It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Amphetamines and high blood pressure

I wanted to lose a few pounds and asked for phentermine, well three of my doctors said no. not a big surprise there. but because I have an auto immune dusease and get severely fatigued they approved Adderall.. which is an amphetamine. Now wouldn't that be as bad if not worse than phentermine with hypertension?

I have no talked to my doctors yet about this but they have the prescription for me ready to pick up at the pharmacy.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
(male)

abergeron HB User
Re: Amphetamines and high blood pressure

Personally, I would stay away from the Adderall. It's a fairly potent stimulant. I would imagine that, yes, it would elevate heartrate and BP. Also, it can be fairly addictive (that and ritalin were abused quite a lot around my college campus).

I also wouldn't trust my doctor if my gut says otherwise. My wife, who is pregnant, was prescribed an asthma medication by her doctor that could have been dangerous to our baby. Thank god for Google. A few angry phone calls later, and we got the proper prescription to safely manage her asthma during her pregnancy. I was irate at the doctor, but they just brushed it off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

The adderall was prescribed by my neurologist and approved by my cardiologist. I believe it's low dose. There is not much they can give for people with my illness who suffer from fatigue. They also prescribe Provigial but I don't know if thats any safer than adderall.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I think it's a situation where you weigh the risks vs. the rewards. If you can lose weight on it, it may cut out additional risk factors down the road.

Personally, I took Aderall a few times, recreationally several years ago. I would be a bit afraid of the abuse potential, but I can confirm I was NOT hungry. And, on the plus side, I was very, very focused.

Closed Thread