It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

PRIDSC HB User
best time to take blood pressure medicine

I would like to try and get a consensus opinion from board participants on what is the best time of day to take blood pressure medicine. I take 5mg of ramipril usually some time after dinner but no more specific than that. Would appreciate some thoughts, please.

The Following User Says Thank You to PRIDSC For This Useful Post:
neleen521 (08-28-2011)
Old 03-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: best time to take blood pressure medicine

Well i take mine twice a day, morning and night, But you would think maybe at night if you only take it once a day, since BP is usually higher towards night time? well it is for me anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

When I was on medication, I was told to take it first thing in the morning.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

different meds = different times

Usually at night

Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

All of the previous replies are correct. The frequency and timing of dosing depends mostly on the type of the drug, how it affects the body and how the body affects the drug. Some drugs have relatively short plasma half-lives of only a few hours. That means that their plasma concentration is cut in a half and, in most cases, same amount-one half-is eliminated from the body within that time frame. Such drugs have to be taken several times a day to ensure an even coverage.

Ramipril is taken once daily. The antihypertensive effect may diminish toward the end of the dosing interval. An easy way to check if 24 hour blood pressure control is being maintained is by taking a blood pressure measurement just before taking the drug.

I've had to experiment with dosing times. I tried a morning dosing of 20mg ramipril; a split dose of 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night, and 20 mg at night, all in combination with other antihypertensive drugs. I get the best results with morning dosing of ramipril and my other meds, and take a CCB at night. Everyone is different -you might get a good round-the-clock coverage no matter when you take it.

If you find the drug isn't effective throughout a 24 hour period, you can:

-split your dose in 1/2 and try taking the drug twice daily -same total daily dose

-consider increasing your dose (your doctor will adjust dosage to your blood pressure response)

-consider adding a diuretic

-try another antihypertensive drug

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-14-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
(male)

PRIDSC HB User

thanks very much. Wondering what CCB is?

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-15-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

You are welcome. CCB stands for a calcium channel blocker. It is a cardiovascular drug.

I've been reading about ACE inhibitors and their role in inflammation and turned up some interesting facts, enough for a new thread. (just kidding! ) I'll quickly mention the following, because it relates to what's already been discussed in this thread.

ACE inhibitor blood levels decrease significantly toward the end of the dosing period. This can leave us, the patients, very vulnerable early in the morning when blood pressure tends to rise and the protection is needed the most.

Two factors are important for prolonging functional angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition -the inhibitor-binding affinity and tissue retention. Both influence the ACE inhibitor concentration in the tissue. ACE inhibitors are rated according to their potency, tissue affinity, and how well they dissolve in lipids (fat). It is these properties that determine the antiatherosclerotic effects of different ACE inhibitors and how well they penetrate the atherosclerotic plaque. In clinical trials, high tissue affinity ACE inhibitors -perindopril, quinapril and ramipril- were used.

Increasing the ACE inhibitor dose extends duration of response without altering the peak effect. Many individuals benefit from taking two daily doses of this drug. Interestingly, ACE inhibitors reduce Angiotensin II levels only in the short term. With chronic use of this drug, Angiotensin II levels return to normal. This means that, besides the angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition, OTHER mechanisms of blood pressure lowering are also in place.

How are you doing? Is the ACE inhibitor keeping your blood pressure controlled? When do you take it?

flowergirl

Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
(male)

pete01 HB User

Here is my answer for the blood pressure drugs I am familiar with:

Amlodipine - doesn't matter when you take it because it has a 30 hour half-life.

Benicar - doesn't matter when you take it.

Lisinopril - best taken at night because it takes 6 or 7 hours for the full affect. It is more important to have low blood pressure in the morning than at night because that is when more heart attacks occur.

Hydrochlorothiazide - best taken in the morning. This is a diuretic and will make you urinate more frequently for several hours after you take it.

Last edited by pete01; 03-25-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Closed Thread