It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Sleeping pills and Propranolol

So i didn't go to the doctor today, she was overbooked so i asked the nurse to ask the doc if i can take something to sleep while on my medications, or if she wanted to prescribe me something.

Got back on the phone and said that the anxiety medicine isn't probably causing the insomnia, it's most likely the propranolol ( oh well, i'm not changing beta blockers again, i love this stuff) So i asked it Tylenolol PM a few nights would be ok. She said yes and try it tonight and if nothing call back Thursday.

Ok, but i'm reading tylenolol PM is mostly for people with pain and have trouble sleeping, i have no pain. So i thought maybe benadryl, i remember zekat bringing it up, and it's pretty much Tylenol Pm without the pain reliever.

But then i looked up the warning for benadryl and saw you shouldn't take it with hypertension

So i don't know what the heck to do again. Even though the doctor said i would be fine, i'm worried about taking this along with my meds. I never taken a sleeping pill before, like My BP will dip too low or too high.

Have any of you taken beta-blockers/ anxiety meds and a sleeping aid like Tylenol PM?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Sleeping pills and Propranolol

Take it! Your doctor said to take it. Just trust her.

Tylenol PM IS Benadryl - just packaged differently and mixed w/ acetomeniphen. Benadryl is given to people who have allergic reactions, so it rarely should cause a side-effect. In fact, some people take Benadryl to help with their anxiety because of the drowsy effect it has. Also, it's an anti-histamine, and there is something about having high levels of histamine that can make people a bit anxious, I think. I used to take a different anti-histamine called hydroxizine that my doctor gave me after my son was born. She gave it to me because it was safe to take while breastfeeding and would help my anxiety and help me sleep.

I would 100% not worry a BIT about taking benadryl with your other meds, and I'm a worry wort about mixing meds (ask my mom! She's had to "force" me a time to two to take some. That's how I know all this junk on different meds).

And, for what it's worth, the insomnia is exactly why I had a hard time with propranalol. My doc gave it to me to help me w/ my anxiety & BP spikes, but I'd end up taking it for a spike and then stay up ALL NIGHT LONG freaked out about it. It was awful for me

Hopefully someone else will post and encourage you to take it to help you get the sleep you need. However, knowing you, it might backfire the first night and you'll stay up looking for side effects. But, after you make it through the first night with no ill effects, I bet you it will help a lot the second night

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

hey zek! This may sound stupid but i was thinking of trying it a few hours before sleep to see how i react, cause can't really tell while i'm sleeping lol. I mean yea, i want to sleep but not for eternity ( if there is any reaction)

should i take it though or go get one without pain reliever crap in it. I got the packets and didn't waste money on the full bottle in case it don't work. BUT it was only after coming home i checked the tylenol website and saw something called simply sleep! it's like tylenol PM without the pain reliever, and as you know i have no pain and only insomnia. Should i go get that instead , or just take the two Tylenol Pm for tonight and see what happens?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Also yea i was reading about how it actually helps some people with anxiety, OH MAN that would be great! I should try it a few hours before so i can see. I'm worried though when to take it, a few hours after taking my propranolol and buspar, or take it with them? I'm just worried what effect it's going to have on those dizzy spells i been having.

Closed Thread