It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Blood Pressure extremes for each hour of each day for an entire year.

I've now taken my blood pressure 26,769 times since 1998, or about seven times per day, for the past 10+ years.

The question is: Why would anyone in their right mind do that?!

Well...... I've been struggling with some nasty diseases, including Heart Failure and pre-Diabetes for over 20 years. About 10 years ago, I was getting a lot weaker and a lot worse. I started taking my blood pressure, at home, and found out, to my great surprise, that I had high blood pressure. I had no idea. I didn't know much about blood pressure, at that time, so I started to track my blood pressure to see if it remained high all day long, or just once in a while. After all, how does one deal with a problem, if one doesn't know the extent of the problem.

After a few days, it was obvious that my blood pressure was high most of the day, and got especially higher at night. I started to try different things in order to try to reduce my blood pressure, like relaxing, deep breathing, experimenting with my meds, reducing sodium and caffeine, etc.

Anyway........ here I am, ten years later, and because of my close tracking, I've been able to greatly improve my health and my blood pressure and my pre-diabetes, and significantly reduce my health care costs. Despite having Heart Failure, Chronic High Blood Pressure, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Tachycardia and Immune System Dysfunction, I spend very little on health care, mostly because what I have learned by closely monitoring my blood pressure.

I'd like to share some of my data with others, so that others can compare their results with mine. Although we are all different, the data will, at least, reflect what one of us went through in dealing with our high blood pressure. I hope that this unusual and unique information can be helpful to others, also having to deal with chronically high blood pressure.

The following is my data from the year 2003, summarized by hour of day. Hour 1 represents 1am and hour 24 represents 12 midnight.

I've listed the hour, the number of blood pressure readings, the average blood pressure for each hour, the minimum blood pressure, and the maximum blood pressure for each hour.

To read the data, let's look at hour 22, which is 10pm. For the entire year of 2003, I took my blood pressure 60 nights at 10pm, the average blood pressure of all of the 10pm blood pressure readings was 163/103, the minimum blood pressure for all of the 60 blood pressure readings at 10pm was 134/83 and the maximum blood pressure that I had during the entire year of 2003, at 10pm was 188/119.

My average blood pressure for all of 2003 was 151/96. As can been seen, my problem was not with extremely high blood pressure, in the 200s, but with constantly high blood pressure all day long for the entire year.

In contrast, the close monitoring of my Blood Pressure, and the reduced spending on my health care has resulted in significantly reduced blood pressure and much better health. My Blood Pressure average for all of 2008 was 122/72, based on 2543 readings.

Average blood pressure readings for 2003:

Hour
  1. Readings=3; Average=141/86; Minimum=125/74; Maximum=157/101
  2. Readings=6; Average=144/90; Minimum=133/75; Maximum=154/100
  3. Readings=7; Average=143/93; Minimum=128/84; Maximum=159/101
  4. Readings=7; Average=151/98; Minimum=140/82; Maximum=162/106
  5. Readings=8; Average=150/97; Minimum=117/76; Maximum=177/110
  6. Readings=16; Average=153/100; Minimum=141/88; Maximum=172/108
  7. Readings=54; Average=158/102; Minimum=127/83; Maximum=182/112
  8. Readings=83; Average=147/93; Minimum=109/68; Maximum=180/108
  9. Readings=80; Average=139/88; Minimum=108/70; Maximum=168/106
  10. Readings=88; Average=143/90; Minimum=108/73; Maximum=167/107
  11. Readings=71; Average=147/94; Minimum=128/78; Maximum=184/110
  12. Readings=73; Average=148/95; Minimum=120/71; Maximum=172/119
  13. Readings=39; Average=151/96; Minimum=135/84; Maximum=178/114
  14. Readings=21; Average=148/92; Minimum=130/78; Maximum=175/102
  15. Readings=41; Average=152/94; Minimum=126/83; Maximum=176/111
  16. Readings=59; Average=146/92; Minimum=122/74; Maximum=179/114
  17. Readings=37; Average=147/93; Minimum=130/78; Maximum=164/102
  18. Readings=46; Average=152/95; Minimum=132/76; Maximum=174/110
  19. Readings=64; Average=155/99; Minimum=111/76; Maximum=179/115
  20. Readings=71; Average=162/101; Minimum=128/89; Maximum=185/116
  21. Readings=75; Average=163/102; Minimum=135/81; Maximum=187/118
  22. Readings=60; Average=163/103; Minimum=134/83; Maximum=188/119
  23. Readings=19; Average=156/98; Minimum=135/81; Maximum=179/114
  24. Readings=4; Average=145/97; Minimum=128/87; Maximum=153/103

