It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
How long for sodium elevated BP to drop?

Question: if one falls off the wagon and has one obscenely salty meal, roughly how long can one expect the effect of that one meal on BP to last? I realize there is probably no average answer for this one! Thanks!

tamuprof45

Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: How long for sodium elevated BP to drop?

I would go by my weight before & after the salty meal. Your weight should drop at least a 1 lb. Also, you should start urinating more to get rid of the salt via urine. Increasing your protein intake for a day might help too. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

that's a very interesting question, I would think you need to be on a completely salt free diet for a couple of days (at least?) for it to be unbiased.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

If I was trying to get rid of the extra salt, I would make sure I drank 8 glasses (8 oz) of fluid during the day.

As the above poster says to make this a unbiased study you would have to go salt free for a couple of days. I think he just wants to make sure the increased salt doesn't affect his b/p for his Dr's appointment.

We who have to watch our weight all the time go through this all the time especially if we attend weight loss support groups & get weighed in. If it isn't calories, it is salt!!! Fam

Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I don't know the answer. Everyone is different and individual responses to dietary sodium intake vary. Many mechanisms are involved in long-term blood pressure regulation, with the kidneys playing a major role.

Besides other important functions in the body, sodium and chloride help regulate blood pressure and maintain fluid balance. One gram of sodium is equivalent to 2.5 grams of salt (e.g. sodium chloride).
I think that any acute (not chronic) increases in dietary sodium are quickly corrected by our several internal-control mechanisms (especially pressure natriuresis). The increases in blood pressure after a high sodium meal are transient and, if infrequent, do not have a long-term effect on blood pressure.

The amounts of water and sodium ingested and excreted determine the blood volume. Fortunately, the kidneys regulate the amounts of water and sodium lost into the urine, thus keeping the blood volume within a normal range. Large sodium fluctuations in sodium concentrations are thus avoided. When an excessive amount of water or sodium is consumed, the kidneys respond by excreting more water and sodium. So, a balance of blood volume is maintained. Defects in this or other mechanisms result in an increased blood volume. Increased blood volume ultimately leads to an in increased cardiac output and arterial blood pressure.

The time it takes for the kidneys to process the sodium and/or water (pressure natriuresis) depends on a number of factors. It is a complex ralationship.

flowergirl

Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
(male)

abergeron HB User

Do a really hard cardio workout. The more you sweat, the more decrease in blood sodium concentration. Too low sodium can actually be a problem for some athletes--that's why drinks like gatorade are loaded up with sodium.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Very interesting answers, thanks! I upped my intake of two herbal diuretics (celery seed and dandelion) and that seemed to make a difference.

tamuprof45

Closed Thread