level of stress/anxiety?

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Resperate -- give me your thoughts/experiences

Thoughts and experiences...

haven't used it.

research shows it works...

it's expensive...

you can accomplish similar results doing breathing exercises found on the boards.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
(male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
it's expensive...
It is. But, but I figure if it works, the price is a drop in the bucket relative to the healthcare costs associated with treating high BP. Even more importantly, if it does lower my BP and relieve stress and anxiety, it's priceless in my book.

I probably would not have ordered it without the 30-day guarantee, though. I will send it back if it doesn't meet expectations.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

It works if you like the music that goes with it. I found the music disconcerting for lack of a better word so my b/p increased & I had heart palps. Dr. Dean says we often differ in our response to certain types of music.

But I didn't have any trouble getting my breathing right in sync with the music. I can see that it would be nice to have the option of going in a room & using the device when we are stressed or on a regular basis. In fact, I guess we could all make up our own breathing routine with music we like.

It would be worth the money if it motiivates a person to do the breathing exercises.

Apparently, some patients react the way I did with heart palps & increases in b/p. I got my refund without any problems. I argued for my postage too because I had the side effect of heart palps but didn't win that one. One of the Dr's on the staff interviewed me over the phone.

Have you had a sleep study done? If you have any symptoms of sleep apnea, it would be a good idea. C-Pap has been shown to lower one's b/p by 10 points. I think C-Pap could be used when one is just stressed out & needing to slow doen breathing too. Don't forget all the lifestyle stuff too-anything to avoid meds or to decrease the ones we're on. Fam

Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
(male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Don't forget all the lifestyle stuff too-anything to avoid meds or to decrease the ones we're on. Fam
Yes, absolutely. I eat very healthy and have been modifying my diet even more over the past couple months. Majority of my diet is veggies/fruits, lean meats and whole grains. I'm trying to reduce the grains even more, but I do love them. I am doing my best to work in regular exercise. I love to exercise, but it's a question of time. The 2 hours that it takes to get to the gym, workout, and get home, is 2 hours less time with my wife. We walk the dog at night, but that's only 30 minutes of walking. Weekends are no problem--we either go to the gym together, or I'm off hiking or skiing. But weekdays are a tough one because I generally work a 10 hour day and if I took 2 hours for the gym, there's very little time left to see the wife or to do anything else. I hope to get from my current 180 pounds down to 170, so that could help with the BP too.

I'll report back my results with the Resperate device. I think I'll do 15 minutes every night some time after dinner and before bed. We'll see what happens.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abergeron View Post
... Majority of my diet is veggies/fruits, lean meats and whole grains. I'm trying to reduce the grains even more, but I do love them.
If you haven't learned about the DASH meal plan I would encourage you to do so...there's more to it than eating what you're currently eating....also, whole grains are encouraged as they play a very important role in the regulation of hypertension and the reduction of cholesterol.

Bethsheba

Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I have SEVERE anxiety ( currently on effexor 150 mg for it) and all those Deep breathing type exercises did nothing for me man. I would actually become more anxious doing them and concentrating on my breathing. I normally breathe from my stomach though ( the right way to breathe) I think the people who have such good results from meditating?deep breathing Don't have as bad anxiety as some of us, you know there is a difference between

" i'm so anxious from this test thats coming up, i been anxious now for the past week!!! i tried deep breathing and feel so much more relaxed")

"i been anxious for the past 15 years. I get nervous going outside to get the mail")

see the difference? Deep breathing ain't going to do jack for the guy scared to even leave his house to get his mail. For me i found the best thing is to not even concentrate on your breathing, unless you are having a panic attack, then in that case taking deep breathes can calm your body down.

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-06-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
(male)

abergeron HB User

I think I'm more the--anxious/stressed/wound tight about work, life, health, money, whatever--than the anxious about going out to the mailbox. Although, I can relate to the latter, too.

I'm a bit peculiar, I think, in that I appear extremely laid back to those who know me. Even my wife is like, "you think you have stress/anxiety issues???" But, I think I harbor it inside. Not good. I do think I can benefit from some breathing exercises--whether I need the $300 device, I'm not sure. But I'm willing to give it a go.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
(male)

BobinFW HB User

I had been considering the Resperate device for over a year and did quite a bit of research on it. In December, 2008, I read about a continuing study of the device in Maryland (I am in the mid west). I called to see if I could be a part of it (I couldn’t, they need people to visit every week). In talking with the person in charge, she told me the device is very good and has shown showed good results in many people. The device measures your breathing and then it will use tones to slow your breathing down. Ideally, you want your breaths per minute to be under 10. Apparently, many people are at the 15-17 breaths per minute or higher.