All of 2003: Readings=1032; Average=151/96; Minimum=108/68; Maximum=188/119

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-06-2009 at 01:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
jeffreyd56 (05-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Blood Pressure extremes for each hour of each day for an entire year.

My blood pressure is real unstable and makes me nervous. I am supposed to have agressive chemo possibly this summer. erase my immune system 100%. I am more worried about my blood pressure than catching an infectikn or any other complication

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 03-04-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

That is very interesting! I have never seen anything like it. Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I have several questions.

The information you have presented represents just one year. What were your hourly blood pressure trends throughout the subsequent years of monitoring, as your blood pressure improved, when compared to 2003 data?

There is a dramatic increase in your blood pressure around 5:00-6:00 p.m, with the blood pressure remaining elevated for the rest of the evening. Is that still the case in 2009? Do you have any theories as to the cause?

Do you think that your rather unique health status has any bearing on the nightly blood pressure elevations? My blood pressure followed similar trends for a time, until an unexplained, significant and worrisome drop in blood pressure occurred. It has remained low -too low, I think-since.

Does your blood pressure still follow the same circadian rhythm with nighly dips occurring between the hours 12:00 to 5:00 a.m., as it did in 2003? Has that changed or become more pronounced as your blood pressure improved?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
That is very interesting! I have never seen anything like it. Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I have several questions.
Hi Flowergirl!

I was hoping that someone would find the BP statistics and trends interesting. It's information that doesn't exist anywhere else on the web. I wish I had access to similar info when I first found out that I was hypertensive.

Quote:
The information you have presented represents just one year. What were your hourly blood pressure trends throughout the subsequent years of monitoring, as your blood pressure improved, when compared to 2003 data?
Thanks for the request!

I'll run the reports tomorrow and get back to you.

Quote:
There is a dramatic increase in your blood pressure around 5:00-6:00 p.m, with the blood pressure remaining elevated for the rest of the evening. Is that still the case in 2009?
It wasn't the case in 2008.

But...... this year I have fallen off the "diet" wagon. My health has significantly improved. I have more strength, am more alert, very seldom have problems breathing anymore, and my blood sugar levels are at their best levels in decades! In the past, if I increased my carbs, in the slightest, my blood sugar would spike. That is not longer happening! So..... I've been increasing my carbs with absolutely no effect on my blood sugar, and my fats and my proteins, without any increases in symptoms, or weight, except that my belly area (pot) is getting larger.

What has also changed, though, is that my blood pressure is trending higher on the increased calories. It still is at overall healthy levels, but I am experiencing higher blood pressures in the afternoon and evening due to the increase in diet. I am going to stay on the increased calories until my blood pressure either gets into unhealthy levels, or if I suffer from increased problems, especially if the breathing problems return.

After four long years of a small meal, low calorie diet, I can't bear with going back on the strict diet. I just can't mentally cope with it right now. I am really enjoying the increased meal size and calories. But..... each day, my blood pressure seems to trend upwards, so I don't know how much longer I can avoid going back to my much healthier and stricter diet.

Quote:
Do you have any theories as to the cause?
Blood Pressure normally trends up throughout the day. Plus...... I was taking Verapamil three times per day. The afternoon dosage was at 2pm. Three hours after taking Verapamil was it's greatest effect (about 5pm), and then my blood pressure would start trending higher. Also, at that time, I suffered from blood sugar problems (Insulin Resistance), which normally causes increased levels of blood pressure at night.

