It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
(female)

nice2nou422 HB User
Can someone help me understand side effects of Lisinopril & Hydrochlorothiazide?

Hi everyone......these drugs are very new to me. I went to the DR last week and was taken off Metoprolol 50 mg once daily to _ Lisinopril 20 mg once per day with Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg once per day. I really just don't care for the side effects...it seems as if the combination of these two drugs make me a bit hyper.....I already deal with anxiety and don't really need the extra boost of energy I have seemed to gain from these drugs...can anyone tell me something about their own personal experience with these drugs..or at least one of them? I appreciate any feed back......I'm hoping this feeling will pass in time......my BP was 140/73...which is not horribly high...but high enough for BP meds.....I'm 47 yrs old...I quit smoking...lost 60 pounds and am working towards a goal of not needing any meds.......guess we will see... :-(

Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Can someone help me understand side effects of Lisinopril & Hydrochlorothiazide?

Is the 140 at the DR's? What is it at home & work? I would say you are over medicated unless you have other health issues like Diabetes. Do you realize most people's b/p goes up 20 points just by going to the Dr's for an office visit. I suggest you get a copy of the package insert (info sheet from the manufacturer). You need to inform yourself of the side effects of both of these drugs.

I'm on HCTZ & I certainly don't have hyper symptoms. I did get those symptoms from Clonidine. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

archie9uk HB User
Re: Can someone help me understand side effects of Lisinopril & Hydrochlorothiazide?

I have been taking Lisinopril for almost five years. To start off with (for the first couple of weeks) I remember feeling pretty weak and tired - quite the opposite of you! I don't have any side effects now as far as I can tell.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

nice2nou422 HB User

Thank you for the reply....I thought the medication was a bit much for my BP....but new guidlines..???? want a persons BP around the 120/70 range...but taking in the fact I'm 47 and not 18...should be a consideration.....just as my weight is ok with me at 165...I'm 5'9...yet the Drs want it around 150???? I honestly don't get this.....I do appreciate your feed back and plan on talking with my Dr...I have to have my potessium (SP?) checked once a month.....because I am on the Hydrochlorothiazide.....

Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2nou422 View Post
...but new guidlines..???? want a persons BP around the 120/70 range...but taking in the fact I'm 47 and not 18...should be a consideration...
As we get older, and our systems naturally weaken with age, it is more important for us to stay healthy, than when we were younger. The more healthy our average blood pressure, the better chance we have to age "gracefully".

Quote:
..just as my weight is ok with me at 165...I'm 5'9...yet the Drs want it around 150???? I honestly don't get this.....
Eating a healthy diet and doing appropriate exercise, are the two best "medications" that we can take, especially as we get older. A healthy, balanced, low calorie diet, combined with exercise insures a healthier body, which is especially beneficial as we age.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

nice,

It could be the switch from metoprolol. You are suppose to wean off beta blockers gradually. The reason is that beta blockers like metoprolol and atenolol have a calming and anti-anxiety effect. You could be having a mild withdrawal reaction.....

Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I'm with ACE in that beta blockers should be tapered & many Dr's don't do that. My husband went through a horrible withdrawal & he was only on a beta for a week. But I just don't see the calming effect that everyone talks about from beta blockers & I have been on Inderal & now I'm on Labetalol. They certainly didn't block my hyperthyroidism symptoms. Fam

Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

jip0890 HB User

Hi Nice. I take lisinopril and have no side effects whatsoever. i took the HCT and, oh my gosh, i felt worse than before i was diagnosed with hypertension. The doc took me off - told me to break the salt shaker and watch all sodium intake - and i am a happy girl. My only exception is that i have spikes in the bp periodically (last night i had one that pushed it up to 200/110 and a pulse rate of 170.....stayed laying down for awhile and it came down to 160/90. I was able to go back to sleep with the help of a valium and feel pretty good today. have a stress test and echo test to do next week.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
(female)

jip0890 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2nou422 View Post
Hi everyone......these drugs are very new to me. I went to the DR last week and was taken off Metoprolol 50 mg once daily to _ Lisinopril 20 mg once per day with Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg once per day. I really just don't care for the side effects...it seems as if the combination of these two drugs make me a bit hyper.....I already deal with anxiety and don't really need the extra boost of energy I have seemed to gain from these drugs...can anyone tell me something about their own personal experience with these drugs..or at least one of them? I appreciate any feed back......I'm hoping this feeling will pass in time......my BP was 140/73...which is not horribly high...but high enough for BP meds.....I'm 47 yrs old...I quit smoking...lost 60 pounds and am working towards a goal of not needing any meds.......guess we will see... :-(

Thanks again.
I am on 40mg of Lisinopril and my bp wasn't down as low as my doctor wanted so he put me on 25 mg of HCTZ and when I take that drug I feel horrible. I can't get my breath, feel like I have bricks on my shoulders many times, and generally want to sit on the couch and do nothing....no energy. My cardiologist, when I told him about the HCTZ, told me to stop taking it. I have a stress test and echocardiogram on Wednesday and then, once they find out the results of that test, I'm sure will prescribe something.

I have had a couple of nights when I woke up in the middle of the night with my blood pressure up to 235/173 and my pulse over 90....scared me to death. Went to ER, they kept me there for two hours, did blood workup, chest xray and EKG and said it was all normal. At the end of the two hours the bp was down to 160/90 and they let me go home.

This morning it was 137/73 and I feel good today. Did not take the HCTZ last night or this morning. Really do not like the side effects.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

jip0890, same thing happened to me last Dec, I woke up with high pulse and high BP. I went to Dr and prescribed 10mg lisinopril which did nothing. But I asked to start on low dose. Added 5gm amlodipine and both together brought my BP way down. But my lifestyle and poor diet caused my high BP- I was 35pbs overweight and eating bad foods with lots of sugar and salt. I immediately stopped eating any sugar and started eating healthy, close to the DASH diet. I stopped taking lisinopril and cut my amlodpinie in half.

Are you eating healthy and have proper weight? And exercising?

I lost 35lbs and now my BP is fine in the day but raises up somewhat at night, but not like before. I also started exercising. I got an EKG and echogram and both ok. I'm not going to do a stress test because Dr Furhman says a stress test can find artery blockage, but does not detect
the vulnerable plaque that is not causing blockage but is the cause of the majority of heart attacks and strokes. He recommends ultrasound to check the carotid artery and the EndoPAT machine test to check endothelial dysfunction. These two tests more accurately predict cardiac events. And they are an easy non-invasive way to measure overall artery health, and even better, they can be used to measure artery blockage reversal- which Furhman has years of success in his patients.

I also recommend checking out a natural herbal supplement that has lots of great reveiws that lowered high BP , it's called Levodyn.

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
(female)

jip0890 HB User

Thank you for the information on the natural herb. I will ask my doctor about it and see what he says. I would love to be taking something natural. I was told by someone that they ate a banana every day and that lowered their bp.

I am on the Weight Watcher program and have almost broken the salt shaker....really don't use much salt at all however, we do eat out at least 3-4 times a week and that is a killer for sodium. I walk every evening for 15-45 minutes.

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Closed Thread