So I called and ordered a Resperate. It is a high quality device and easy to use. I used it for 15 minutes every day for almost a month. In the beginning of the session, my breaths per minute were in the 9 -10 per minute range and at the end they were in 5 ˝ to 6 ˝ range. Unfortunately for me, the device did not lower my BP. In fact I would take my BP before using the device and after using it and saw almost no difference. I suspect that if your breathing rate per minute is high and it slowed you down, you might see a decrease in BP. I returned the device and received a full refund. I wish it had worked, $350.00 is a small price to pay for lower BP without meds and the accompanying side effects. Personally, I think it is worth the try.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
(male)

abergeron HB User

Just got the device in the mail today. First off, very impressed with the quick ship.

Did my first session. I think the device has some potential, but I need to work on my breathing. I did not measure BP before or after this time. I will later on (I've been getting too ocd with measuring, and then BP gets worse, so I need to lay off the measuring for a bit).

I got my breathing down to 4.6 or so, which I think is too low. I started under 10. I think I need some tips on how to breathe correctly. I really do think the device could work (and other research shows that it does in fact lower BP in many people).

If anyone has tips on breathing, I'm all ears. It feels kind of forced, not relaxed...

Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
(male)

joe86 HB User

I haven't been here for a long time, must be almost a year now. I'm lucky to be able to do a lot of travelling but I always check back here whenever I can.

Lo and behold, my first day back and here's a thread on my favorite topic right on top! I have a lot of opinions on Resperate because slow breathing is responsible for curing (or at least conrolling) my high blood pressure.

The method does often work, although Resperate is not for me. I do believe it can work but only if you can handle that type of "music". That's because it's not really music but computer tones. Personally, it drives me nuts. Otherwise, the device is good and based on sound science.

I use something similar called Breatheasy... same breathing, different method. It does the same thing as Resperate but it uses real music with breathing tones mixed in to guide your breathing. I find this much more relaxing and therefore effective. After a few months with the system I mastered the slow breathing method and I rarely need to use the program any more.

I can also agree with Lourage that anxiety can make these breathing methods difficult. Concentrating on my breathing made me anxious too at first but after a while that went away and it became relaxing. I don't need to concentrate anymore, it's natural. So I think that it can also help with stress and anxiety issues but you have to be aware that it can aggravate these at first.

You can also learn to do slow breathing on your own - it's not rocket science - but it's easier to have something that can help you out with it for awhile.

Obviously this method isn't going to help everyone. Nothing does, including meds. But I've heard enough success stories, besides my own, that I would recommend anyone to try it.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
(male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
Lo and behold, my first day back and here's a thread on my favorite topic right on top! I have a lot of opinions on Resperate because slow breathing is responsible for curing (or at least conrolling) my high blood pressure.
Hey joe, thanks for responding.

Any tips on how to breathe correctly. Sounds like a dumb question, but seriously; I think I've been so stressed and anxious the past few years that my body has no idea how to take long, slow, relaxing breaths. It feels uncoordinated, tight, forced...

I've become more aware of my breathing and I notice that I sort of stay "half-inhaled" all the time (if that makes sense--like I'm sucking my stomach in) and take quicker and shallower breaths. When I recognize it, it feels good to take a big, long and slow breath, and deeply exhale (feels like I shed a lot of tension that I didn't realize I was holding in), but I am not good at linking these breaths together.

Appreciate any tips from those who have mastered this.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Ok man. From what i remember there are a few breathing methods. but the RIGHT way to breathe is as follows. You want to breathe like a baby, when they sleep their belly rises. As we get older we forget the right way to breathe and stop breathing through our bellies and breathe more in our chest/throat

Take your right hand and put it in between your chest, Take your left hand and put it on your belly. now breathe normally, do you feel your chest rising? or your belly? You want your right hand to not move up at all and only have your left hand thats on your belly to rise. breathe in through your nose, slow and deep breathes, pause at complete inhalation. Then when you exhale through the mouth but make a sort of smile so the air makes noise when coming out, purse your lips.

Now i notice with me when i think about breathing a certain way, it feels forced. You want to really feel like the air is filling your belly up, and not that your forcing it out. Let me know how it works for you.

Last edited by Lourage; 02-10-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
(male)

abergeron HB User

Wow, learn something new every day. For some reason I had it in my head that your chest is supposed to rise, not your stomach. So, yea, I was all wrong in that department. Just googled some of those terms, and you're absolutely right on this one. So, thanks for bringing my attention to it.

I did my second Resperate session tonight (before getting this new tip), and it did go better, I think. One tip I picked up in the Resperate manual was to exhale through pursed lips. That did help to give a slow, comfortable exhale.

But yea, having that chest/stomach thing figured out makes a huge difference.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

How's the music with your Resparate? I'm wondering if it has changed since I bought one. Fam

Closed Thread