It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
(male)

abergeron HB User
Doctor said: "stop taking BP at home!"

Had a regular check up today and Doc told me that I'm probably doing more harm than good by checking BP regularly at home. He told me to come back in a few months and get a reading, and didn't even really wanting me to check it at home in between. I was 130/80 at his office when I first got there, but it went much higher when he checked later in the exam--he wouldn't even tell me what it was up to. That was after talking about BP stuff for 15 minutes, and just talking about it gets my anxiety cranking up and I knew without a doubt that my BP was soaring. Anyway, I think I will follow his advice, and also stop surfing about BP stuff all the time. I think it's better to focus on a healthy diet, exercise, sleep, and an overall healthy/happy lifestyle.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Re: Doctor said: "stop taking BP at home!"

I agree...that is exactly what I have been doing, obsessing. Sounds like you have a good doctor that gets anxiety over blood pressure. I am going to try to follow is advice as well.
kivyt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
(male)

abergeron HB User

I think obsessing about it is almost like an addiction. (See, I'm already back here checking in on the HBP board!) Like any addiction, it can take over your life. I'm very happy with my doctor's instructions and I will put away the BP monitor when I get home.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I was told the same thing, it lasted for about a week. I should just throw away my monitor but then i worry about my BP being up and missing if it's high then stroking out. it's become OCD with me. I think about my BP constantly, especially when i'm working out lifting soemthing heavy and seeing how red in the face i get thinking " vessels are going to burst any minute now. Then i get that warm feeling of adrenaline and stress.

Plus the only time i get a real reading is at home, doctors office it's always jacked up due to white coat.

Last edited by Lourage; 03-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Plus i think people like us need to regulary check our BP to make sure our meds are still working and that our BP hasn't gotten any higher. But yea their is a difference between regulary checking and checking like 10 times a day.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Whether one decides to track their blood pressure more often, especially at home, depends upon one's health and one's need to know. After all, how does one deal with a problem, if one doesn't know the extent of the problem?

I've taken my blood pressure almost 27,000 times since 1998, or an average of about 7 times per day. I sit down, take three large slow breaths, and then take it only ONCE.

I have learned a lot about my blood pressure and have successfully reduced it from an average of 152/97 in 1998, based on 1,106 blood pressure readings to 122/72 for 2008, based on 2,543 blood pressure readings.

I've been battling life-threatening, debilitating diseases for over 20 years, and that is why I've gone to such extremes in monitoring my blood pressure. Plus...... as my blood pressure averages improved slowly, year over year, so did my health. The healthier I got, the more incentive I had to monitor my blood pressure, and continue to find ways to reduce it to even healthier levels.

Whereas before, I could barely get out of bed, I am now able to do up to 200 push-ups per day, an hour power walk per day, 250 weight lifts per day, and 400 steps per day . When my blood pressure was higher and my health was much worse, the slightest physical effort would cause chest pain, breathing problems, fatigue, heart rhythm dysfunction, over-sweating, etc.

Anyway........ here I am, ten years later, and because of my close tracking, I've been able to greatly improve my health and my blood pressure and my pre-diabetes, and my palpitations and significantly reduce my health care costs. I've saved a lot of money by closely tracking my blood pressure, which has resulted in having to take fewer medications, having fewer doctor appointments and having fewer expensive medical tests.

Despite having Heart Failure, Chronic High Blood Pressure, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Tachycardia and Immune System Dysfunction, my health has gotten progressively better, rather than progressively worse, and I spend very little on health care, mostly because of what I have learned by closely monitoring my blood pressure.

Taking my blood pressure frequently, during the day, at home, has not only saved my life but has given me a surprisingly good quality of life. Like the old say: The proof is in the pudding!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-19-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

your doctor is correct. My cardio said once in the morning and once before bed if I HAD to. lol But now I also take Adderall xr which is an amphtamine so I have to watch mine more than the average person.

Taking it all the time during the day doesnt do you a bit of good.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

So true, people obsess over thier #s a lot!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I think the only way i would be able to stop obsessing is to wear one of those monitors that tracks it throughout the day, so i know what highs and lows it hits without thinking too much about it.

