It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

Aletam HB User
high blood pressure?

hello i am 19 well i will be 20 in a couple weeks but i just went to the doctor today because i was having some anxiety issues but while i was there and they checked my blood pressure it came back that it was 138/72 i was not too concerned because it had been this way the time before and the doctor said it was just fine. then he came in to day and made me feel like it was horrible because my blood pressure has been like this for 2 years now. i am kind of upset because this is the first time anyone has said anything to me about my blood pressure and it has been this way for two years? anyways i am starting on a dieretic tomorrow in hopes that it will work. i formed high blood pressure when i was pregnant and it never totally went down.....the doctor has taken blood tests since my blood pressure was this way and said there was no reason to believe that it was due to kidney problems. my grandmother has been on blood pressure medicine since her 20's and my father has congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. so my question is is it normal for someone of my age to have this blood pressure? is it just precautionary that my doctor would be putting me on the medicine? should i be worried?
p.s. i am also overweight but he said nothing to me about losing weight andexercising although i plan to but i find it weird he just perscribed medicine "due to new regulations" in his words...pretty much 5 years ago i would have been considered fine he said

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: high blood pressure?

LOL@ 138/72 being considered HIGH, slighly high systolic, but by what, 15 points? big deal. My BP at the docs is like 145/95. Some doctors really need to go to a blood pressure school or something. Do you have a monitor to take it at home? maybe it's that high cause you are anxious at the doc. Glad the doc brought that up with you first before putting you on a medication.. oh wait

Last edited by Lourage; 03-16-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Given those numbers I'd wager it's anxiety that's making your BP high. The bottom number is spot-on, so at least your heart is resting normally.

Work on the anxiety and invest in a clinically validated blood pressure monitor.

Best of luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
(female)

Aletam HB User

yea i am going to try to get some weight off and get more active....i think that makes me the most mad is that it has been the same for 2 years and nothing was said until now...its like if it was something i really needed to work at why didnt anybodu tell me before now? i had very high blood pressure when i was pregnant 180/100 or around that so when i think high thats what i think lol....i dont know it just really bothers me....i just started treatments for anxiety and my boyfriend is kind of like well he knows how you get and now hes saying this that doesnt even sound like something to freak over yet just keep an eye out.......it kind of makes me feel like he is just trying to keep me coming in....i mean im sure there is something there to worry about but so much like this? oyea and my grandma has been on blood pressure medicine since her 20's and my dad has congestive heart failure....so i do know i need to work on it before it gets time to worry about it but i dont know about medicine just yet........

Closed Thread