Quote:
Do you think that your rather unique health status has any bearing on the nightly blood pressure elevations?
The two main causes of my increase in blood pressure during the afternoon and at night is circadian rhythm and blood sugar problems. Almost immediately after I started a small meal, low carb, low calorie, frequent feeding diet, in Dec, 2004, my nightly blood pressure spikes reduced significantly for the first time since 1998. When the body's handling of Insulin is messed up, all hell breaks loose in the body, and is reflected in increased unpleasant health problems, and higher blood pressure.

Quote:
My blood pressure followed similar trends for a time, until an unexplained, significant and worrisome drop in blood pressure occurred. It has remained low -too low, I think-since.
How often do you have complete blood tests, or heart tests? Do you know your ejection fraction? (EF).

Quote:
Does your blood pressure still follow the same circadian rhythm with nightly dips occurring between the hours 12:00 to 5:00 a.m., as it did in 2003? Has that changed or become more pronounced as your blood pressure improved?
I'll have to take a look and get back. One problem with the data for 2003, during those hours, is that there are not many readings, so the data is suspect. I'll take a look at the notes that I took during those early morning hours and see if I had taken any extraordinary measures, at that time, in order to get the blood pressure down.

Your questions were certainly interesting, and, as always, good questions invite constructive thought and interaction.

I hope that you are doing very well, and are not experiencing any increase in uncomfortable symptoms. Are you still having problems with swelling?

Thanks! And...... best of health and luck to you!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Machaon,

Quote:
The two main causes of my increase in blood pressure during the afternoon and at night is circadian rhythm and blood sugar problems. Almost immediately after I started a small meal, low carb, low calorie, frequent feeding diet, in Dec, 2004, my nightly blood pressure spikes reduced significantly for the first time since 1998. When the body's handling of Insulin is messed up, all hell breaks loose in the body, and is reflected in increased unpleasant health problems, and higher blood pressure.
Do you think that our diet affects the drug absorption/bioavailability? I wonder what role, if any, increased insulin levels play in it. Or is it the blood sugar-or lack of it- that is important for enhancing drug absorption?

Have you kept a record of the medications (and dosages) the doctors had you on during the years of blood pressure monitoring? They would have affected your blood pressure readings.

Quote:
How often do you have complete blood tests, or heart tests? Do you know your ejection fraction? (EF).
The heart tests, once or twice a year. My most recent test-an echocardiogram- was a month ago. I had a stress test several months before that. I wonder if anyone will mention the results. I don't think so. My EF was measured as 70 a couple of years ago. I don't know what it is now. Diastolic dysfunction was mentioned but never discussed in detail. My blood and lipids get tested often, at least every three months, but usually more often than that. Now that other things will have to be monitored, there'll be a standing order at the lab.

Quote:
I hope that you are doing very well, and are not experiencing any increase in uncomfortable symptoms. Are you still having problems with swelling?
Surprisingly, there is no swelling at the moment. Even my legs are fine. I can't explain it. I read that one can get abdominal distention, along with peripheral edema, from large protein (albumin) losses, which decrease serum albumin levels overtime. So, there are several good possibilities. My biggest complaint, besides the swelling, is the shortness of breath. I will never get used to it. I can live happily with the rest of my symptoms.

Seeing the huge difference a diet has had on your blood pressure control, I wonder if my blood pressure will be affected by my new dietary restrictions. I am very confused - completely lost is more like it. Maybe a dietician will be able to sort it out.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-04-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Do you think that our diet affects the drug absorption/bioavailability?
I don't know much about it. From the little I have read, eating effects the absorption of some medications more than it effects others. My main interest has been about the interaction between diet and medication, and between medications, because that has always been a problem for me.

Quote:
I wonder what role, if any, increased insulin levels play in it. Or is it the blood sugar-or lack of it- that is important for enhancing drug absorption?
I suffered from Insulin Resistance and Pre-Diabetes, both of which have gotten significantly better over the past four years. When my body was Insulin Resistant, and was producing too much Insulin, and my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were very high and unhealthy, I suffered from much worse and more frequent health problems, including difficult breathing, chest pains, fatigue, tiredness, over-sweating, mental confusion, swelling of my ankles, feet and lower legs, etc.