I'm at the point now where even soemthing like 135/75 freaks me out. Where a s afew months ago anything over 80 would flip me out and high 70's dystolic was a relief. Now i only feel ok if it's like 110/65, thats how crazy i've become with taking measurements.

I definitely know that mine is caused by anxiety, but while my doc seems to have no problems pushing the BP meds, anxiety meds are a different story.

Last edited by Lourage; 03-20-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I was motivated to closely monitor my blood pressure because of an increase in my symptoms. My health was getting worse and it was badly effecting my quality of life. My heart would race, either strongly or weakly, along with chest pains, difficulty breathing, disorientation, worsening fatigue...... I was just feeling very poorly. I started monitoring my blood pressure at home, and was getting readings like 193/126. I had NO IDEA that my blood pressure was getting that high, especially at night.

It's now over 10 years later, and about 27,000 bp readings, and...... As a result of closely monitoring my blood pressure, and making changes based on what I learned about my blood pressure, I am now feeling and doing much better near age 70, than I was at age 50 , even considering that I have had Heart Failure for over 20 years!

Those who are asymptomatic (without symptoms of disease), have less need to track their blood pressure as closely as I did. Those who are getting symptoms of thyroid failure, or Diabetes, or increased heart rhythm dysfunction, or increased breathing problems, or increased nerve pain, might want to check their blood pressure more often than just once in a while at the doctor.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

See thats the difference with me though Machaon. All my tests were fine, told to stop worrying, feel fine, no damage to any organs, NOTHING.... but i just can't get that through my head! To just not worry about it. Cause when i do check my BP, and i'm spiked up, be it before going out with friends, or even when it's high at the doctors, i get this thought that makes me thing" damn, if it's that high right now it's already doing the damage, so it's too late and it's just making my vessels weaker and weaker everything it gets that high" So then i feel like crap the next few days, even when it goes back down, cause i just think the damage is already done.

Last edited by Lourage; 03-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
... So then i feel like crap the next few days, even when it goes back down, cause i just think the damage is already done.
The production of, or the over-production of NeuroHormonal System, and Immune System chemicals (hormones,cytokines,etc.) not only cause higher blood pressure and heart rhythm problems, these chemicals, especially the longer-lasting hormones, can make the patient sick as a dog for several days. After these chemicals are absorbed by the body, or released from the body, the patient feels better for a while, until the next time.

So...... you might feel like crap the next few days, not because of damage done, but because of the effects of the hormones and immune system chemicals.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I should have been more specific mach, but i meant i feel like crap in my mind. Like it makes me worry about my BP that much more those next few days and i can't just relax without thinking about it like 100 times a day. I don't feel sick, physically, it's more of a mental thing.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
(male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
Like it makes me worry about my BP that much more those next few days and i can't just relax without thinking about it like 100 times a day.
As I said when I started this thread, I packed up the BP machine at the doctor's advice (what was that--last Thursday, I think?). I have felt a lot better since doing so.

If I think about it, had I taken BP every day in the past week, and gotten a high result, how would that change anything today? The only change would have been, I would have had a bunch of anxiety and crappy feelings over that high reading, which probably would have led to more high BP readings. I was the same way, where an unexplained high reading could lead to several days of anxiety and constant worrying, without being able to go 30 minutes without thinking about it. Not a great way to live!

I know that routine monitoring is an essential part of some people's health plan, but for others I would tell you that I've been feeling a whole lot better without monitoring and I feel very confident that my BP has been just fine without having to run and check it.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

But what if it's high one day and we have no way of knowing and we have a stroke? If we checked and noticed it rising we would then be able to go to the ER and get treatment. Your doctor probably told you that so you would go see him more often to get your BP checked at his office

I know what you mean though. But then i would flip out if i got rid of it and had no way of checking and that would cause me more stress. maybe once i get back on an anti-anxiety med i can stop worrying That or maybe i should just give it to a friend/relative to hold onto, that would probably be a better idea then just throwing it away.

Last edited by Lourage; 03-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Closed Thread