It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Question High BP lower after surgery

I've been on BP meds, Norvasc and Dyazide, for about 5 years. Even on the meds, I've averaged 140 something/ 90 something. My docs seemed pretty pleased with that even though it was still kind of high.

Last October, I had stomach surgery for chronic reflux. Since then, my BP has been averaging 110-120/ 62-72. The lower numbers have been consistent now for about 5 months.

I haven't figured it out. Why would I have such a drop after 5 years with no real change? Not that I'm complaining, but this doesn't seem typical. I'd love to figure out what it is so that I can try to keep the numbers down.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: High BP lower after surgery

was the surgery successful?
Wonder if getting your body back to a more peaceful state took some stress off your heart/mind which affected your BP in a positive way?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

We have to figure this out!!! Wonder if you are sleeping better now without the reflux. Were you on reflux meds? Anything in your life that has changed? Maybe we can learn something from your experience.

My Dr. told me about a patient who got a new job & his b/p went back to normal after having severe HBP for about 6 months.

Fam

Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

How has your dietary intake of carbs, fats, potassium etc. been affected? Are there strict dietary restrictions? Your diet would be the first place I'd look. In addition to the dietary changes, possible alterations to the digestive, endocrine and metabolic functions would also be worth investigating.

P.S. I hope your surgery has helped with your GERD issues, Mountain. The reduction in your blood pressure is a nice bonus!

FG

Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi all. Thanks for your responses.

The Nissen Fundoplication surgery was very successful in terms of my reflux. I had some major breathing problems because of the reflux over the last year. They were pretty much gone when I woke from the surgery. Being able to breathe well is certainly less stressful.

I considered that maybe my body was under less stress now from the reflux. I'm still dealing with some IBS issues though. I was on Nexium for a month last summer and it messed up my gut pretty bad. I'm still trying to get my digestive system back in order.

I had been following an "acid reflux" diet for the last couple years. This included avoiding fatty, greasy or fried foods, spicy foods, tomato products, all caffeine drinks, citrus food and drinks, chocolate and alcohol. I've also pretty much avoided dairy for about 5 years.

I avoided all meat and bread for a couple months after surgery, but I added them back towards the end of December. I think the biggest dietary change I've had is is a result ot the IBS. I've had to avoid all raw fruits and vegetables and all dairy (the last wasn't much of a change for me though). My GI doc still has me following the anti-reflux diet and taking double dose PPI's though. He thinks my IBS will get worse if I allow the extra acid into my digestive system. I also still sleep on an incline at night.

I'm down about 18 lbs since the surgery. I don't think that would be a sole cause of my BP decreasing though. I did the Weight Watchers thing a couple years ago and was down about 30 lbs for well over a year. My BP didn't lower then. I gained all but 5 lbs back last year because I was frequently on steroids for the acid related breathing problems. My BP was about the same even when I gained the weight back.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

If you are breathing better, you should be taking in more oxygen which would be a factor in lowering your b/p. Have you had a oxygen satuation level done? It would be interesting to see what it was before the surgery & now. I have to stay on the acid reflux diet too. After a while, one gets used to it. It's a plus as I'm not tempted to eat fast food because I don't want the sleepless nights & stomach pain. Everything has a silver lining!!! Fam

Closed Thread