An unhealthy or inappropriate diet can cause a lot of misery, depending upon the individual. Some people can go for decades, like I did, abusing their bodies with inappropriate diets, and never really suffer. Others, sadly, eating an unhealthy or inappropriate diet, can suffer from significant health problems at a much earlier time in their life.

Quote:
Have you kept a record of the medications (and dosages) the doctors had you on during the years of blood pressure monitoring? They would have affected your blood pressure readings.
A very good point, and valid question!

I've kept very good records of all changes in medications, and this has helped me greatly in figuring out which medications I should be taking. The most interesting and significant findings, all things considered, was that my diet influenced my blood pressure much more than any of the medications that I have ever taken.

If you look at clinical trial results, most blood pressure medications will lower "average" blood pressure only a few points. Someone might experience a significant drop in blood pressure within an hour or two of taking a blood pressure medication, but, on average, over the day, the net result will be only a few points.

I'm going to answer the rest of your post, and provide the Blood Pressure statistics that you requested a little later. I've got to run, for now.

Take care, Flowergirl. I always enjoy our conversations and learning from your experiences and research.

Regards!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-06-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

We enjoy learning from you! I've told my friend about your incredible achievements, and the many helpful experiences and information shared by other posters on this board. She wants to join.
I have a question about the direct effect of food on blood pressure. Do you think that reducing potassium in one's diet will result in an increase in blood pressure? We all know that increased potassium intake in people with normal kidney function has been shown to reduce blood pressure. Is the reverse also true?

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-06-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
We enjoy learning from you! I've told my friend about your incredible achievements, and the many helpful experiences and information shared by other posters on this board. She wants to join.
Thanks for the positive feedback!

I have learned much from reading about others' symptoms and postings including yours, of course. You contribute some very interesting research info!

I would hope that I contribute by showing that Heart Failure is very survivable, and doesn't have to get progressively worse. Plus...... it can be treated relatively inexpensively while still having a reasonably good quality of life. The number one approach to good heart failure management, or, for that matter, good health management, is to get the blood pressure down to healthy levels (which can also be accomplished relatively inexpensively).

Blood Pressure is a body gauge, just like the "temp" gauge in a car, IMHO. A high reading indicates that something is wrong with the body/vehicle.

Quote:
I have a question about the direct effect of food on blood pressure. Do you think that reducing potassium in one's diet will result in an increase in blood pressure? We all know that increased potassium intake in people with normal kidney function has been shown to reduce blood pressure. Is the reverse also true?

flowergirl
That's a tough question. I would think that reducing potassium too much, could cause a rise in blood pressure, but...... what is too much?

Just in browsing through the Internet, I have read opinions that potassium intake should be anywhere from 2 grams (2000 mgs) to 5 grams (5000 mgs) per day. I've got a diet rich in potassium, having at least 5 grams per day. It's the reason I stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor. My diet consists of fruits, veggies, seafood and nuts, most of which are potassium rich foods. Ace Inhibitors cause potassium retention, which was causing me to suffer from increased breathing problems, heartbeat problems, tiredness and fatigue. Since I've stopped taking my Ace Inhibitor, and increased my Coreg, I am feeling much better.

So..... reducing potassium in one's diet would also depend upon the medication(s) one is on. Someone on a potassium sparing med, like an Ace or an Arb, would react differently to either higher or lower dietary potassium.

I think that my answer will just cloud the water more for you, rather than truly answer your question.

Take care...........!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-09-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
My blood pressure is real unstable and makes me nervous.
Somehow I missed your post! Sorry about that!

Sorry to hear about your unstable bp. How unstable is it? Is it stable most of the day, or just unpredictable all the time?

Quote:
I am supposed to have agressive chemo possibly this summer. erase my immune system 100%.
I hope that the chemo works 100%, and that you have a full recovery!

