It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
DASH diet again

Folks,

My annual physical is coming up (age 47) and I'm preparing for the cardio and BP parts if it. Last BP reading I had was exactly one year ago, 118/70.

In order to prepare, I am going to try and adhere to the DASH diet (in addition to the usual exercise and supplement regimen) as strictly as possible. I use it for the most part, but fall of the wagon with semi-regularity.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could share your experiences with the diet, specifically (a) whether it actually DID work for you, and (b) how fast it took before you noticed your BP dropping. Looking for some good feedback here, and hoping...really hoping I make one more saving throw at avoiding meds.

Thanks!

tamuprof45

Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: DASH diet again

Are you looking for "insurance" to get a good number at the doctor, or do you have blood pressure you are trying to bring down? I know I've read many of your posts and recall being able to relate to many of them (white coat). In addition to DASH (which I have never done) - you might try working out before the doctors visit? I often get lower numbers after a good cardio workout (which I do 5 times a week).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Tam45,

Know what you mean as my Dr's app. is coming up too. I've found that exercising right before my DR's app. just drives my b/p up.

I follow as much of the DASH diet as I can but I always have anyways. The bread portion is too much for me as are the amount of calories if I ate everything.

Beth's did a series of posts last year about the Dash diet & how it lowered her b/p. Have you gotten a sleep study done? I was just reading that sleep apnea actually results in death of cells in the brain from lack of oxygen. I found that it lowered my b/p about 10 points systolic. I am on lebatalol & HCTZ. Good luck on your appointment. Fam

Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Have not had a sleep study done but 99% sure that's a problem I don't have. I sleep pretty well, have no feelings of tiredness...no indications of snoring or waking up choking (so I've been told), and definitely get plenty of REM sleep judging by the frequency of dreams I have. A few too many drinks on rare occasions definitely affects that though!

Have read Beth's very helpful posts re DASH, but I'm trying to get a broader sense of how many folks here have tried it and whether its worked or not. Having 3 more "healthy" friends all come down with HBP this year is giving me the jitters...all having passed the magic age of 40...ugh.

tamuprof45

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat View Post
Are you looking for "insurance" to get a good number at the doctor, or do you have blood pressure you are trying to bring down? I know I've read many of your posts and recall being able to relate to many of them (white coat). In addition to DASH (which I have never done) - you might try working out before the doctors visit? I often get lower numbers after a good cardio workout (which I do 5 times a week).

I suppose "insurance" is a good way to put it. If I have it, well I have it, and that's that. But I want to know I did everything (literally) I could to avoid it before accepting medications.

tamuprof45

Closed Thread