It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

kg21678 HB User
Going from bystolic to calan sr any advice?

Hi everyone im getting switched from bystolic 5 mg to 120 mg of calan sr, I have a few problems though, it states to use a lot of caution driving while taking this drug, this is the reason i am getting off the bystolic, I'm wondering if I need to call my doc and tell him to put me back on norvasc any suggestions, has anyone been on calan sr ? I'm just looking for a drug that is good for a 27 year old active guy, i went into the DR's office today and my bp reading was 130/90 on 2.5 mg of bystolic, but i was very anxious.

Last edited by kg21678; 02-11-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: Going from bystolic to calan sr any advice?

BYSTOLIC is OK, CALAN is a cacium blocker, similar to NORVASC. They are notorious for leg swelling/edema and hot flushes. In my opinion the best blood pressure drug is one of the ARB drugs. Some names are BENICAR, DIOVAN and COZAAR, they are proven safe and effective. The main side effect (though less then Ace inhibitors) can be a dry cough.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-16-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
(male)

kg21678 HB User

Thank you very much for that information I don't know what to do anymore with these medications!! They are making me go nuts, Im going to bring up those other medications to my doctor before i fill that prescription because in my feeling is that they tell you for hypertension to exercise so the maybe just maybe u can get off the medication, but then they prescribe you a medication that makes it difficult for you to walk a few feet, kinda defeats the purpose if i have to become a vegetable I was very active before all these BP meds

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-08-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

BP,

I believe all medications specify use caution when driving till you know how the medicine effects you. I take BYSTOLIC and have no problems driving and side effects often improve over time. Other beta blockers give you a little shortness of breath and trouble being active. As I mentioned in my last post the ARB drug BENICAR is great for blood pressure control and most are OK on this drug.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - I also take Bystolic (5mg) and am very satisfied with the results, even though my systolic pressure is rarely the recommended 120. I have never had problems with driving, etc., no edema; in fact, I haven't had any side effects so far (taking it since July, 2008). I say 'so far' because apparently side effects can appear at any time. I also take enalapril and HCTZ. Bystolic is supposed to lower your diastolic pressure and pulse and has done that for me, so it surprises me that you said your diastolic reading was 90. I don't know anything about the other drug you mentioned. If you've given Bystolic a real chance, and it still makes you feel tired, etc., then, of course, you should switch to another drug. good luck!
Ace - glad Bystolic is working for you again! It's not perfect, but at least I feel normal, and I've decided that I'd rather feel good than have the 120/80 recommended blood pressure reading all day! My doctor even agrees with me! Mabent

Old 03-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

It appears Bystolic has to be taken for several months before your body begins to adjust to this medication. Many medications appear OK for the first couple of months, and later you discover some negative side effects. Bystolic appears to get better over time. It will improve your EKG results, and lower inflammation in your arteries. My last CRP (Cardio Inflammation test) was 0.16,Normal is less than 1.0. My CRP was never so perfect. I'm reluctant to switch to another medication. My doctor did say that Bystolic is known to target and improve many heart related issues.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-08-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
(male)

kg21678 HB User

Well I've been on Calan SR for a few weeks now, I notice that during sex i am constantly short of breath, also I have difficulty standing in one place for too long (although i had the same issue with the bystolic). I was exercising the other day Very light weight for myself 135 pounds on the bench press (im accustomed to starting off at 225) and after 4 or 5 sets if i stand up from laying down, i am tottaly out of wack, i feel like im getting ready to collapse its very strange, and my heart starts racing. Is this a normal side effect? I've insisted to my doctor to refer me to a cardiologist but he says I do not need to see one since my EKG was normal, and all my blood work came back normal.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi -
So - what did your doctor say could be causing the feelings you have when you stand up?? Surely he didn't say that this is normal! Have you been checking your blood pressure at home? 130/90 isn't that high in my opinion, especially when taken in a doctor's office.
I don't know anyone who takes calan sr. Do you take any other b/p drugs besides the calan?
Could you just go to see a cardiologist on your own, or do you need a referral? I would think that your doctor would give you a referral to a cardiologist if you insist. Or at least he should take other tests himself instead of just ignoring your symptoms!
Good luck! Mabent

Closed Thread