Quote:
I am more worried about my blood pressure than catching an infectikn or any other complication
Will your chemo doctors still give you chemo treatment with a high, or unstable blood pressure?

Blood Pressure is normally lower during the morning. If I was having chemo, I would consider doing it in the morning when my body is most rested and having it's lower levels of blood pressure. I have also read that chemo is more effective during the morning hours.

Take care........... and BEST OF LUCK with your Chemo!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:

I've posted my blood pressure stats for 2008, at the bottom of this post, but haven't had time to examine the trend differences, compared to 2003, except that the readings were much healthier and more consistent in 2008.

A cursory look shows the "normal" trend towards higher afternoon and evening blood pressure than the morning hours. Someone who only takes their blood pressure once in a while, and only in the morning is not getting a true picture of their blood pressure.

Quote:
There is a dramatic increase in your blood pressure around 5:00-6:00 p.m, with the blood pressure remaining elevated for the rest of the evening. Is that still the case in 2009? Do you have any theories as to the cause?
Hmmmm!? The blood pressure seems to jump at around the 13th hour (1pm), and then peaks at the 17th hour (5pm) and then starts dropping around the 20th hour (8pm). I take my Coreg at 6pm at night, so that might explain the lowering blood pressure trend around 8pm.

The kicking in of the Coreg, after 2-3 hours, and then the trailing off of the effects of the Coreg, several hours later, would certainly have an effect on Blood Pressure. It would be interesting to see someone's blood pressure trends who doesn't take any blood pressure/heart medication. Even so, normal blood pressure increases during the afternoon.

Another point: If I would have taken my blood pressure ONLY around 5pm (average 131/78), I would think that I suffered from high blood pressure, which in fact, is probably just normal, healthy blood pressure at that time.

I'm going to address the rest of your questions and observations at a later time. Need to take a break.

Take care...................

Blood Pressure Statistics for 2008

Hour (subtract 12 starting with the 13th hour for PM time.)
  1. Readings: 9 Average: 131/73 Minimum: 110/62 Maximum: 141/82
  2. Readings: 10 Average: 122/73 Minimum: 107/63 Maximum: 135/80
  3. Readings: 12 Average: 126/73 Minimum: 109/59 Maximum: 144/85
  4. Readings: 22 Average: 125/73 Minimum: 101/62 Maximum: 148/85
  5. Readings: 52 Average: 123/71 Minimum: 100/56 Maximum: 147/81
  6. Readings: 171 Average: 120/69 Minimum: 85/52 Maximum: 145/98
  7. Readings: 225 Average: 112/66 Minimum: 89/50 Maximum: 145/84
  8. Readings: 180 Average: 110/65 Minimum: 78/45 Maximum: 143/84
  9. Readings: 157 Average: 118/71 Minimum: 85/48 Maximum: 150/92
  10. Readings: 155 Average: 118/70 Minimum: 86/51 Maximum: 159/89
  11. Readings: 118 Average: 120/71 Minimum: 93/51 Maximum: 146/91
  12. Readings: 150 Average: 121/72 Minimum: 80/54 Maximum: 154/90
  13. Readings: 87 Average: 125/74 Minimum: 105/58 Maximum: 149/93
  14. Readings: 172 Average: 126/75 Minimum: 98/52 Maximum: 154/88
  15. Readings: 75 Average: 126/75 Minimum: 101/57 Maximum: 148/94
  16. Readings: 165 Average: 128/75 Minimum: 99/51 Maximum: 150/95
  17. Readings: 86 Average: 131/78 Minimum: 101/52 Maximum: 160/98
  18. Readings: 185 Average: 129/76 Minimum: 98/59 Maximum: 151/96
  19. Readings: 110 Average: 129/76 Minimum: 105/58 Maximum: 152/86
  20. Readings: 185 Average: 126/74 Minimum: 96/56 Maximum: 158/88
  21. Readings: 114 Average: 125/74 Minimum: 100/57 Maximum: 152/88
  22. Readings: 84 Average: 125/72 Minimum: 103/56 Maximum: 148/84
  23. Readings: 12 Average: 127/72 Minimum: 101/54 Maximum: 142/85
  24. Readings: 7 Average: 120/70 Minimum: 108/64 Maximum: 133/76

For all of 2008: Readings: 2543 Average: 122/72 Minimum: 78/45 Maximum: 160/98

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Mach,

I've read in two journals that no NORMS have been established for round the clock normal b/p's (people not on b/p meds.)

