It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

bukky2000 HB User
why is labetalol increasing my blood pressure?

why is labetalol increasing my blood pressure?my doctor changed me from adalat retard 20 mg daily to labetalol 100mg two times and increased it to 200mg 3 times but my BP has been incredibly high it shot up from 140/80 to 160/170/100. please help me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: why is labetalol increasing my blood pressure?

I take 900mg twice a day of labetalol. It needs to be taken with food. The amount of food needs to be relatively consistent. This is because food increases the bioavailibility of Labetalol. This means the without food less labetalol will be absorbed into the blood.

I always have at least 5gm (tsp) of some kind of fat with a meal
so that stomach emptying will be delayed somewhat & more labetalol will be absorbed.

Reasons for increased b/p:

1. Stress until proved otherwise- dropping one med & starting another is always stressful especially when one's b/p is high.

2. rebound hypertension from stopping the old drug

3. drug interactions

4. side effect from the new drug-yes some b/p drugs can cause one's b/p to increase in some people instead of decrease.

You need to get the package insert (info sheet) on the new drug, the old drug, & any other drugs you are taking. Read them to determine the cause of your increased HBP. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Same thing happened to me, few days after stopping metoprolol and starting labetalolol my BP increased. I too thought it was stress of thinking " this BP med probably wont work" But then again first time i took my Propranolol my BP shot down to around 96/56. So who knows. I was taking 100mg of labetalolol also.

Last edited by Lourage; 03-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

give it some time before it can reach its full potential

Closed Thread