It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Will 60 mins of Cardio daily & low sodium diet get me off of meds?

We will find out soon enough

Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Will 60 mins of Cardio daily & low sodium diet get me off of meds?

I just upped my cardio too since summer is fast approaching! I do tabata sessions of kettlebell swings, Burpess, front squats 3 times a week now after my weight lifting. It's taxing, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, it only lasts 4 minutes though then you are done. I hate cardio but anyone can do 4 minutes. it's the best fat burning cardio you can do too, you should look it up.

Then i remember i'm on a beta- blocker thats probably making it 20 times harder for me to lose weight and i cry

Last edited by Lourage; 03-17-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
(male)

GeorgiaBoy61 HB User

Hello:

Exercise and follow a sodium-restricted diet may work, and will probably benefit you either way. However, ask your physician or PCP about the specific nature of your HTN. Idiopathic (essential) hypertension is of unknown etiology, and may not repsond to the measures you are taking. Some people are salt-sensitive, and prone to retain sodium (and thus fluid), while others are not. In some individuals, exercise does not produce lower BP; medications are required.

You don't mention if you are over-weight and/or suffer from metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes. Both are predictators of HTN. If you fall into this category, you may wish to consider following a very "clean" diet similar to that recommended by Mark Hyman, MD, or similar. It is especially important to cut out sugars, refined carbohydrates, and anything else that causes spiking of your insulin secretion. Human beings did not evolve to eat refined sugars in anything approaching the amounts we do nowadays. You can get your primarycare provider to test you for glucose-tolerance, glycosylated hemoglobin and other markers of diabetes or metabolic syndrome.

Exercise is a big ket to controlling your HTN, even if it does not result in lowering it, it may prevent it getting worse.

I'd try diet, though; trainers and elite athletes have a saying which is absolutely correct, "You can't out-train a poor diet." Losing weight and getting a maximally-fit and healthy physique used to be thought to be "80% exercise, 20% diet" but it is in reality the other way around. About the only exception is someone who exercises literally all day long, in a very physical occupation. Even then, still have to watch what you eat.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Personally, cardio has made a HUGE improvement in my BP numbers. It is interesting because I can see my numbers start to creep into the pre-hypertensive range when I go a while without exercising. I've come to think of cardio as my BP med. I've never noticed a difference in my BP numbers with salt, though. I started cardio about 15 months ago and have sort of become an addict. I love a good workout and start feeling just bad if I don't go. Keep it up - even if it sucks, I promise you will learn to love it!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

You might get burned out though and fast doing 60 minutes of cardio and stop doing it, depending on if you have done it before and in the past. Look up that tabata stuff i posted about if you want to keep it short and to the point. You can do it with push ups, don't need weight.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
(male)

abergeron HB User

Another vote here for the cardio. I'm beginning to discover, like zekat mentioned, a direct correlation between routine cardio workouts and BP readings. Especially in the several hours after a workout. There's something about getting my heartrate up nice and high for a period of time, that gives me a nice sense of calm thereafter. Wish it would last longer, though!

Also, I like to do 60 minutes, but even 30-40 will make a difference. Personally, I need to keep my heartrate up for at least that long to get the benefits.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Hey abergeron, that's what we call a "runner's high"

something about ur body producing lots of serotin or was it estrogen?? the good feeling hormones, right after running

Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

It's the body releasing endorphins that gives that natural high. .LOL thank god not estrogen, we'd turn into women.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

ahha oops got mixed up

Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

This may come as a surprise, but males have estrogen too. It is a by-product of testosterone and, when in balance, essential to good health.
Testosterone levels decline as a result of aging and certain (unhealthy) lifestyle choices. With decreasing levels of testosterone, many guys experience increases in their estrogen levels. This results in a testosterone-estrogen imbalance, which is associated with contributing to or creating certain health problems.

I was very surprised to learn that males also have estrogen hormone. I thought this hormone was exclusively female. I had to look into some hormonal imbalance issues - that's how I know. Interesting, isn't it?

FG

Closed Thread