I once read an interesting article by a MD that it may be possible that for some people high b/p is normal & essential for their bodies.

Another thing that puzzles me is that causes of HBP can be so different for different people. Losing weight helps one patient decrease his b/p yet others who are skinny as rails have high b/p.

Fam

Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Mach,

I've read in two journals that no NORMS have been established for round the clock normal b/p's (people not on b/p meds.)
Good point!

Back in 1998, when I first started taking my blood pressure at home, I had no idea about my blood pressure. I only knew that, at times, it was much too high, and I was feeling worse and worse each day.

So...... as time went on, I started learning about MY blood pressure patterns and how my medications effected my blood pressure. I wanted to know how long it took one of my blood pressure meds to kick in, and how long it lasted, or even if it was effective at all? Which of my many meds were working and which ones weren't? One thing for sure was that my heart failure, heart rhythm problems and health was getting worse.

I had stated that blood pressure is lowest during the earlier part of the day, and then rises throughout the afternoon and evening. I still believe this to be true, in general, but your point about "no NORMS being established" is a good one, and makes it even more important for people suffering from unhealthy, risky high blood pressure levels to learn more about their own blood pressure patterns, in order to evaluate the effectiveness of their own blood pressure treatments, but, of course, only if they feel the need. Those who don't have to deal with life-threatening illnesses, which harm one's quality of life, might not feel the need to know the true nature of their blood pressure.

Quote:
I once read an interesting article by a MD that it may be possible that for some people high b/p is normal & essential for their bodies.
To me, blood pressure is merely a body gauge which reflects the overall health of one's body. So...... if someone has elevated blood pressure levels, it is a sign of unhealthy conditions in one's body. Thus, if one's blood pressure is elevated, but that person is not suffering from breathing problems, or headaches, or tiredness, or fatigue, or heart rhythm problems, then perhaps the higher blood pressure is normal for that person?

In my case, as my blood pressure averages got lower, the better my health improved. So...... I am a believer. Back in 1998, it was an effort getting out of bed, and I was unable to do physical exercise or tasks without breathing problems, chest pains and fatigue. I am now doing up to 150 push-ups per day, 400 steppers, 250 weight lifts per day and one hour power walk, after 20+ years of suffering from Heart Failure and other life threatening diseases. Plus, I am approaching 70 years of age. I am a believer!

Quote:
Another thing that puzzles me is that causes of HBP can be so different for different people. Losing weight helps one patient decrease his b/p yet others who are skinny as rails have high b/p.

Fam
To me, a healthy, balanced, appropriate diet is the most important step towards good health and lower blood pressure. If someone loses weight, but isn't eating a healthy, balanced, appropriate diet, it could actually make the blood pressure worse.

At any rate, you brought up some very interesting issues, and made some good points.

Thanks for your input!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-10-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
The heart tests, once or twice a year. My most recent test-an echocardiogram- was a month ago.
Were the measurements of the Atrium, Ventricle and Septum all within "normal" range? Were any of the measurements close to high normal?

Quote:
I had a stress test several months before that. I wonder if anyone will mention the results. I don't think so.
The medical records belong to you. Even if the results are normal, you might consider getting a copy. I have been amazed at what various doctors haven't told me regarding the results.

I've got copies of almost all of my medical records, dating back 20+ years. I put the important numbers into a spreadsheet, such as Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Blood Sugar, PT, INR, etc., where I can track the improvements over the years.

Quote:
My EF was measured as 70 a couple of years ago. I don't know what it is now.
Your echocardiogram results should have that info. You might consider getting a copy. In my case, they send me ALL of my results without me having to ask, because they know that I want them all the time.

