It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
My Sodium Intake watch thread

I haven't been watching my sodium intake like I was wanted to, I'm 21 years old and I'm sick of being on Meds for my BP and dealing with their side effects. Even though My bp is not my fault, I want to see if sodium does play a factor for me. So for today until 2 weeks I will try my best to limit the amount of salt I consume.

Background info: Very extreme high blood pressure since I was 15, due to renal issues (I don't want to go further on that topic sorry). I played soccer and was really good at it, Basketball too. And I was pretty active individual. My pants size waist is 29 (to make my butt look good for the ladies )

Meds: More than a year ago, my BP shot up to 250! and was hospitialized, and took at least 6 different medications 2-3x a day to bring it down. Last summer I was down to 20mg of Norvasc and 600mg of Labetalol 2x a day. And now due to supplements, I'm down to 10mg of Norvasc at night and Labetalol 300mg 2x a day.

Goal: Well my doctor wants me to be on 5mg of Norvasc daily as a end result, it's not happening and he doesn't know, he speculates maybe some blood vessals are not wide enough like its suppose to be. But who knows.

What am I going to do: Limit my sodium intake as much as humanly possible to see if sodium does really effect my BP.

I already got the "go ahead" from my nephrologist. But he said I should be living life instead of going on quests to bring down my BP, lol.

I'll update everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: My Sodium Intake watch thread

stophypertension,

Quote:
Background info: Very extreme high blood pressure since I was 15, due to renal issues
You will be fine IF you keep your blood pressure at target level. Maintaining a good blood pressure control is absolutely ESSENTIAL and extremely important for people with renal issues. Reducing trigs and increasing HDL to optimal levels-which, for us, differ from those considered "normal" in others - is also very important.

Quote:
And now due to supplements, I'm down to 10mg of Norvasc at night and Labetalol 300mg 2x a day.
That's great! CCBs are also reno-protective, though not as much as ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Which supplements have you used to reduce your blood pressure? I think your doctor should order the necessary tests instead of just......"speculating" ....about your condition. Many medical issues can be corrected or even reversed, using specific treatments as early as possible. What really, really surprises me is that up until NOW you haven't been required to limit your sodium intake!!! I strongly disagree with your nephrologist when he advises you not to worry about your blood pressure!!! That's unheard of!!! I don't know your circumstances but, believe me, you must maintain good blood pressure control.

I read that blood pressure in people with kidney problems and CKD is more sodium-sensitive. It will be very interesting to follow your progress. Good luck!!!

flowergirl

Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Re: My Sodium Intake watch thread

quick update: i kept my intake of sodium less than 1000mg/day, got a full night sleep = at least 20+ points lowered (systolic) immediately

i didn't slept well two day and ate very bad foods throughout the days and it kinda went back to normal and then some

conclusion realized from those couple of days:

- a good night sleep is a must
- keep your sodium intake at a minimal

hmmm i wonder what will happen in the long run

Closed Thread