It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Stimulants and hypertension

I meant stimulants

I posted this in the past, but not many replies.

My neuro wants to put me on Adderall or Ritalin. I find this odd since they wouldnt give me Phentermine because of my hypertension, then they turned around and prescribed Provigil. Which also is bad for hypertension. Now this week they want to switch the Provigil to adderall or ritialn.

I am a little nervous because I looked up both meds and I believe this to be danergous with hypertension, much more so that the other 2 drugs.

I do not have ADD, I have MS and these meds are given to help fatigue and and concentration. I don't have any disability from my illness just the severe fatigue. Blood pressure meds are not helping the fatigue.

Anyone else taking any of these meds with their hypertension?

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 03-06-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Stimulants and hypertension

Flutter,

I found myself in a similar situation on two occassions. My doctor wanted to start me on a very expensive drug. Researching the new drug, as I always do, really scared me. I matched about five contraindications, including #1 - high blood pressure. The pharmacist was pretty shocked to see this prescription and strongly advised against taking the drug. This did not stop my doctor from trying again with another script not long after. At the pharmacy, another pharmacist informed me that this drug would make me very sick. Go figure.

Everyone should research the drugs they are prescribed. It is necessary. I am glad you've done your homework!!! You should know exactly what you're putting into your body and what it's going to do to you. I think many people take drugs they don't really need. You can always say NO. Get another opinion. Talk to your pharmacist, if in doubt.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

We tried all alternative options and none worked. this is whats left for me to try, which is what most of us end up taking if provigil doesn't work. I really have having hypertension, it complicates so much

Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Yes, hypertension complicates things a lot. It causes undetectable, often unreversible changes in our bodies overtime and is a huge risk factor for many serious diseases. That is why we must keep our blood pressure within an acceptable range. According to a recent article I read, there is no such thing as an ideal blood pressure. Some people think that 120/80 is ideal. There is no "ideal" single measurement that applies to everyone. Rather, ideal blood pressure is a range of blood pressure that is considered healthy.

If your doctor feels strongly that you need this medication, perhaps you should give it a try, after checking with your pharmacist. At the very least, even if the drug is contraindicated, you'll know what signs of an adverse reaction to watch for. I hope you'll get your medical issues sorted out & looked after. I am sorry you've been through so much. Things will work out. Best of luck!

flowergirl

Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Have you approached the problem from the angle of fatigue & how to deal with the basics of fatigue before taking meds?

I've had a huge problem with fatigue because I have to be on a high dose of Labetalol which is a alpha/beta blocker. Research fatigue & go from there. Start with sleep: the amount, quality & maybe have a sleep study done. Eat smaller meals as large ones cause fatigue. I get exhausted in hot weather so I keep my house very cool. And on and on. I just went through my whole lifestyle & designed a new one that can accomodate the side effects of the meds. It is annoying but it is worth it to feel I have some periods of my day that feel half way normal. It is big adjustment but it is better than taking more meds. Also, I find eating more than two servings of bread or 1 oz of spagetti makes me so tired. There are so many little things that are probably making you more tired than you have to be with MS. Fam

Closed Thread