It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

caz72me HB User
Unhappy Dizzyness & Headaches

I'm 36 and I have a history of high BP and also have diabetes, diabetes control is good and I have a HB1AC of 5.8, but blood pressure has gradually got higher over the past year, I have quite a bit of stress at home (my kids not getting on with their step-dad .. does my head in and makes me very upset when they all argue) and I don't think thats helped with my BP as I've actually managed to loose a stone and the BP has gone up and not down. My highest reading last month was a diastolic of 115 (can't remember the systolic as Doc said that bit was ok), since then I've had more high diastolics with the lowest being 103, so GP referred me to Hospital for them to prescribe the correct drugs for me (also taking infertility meds so had to be compatible with them), been to hospital, they have chosen AlphaMethylDopa but I have to now wait for them to write to my GP and she has to prescribe it, does my head in as its all because spending restrictions in the PCT's being the reason that it has to go back to my GP to prescribe and why the hospital couldn't. Anyway the delay is worrying me, it has now been a good 2-3 months since my BP diastolic shot up into the 100/110's what with all the waiting for a hospital appt and I've been having alot of headaches in that time. My reason for writing today is that today has not been good, I have felt dizzy and had a bit of fuzzy vision and nausea so I took my BP at home and earlier it was 155/110 and now a few hours later its still 166/104. I've had a cold and assume its just that but I am finding my breathing a bit funny too, but as I said my sinuses are still strange from my cold last week so may just be that, got a bit of side pain but that may be my chest hurting from the cough last week. Do you think I should cause a fuss at the GP's tomorrow or just leave it be until they contact me when my prescription is ready, I don't want to go down there telling them that I'm self testing but I'm also worried about something happening like a stroke or whatever the risks of high BP are. My husband is away on business so can't just go and get checked at ED as I'd have no-one to look after the kids so a bit stuck and a bit confused on what to do.

C x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: Dizzyness & Headaches

You say you are going to see your doc tomorrow. Most certainly bring your bp readings to them. They are too high, you need them to address the problem. Many things may be causing the rise, as you say, but nevertheless, it's too high and needs to come down. Don't be a silent hero, be a strong advocate for your health, speak up and let them help you get your readings under control.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

what was your pulse rate? A ''low'' pulse rate can cause one to feel dizzy and faint.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz72me View Post
I'm 36 and I have a history of high BP and also have diabetes, diabetes control is good and I have a HB1AC of 5.8, but blood pressure has gradually got higher over the past year, ...
One common cause of chronic, difficult to treat high blood pressure is Insulin Resistance.

I went for years with chronically high blood pressure. It was only after I figured out that I was Insulin Resistant and went on a very demanding diet of frequent, low calorie, high fiber, small meals that I was able to get my blood pressure down to healthier levels, and lose weight.

I've tracked, studied, evaluated my blood pressure since 1998, and, as a result, have made diet, exercise, lifestyle and medication changes. I currently have over 26,500 blood pressure readings in my database.
  • For the entire year of 2003: my blood pressure average was 151.2 / 95.7 based on 1032 readings.
  • For 2004: it was 145.7 / 90.5 based on 2065 readings. I went on the Insulin Resistant diet starting December, 2004.
  • For the entire year of 2005: my average blood pressure, on the diet, reduced down to 138.6 / 85.7 based on 2526 readings. Still too high but at least I was experiencing improving results.
  • For 2006: 135.6 / 78.7 based on 3269 readings. Getting better each year on the diet.
  • For 2007: 125.8 / 73.7 based on 2720 readings.
  • For 2008: 122.1 / 72.1 based on 2543 readings.
  • For 2009: 127.9 / 73.2 based on 595 readings.

It took years of diet for my body to significantly recover from Insulin Resistance. My blood sugar levels are consistently at very healthy levels, and I am able to consume more calories. However, as I have increased my calories, I think that it has caused an increase in my blood pressure averages for this year. Not quite sure yet, but 2008 is the first year of increased blood pressure, albeit still at fairly healthy levels.

I started a thread, back in January, 2005, here in the High & Low Blood Pressure subject with the title asking: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

The link is: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url]

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-17-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
(female)

caz72me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms58 View Post
You say you are going to see your doc tomorrow. Most certainly bring your bp readings to them. They are too high, you need them to address the problem. Many things may be causing the rise, as you say, but nevertheless, it's too high and needs to come down. Don't be a silent hero, be a strong advocate for your health, speak up and let them help you get your readings under control.
I'm only going into the surgery to collect my diabetes meds script so will only see the receptionist, but think I will chase up everything with the BP meds and tell them that I'm worrying more as a result and my BP is high at home, just have to get through that wall of steel better known as GP Receptionists.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
(female)

caz72me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesflus View Post
what was your pulse rate? A ''low'' pulse rate can cause one to feel dizzy and faint.
my pulse rate was 106, but have no idea if thats good, bad or average

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
(female)

caz72me HB User

Machaon;

Thanks for that info I will take a look at that thread shortly, I have to see the dieticians for my diabetes soon so it will be interesting to see what they think and suggest too, it can become so confusing with so many different suggestions, alot of people swear by the low carbs thing, but as I don't really eat meat and don't particulary want to live on veggies (don't mind the odd few but not that keen on too many) thats a difficult one for me to follow, your suggestion sounds easier to follow but its fitting it into my life that will be a challenge and a half. At the moment I am only allowed 3 meals a day as have to test my blood sugars before, 2 hours after meals and then before bed etc etc and fill in a record sheet to take to my next appointment in a month. Having more meals than this would be a total nightmare for me as I still work (in a hospital of all places) and would only get the one meal break per day, then I'm lucky if we get to eat before 7pm with collecting the kids, getting home and cooking, I really believe all these bad eating times have contributed to my problems but financially at the moment I am unable to change work hours.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-17-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz72me View Post
... your suggestion sounds easier to follow but its fitting it into my life that will be a challenge and a half.
Working, taking care of a family and eating small, frequent meals borders on the impossible for many. I am retired, so it's fairly easy for me to do, and also a fun way to spend my day, eating almost all the time.

The concept is: not eating more calories than are healthy for one's body, at any one meal. If too many calories are consumed during a meal, then the body has to produce excess Insulin to handle the increased blood sugar, and excess blood sugar is stored as fat mostly in the stomach area.

The reason for the frequent meals, is so that one's body gets proper sustenance during the day. How one fits healthier eating into one's diet is a real challenge. One thing for which there is no doubt is, that the healthier one eats, the healthier one is.

When the body mishandles Insulin, all hell breaks loose in the body, including higher blood pressure, erratic heartbeats, and other troublesome symptoms. Insulin is one of the most important, critical hormones.

Perhaps your dietician can come up with a plan, with your input, that can better fit your demanding schedule, and a meal plan that you can enjoy. It will be interesting to see what you finally come up with, which will hopefully bring down those unhealthy blood pressure levels.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
(female)

caz72me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms58 View Post
Unfortunately as per usual, the surgery staff were useless, even though they agreed my readings were high, they could only get me seen on the 4th March, apparentely the doctor has requested an urgent appointment for me to see her to get put on meds but the reception staff say the 4th March is the earliest they can 'fit' me in on their system, my husband is a little annoyed at them and wants us to change surgeries, although I know its a common thing in the UK and I hear alot of people complain in the same way so not sure moving GP's will help.

Closed Thread