Quote:
Diastolic dysfunction was mentioned but never discussed in detail.
Diastolic Dysfunction should have shown up during the echocardiogram, and should be reflected in the Atrium measurements.

Quote:
My blood and lipids get tested often, at least every three months, but usually more often than that.
What were your latest results?

Quote:
Surprisingly, there is no swelling at the moment. Even my legs are fine. I can't explain it.
That is great! I worry about you. I'm happy to see that there has been some improvement!

Quote:
I read that one can get abdominal distention, along with peripheral edema, from large protein (albumin) losses, which decrease serum albumin levels overtime. So, there are several good possibilities.
Does this mean that your kidneys are doing OK?

Quote:
My biggest complaint, besides the swelling, is the shortness of breath. I will never get used to it. I can live happily with the rest of my symptoms.
Same here. I hate it when I am having breathing problems, especially when it continues all day long. I have Heart Failure, Immune System Dysfunction, Insulin Resistance/Pre-Diabetes and Asthma, so, at times, it has been difficult guessing which one(s) of my ailments was causing the breathing difficulties, or labored breathing.

As a result of my very healthy diet, my breathing difficulties have gotten much less frequent. Just recently, I experienced breathing problems during my sudden withdrawal from my Ace Inhibitor, triggered while doing my push-ups. I had to take a nitro, before doing push-ups, in order to avoid the breathing problems. That is no longer an issue.

Quote:
Seeing the huge difference a diet has had on your blood pressure control, I wonder if my blood pressure will be affected by my new dietary restrictions. I am very confused - completely lost is more like it. Maybe a dietitian will be able to sort it out.

flowergirl
What types of dietary restrictions? What are you supposed to do?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Machaon,

thank you for listing your stats for 2008. I know that typing the post was a lot of work - it is much appreciated! I'll re-read your post when I am not tired. I've been researching the (potential) role of ACE inhibitors in reducing inflammation. It's been quite frustrating as the evidence is scarce and I don't like reading about studies that do not involve people. More studies (on humans) are needed. As you can imagine, I get easily sidetracked and lose focus. However, the evidence is there, though indirect and not very recent. Very interesting though.

flowergirl

Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Were the measurements of the Atrium, Ventricle and Septum all within "normal" range? Were any of the measurements close to high normal?
The most "recent" echo results I have are from over two years ago. Most of the things tested were OK then; a couple were borderline, with LV mass index 87Gm/m2 and some LV concentric remodeling. Several different things, including an AV block, have been mentioned in correspondence but never discussed. My ECGs are abnormal and can send people into a panic. Thanks to my kidney disease and its effect on the heart, the risk of CV events is now greater than ever. A good reason to keep the blood pressure well controlled.

Quote:
The medical records belong to you. Even if the results are normal, you might consider getting a copy. I have been amazed at what various doctors haven't told me regarding the results.
I agree - the doctors don't tell us anything they figure we do not need to know. That has been my experience. Some things come to light only by chance. I usually get copies of all the labwork but not the tests, which are done at different hospitals. I will try to obtain a copy of the echo results. I don't quite know how to go about it-it gets a little complicated when more doctors are involved.

Quote:
at times, it has been difficult guessing which one(s) of my ailments was causing the breathing difficulties, or labored breathing.
Same here! I don't think anyone knows for sure, either. I know that the medication is not responsible. There was a time I thought that my blood pressure medication, Labetalol, was to blame - but I discontinued it and nothing happened. I still couldn't breathe.

Quote:
What types of dietary restrictions? What are you supposed to do?
The uncontrolled high blood pressure has done quite a bit of damage to the tissues and blood vessels, including those in the kidneys. These altered vessels have lead to further, ongoing damage to the kidneys. Damaged kidneys don't filter as they should. Renal diet reduces the kidney's workload and helps keep the serum potassium level from getting too high.
It consists of limiting one's protein and potassium intake. I'll have to find a way to work it into my existing low salt, fat and cholesterol diet. I will be needing some help with it but should lose some weight as a result. I hope my blood pressure remains unaffected.

flowergirl

Closed Thread