It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

Shanifaye HB User
Are all ace inhibitors and beta blockers the same?

A little back history, last August I quit smoking after 20 years and two packs a day. I did it by going through the counseling with the cancer society and having a very good plan in place...I made sure increased food intake was fresh veggies so as not to pack on the pounds. Well long story short the end of October I found that the problems I started having that I THOUGHT were related to stopping were actually diabetic symptoms. I was diagnosed type 2 and as having high blood pressure (up until this time, my entire life it was never high) Dr put me on Lisinopril and my diabetes meds. I developed what I now know to be the "lisinopril cough" and after 2 1/2 months of being driven insane with it, she switched me to Atenolol, 25 mgs a day for the last 3 weeks. Since I started taking it I have had:
constant headache (it NEVER goes away)
I cannot seem to get warm
stomach is torn up all the time
I feel angry or on the verge of a huge crying fit ALL the time
totally exhuasted no matter how much I sleep (and it seems to be a lot these days)
my face is all bloated and yesterday I noticed my hands and feet are starting to swell

basically I feel so much like crap the lisinopril cough is beginning to look good to me.

I have a call into my dr and I've read you're not supposed to stop taking the Atenolol (even though I have, I didnt take one last nite..I just couldnt make myself swallow the stupid pill), but Im hoping that since I've only been on it 3 weeks and its not a high dose it wont be a big deal to stop.

My question is, is there anyone else that had the sames kinds of issues with both of the pills I've been on and is diabetic and found one that worked and didnt rob you of your personal life? My Bp was running around 150/110 with a pulse rate of 131, and it has def come down. I am honestly afraid to start on another new medication...Im so tired of the stupid side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: Are all ace inhibitors and beta blockers the same?

Ace Inhibitors such as ENALAPRIL, RAMIPRIL and LISINOPRIL are known for a nagging dry cough. The beta blocker ATENOLOL is an older and less effective beta blocker (as far as the latest research is showing). Atenolol also has a greater tendency to raise blood glucose levels. Maybe you can ask your doctor for samples of the newest beta blocker called BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol). Though it is a newer pill it has been used in Europe for a number of years. This pill may have less side effects as far as swelling, bloating and weight problems are concerned. Other beta blockers are TOPROL/METOPROLOL (the most popular HBP drug). With FDA approved indications for hypertension, heart failure, arrythmia, heart attack prevention.. among others. Another choice is COREG/Carvedilol..

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-18-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

Shanifaye HB User

thanks for that info about the BS levels...mine have been going up the last few weeks too and I couldnt figure out why, I hadnt read that it could affect them, so now it makes sense why my 2 hour tests have jumped from 130 to 200!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

ms58 HB User

Shanifaye, Get off the beta blocker as soon as you can. You are like me and many others, not a candidate for this class of drug. Your side effects are classic bb negative side effects. I unfortunately was on it for 6 months before my reactions started. You are lucky, only 3 weeks and it should be easy to get off.

I take Lisinopril with no problem, but many others have the cough.

Have you tried a diuretic yet. I don't know how it mixes with diabetes, but it works very well for me and has very few side effects tho you need to drink lots of water which causes many trips to the restroom, but that is nothing compared to getting sicker with a beta blocker.

Last edited by ms58; 02-17-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

Shanifaye HB User

thanks no I havent gone the diuretic route yet. I just got off the phone with the dr office and they have called in amlodipine which is evidently a different class? I will have to do my research on this one now and see whats up. I feel better now, I mean I knew there were side effects to the beta blocker, but I was SO miserable coming off the lisinopril that I figured the new one couldnt be worse...how wrong I was!!

I drink so much water now and of course it goes right thru me I'd hate to think how I'd be on a diuretic lol

Old 02-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
(female)

ms58 HB User

The new med they are giving you is a calcium channel blocker. I take Diltiazem CD which is a different calcium channel blocker with a heart rate slower in it, I like it a lot. It works well for me because I have poor perpherial circulation and and they open the vessels. Some people are fine with them, others have swelling. I think the diuretic I take helps reduce swelling somewhat but whatever, I feel well taking the CCB and have no swelling. Good luck on it working well for you. Everyone is so different in their reactions to these meds, you never know what will work till you try it.

Anything is better than bb as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by ms58; 02-17-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - I had terrible leg swelling and a general feeling of malaise while I was taking amlodopine, but, of course people react differently to these drugs.
It caused my blood sugar to rise, even though I do not have diabetes. I have also taken propanolol, which made me very tired.
I have been taking Bystolic since July, and so far I am very pleased with it.
My systolic pressure is high, and Bystolic mainly lowers diastolic pressure; but my blood pressure is 120/64 enough times during the day, and while I would prefer that it be always low, I am willing to have it fluctuate (up to 150/80 if it means that I can feel normal with no side effects. My only problem is that my insurance (Medicare) will not accept this drug. That is, before they will accept it I have to have tried all the generic beta-blockers for 2 months each with bad side effects! And I do not want to go through that, so it's worth it to me to pay full price. However, you may not have this problem with your provider.I feel that it has fewer side effects than the other beta-blockers and had been used in Europe for years before being approved in De. 2007 by the FDA. Good luck in finding the right drug for you! It isn't easy! Mabent

Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

I forgot to add that I also take enalapril (ace inhibitor) and have taken it for at least 5 years. Then my systolic pressure suddenly jumped to 160, even though the diastolic stayed at 70 or 80. That's when the amlodopine was added and when my swelling, etc. problems started. Mabent

Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

The swelling in the hands & feet remind me too much of the drug induced lupus reaction that I got from Cozaar. Is there any swelling in the knees? If there is, see the DR. at once. My blood hemoglobin dropped & I was exhausted. The reaction damaged my knees so much that I have to wear elastic bandages to walk. The upper arms were damaged too & caused a lot of pain. I was on it for 13 days. Fam

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Mabent - I'm glad Bystolic is still working OK for you.... My CRP Inflammation level which is a serious marker for future heart disease should be less than 1.My CRP level dropped from 5.6 to .016, after switching back to Bystolic. Not many pills produce these dramatic results after 5 weeks.

Shanifaye - Amlodipine/Norvasc is known for ankle swelling/edema. Safer choices for glucose appear to be Diovan, Benicar and Bystolic. The pills Benicar and especially Micardis are supposed to improve blood glucose......

Old 02-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
(female)

Shanifaye HB User

Thanks Ace, I think Im going to be calling my doctor again, since I already have issues with edema (due to the diabetes) it seems to me that its a higher possibility that a med with those side effects might not be so great for me. I really really appreciate all the advice you guys!!

Closed Thread