It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
numbers and stress/anxiety

So is diastolic more about stress then? like actual stress, and not physical ( exercise) I don't understand why that goes up for me during anxiety/stress and not my systolic as much. People with white coat usually say that their systolic rises, but diastolic stays the same, yet it's almost the opposite for me, or they both rise.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-22-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
(female)

Aletam HB User
Re: numbers and stress/anxiety

the same thing happens for me but yet my doctor SWEARS that anxiety will not reaise my blood pressure....although i know differently....i know whenever i pass by somewhere that has a blood pressure machine i get anxious about going in and checking it....i just cannot check it....the last time i was so nervous my hear was pounding and i was getting sweaty, having a panic attack and i checked it my blood pressure was 144/85 and before it was 138/75 and my pulse rate was like 140 then i calmed myself down and it went down a bit but i just cannot even go to ceck my own blood pressure and know if it is an accurate reading or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

My experience is like this:

In a "moment" spike, my systolic will spike. Like, I'll run up the stairs and take my BP, and it will be 135/82 or something. In fact, I had a nice little spike the other day of 150/81. I thought I was having an allergic reaction and I was quite frightened.

At times in my life when I'm in a constant state of anxiety, I find I have issues with my diastolic though, and will often get numbers like 125/90, or higher. My diastolic seems to get higher than my systolic at those times. Like I've reached 140/100 often when I'm having constant anxiety issues.

Also, drinking causes my diastolic to creep up.

I think doctors talk in terms of "generally", but we are unique individuals. We know how we work. I wouldn't doubt that constant anxiety causes your diastolic to stay at a raised rate.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I am a lot like you and my diastolic likes to stay high. it bothers me and my cardio and PCP both act like it's nothing to worry about but yet I read and it says it's something to be very aware of and monitor more so than the systolic.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

IMO and what I've in my self and others....

High diastolic BP, generally means you aren't working out, or you have a medical condition (kidney, heart, etc issues), or had a very bad diet for a long time.

I think Stress/Anxiety/Caffine-Stimulants are what causes short time high Sytolisc BP

Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Well i been exercising for over 15 years now, seen a cardio, nephrologist, had ekg's done, echos, , sonograms, you name it. Everything came out fine. Cardiologist said i'm going to live a long life with the heart i have. I eat a clean diet and only have a cheat meal once a week. Like i said the onyl time my BP rises is when i'm anxious or after drinking. Which i thought was a normal thing to happen?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
(male)

abergeron HB User

My diastolic remains pretty solid at around 77-83. My systolic is subject to much more fluctuation, though. It's averaging at around 130 on my home monitor, but it can range from 115 to 150.

Generally, when I take it after a cardio workout, after cooling down (maybe 30 minutes later), I get a reading in the 117/78 range. That's also when I feel great--nice and relaxed, pumped full of those good-feeling exercise endorphins and not a care in the world.

If I take a reading right when I get home from work, after fighting traffic to get home and stressed/anxious from my work day, it'll often be in the 140s/80.

In my case, my fluctuating systolic seems directly linked to my mood. I am, however, taking my doctor's advice and packing up the BP monitor. He thinks I'm doing more harm than good by obsessively monitoring. I tend to agree with that in my situation. Some others here have some truly inspring stories of how close monitoring of BP and major lifestyle changes led to incredible results.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

You should do some trial and errors to determine what spikes your high blood pressure, like I am : )

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletam View Post
the same thing happens for me but yet my doctor SWEARS that anxiety will not reaise my blood pressure....although i know differently....i know whenever i pass by somewhere that has a blood pressure machine i get anxious about going in and checking it....i just cannot check it....the last time i was so nervous my hear was pounding and i was getting sweaty, having a panic attack and i checked it my blood pressure was 144/85 and before it was 138/75 and my pulse rate was like 140 then i calmed myself down and it went down a bit but i just cannot even go to ceck my own blood pressure and know if it is an accurate reading or not.

Your doctor is simply wrong, period. I have watched anxiety raise my BP by over 40 points in a matter of minutes. Anxiety driven BP is real. Its a FACT. Any doctor who denies that should be sent back to medical school.

tamuprof45

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

This is an interesting thread, and I can relate. I have watched my systolic swing wildly with my anxiety where my diastolic remained comfortably below 80. It is clear to me there are some people who simply have this anxiety driven BP no matter how well we take care of ourselves (and I'm definitely one of those).

I am erring on the side of believing that enough spikes over enough time can do damage, but it seems to me the solution is treating the anxiety rather then medicating the BP, since one may assume the BP is normal or below normal during non-anxiety periods, and this further assume BP meds will mess that up somehow.

All those cliches about learning to relax, avoiding stress, dealing with anger-management issues, etc. appear to be very very real and pertinent for those of us who suffer from this!

tamuprof45

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
(male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
I am erring on the side of believing that enough spikes over enough time can do damage
Don't forget, though, that our bodies are designed to have BP spikes in response to stresses. It's the "fight or flight" instinct. As I understand, the BP will spike in response to a stressful situation, say, as an extreme example, a burglar breaking into your house at night (or, in caveman times, a saber-tooth tiger running you down). That BP spike allows you to respond physically in the most effective manner.

Now, of course it's not good to get BP spikes all the time (and at some point, a routine spike probably ceases to be a "spike" and is just simply high BP) but I think it is helpful to remember that a spike is a natural response of the body.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I just don't understand why then some of us during the same situaion would spike to say about 135/82, yet someone like me with anxiety issues will spike to like 145/99 in the same type of stress, fight or flight situation.

What meds would block that from happening? I still get high with my beta blockers if i'm stressed anxious enough. Would a benzo be the best thing ? or is there some type of anti-cortisol medication that just stops the effect alltogether without numbing you out?

is it just that? cause some of us just have more anxiety and our body doesn't deal with it as good as others? therefore they can keep calmer in those situations while the ones like me can't and our body can't deal with the stress?

In other words i would be eaten by a sabretooth tiger

Last edited by Lourage; 03-24-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Lourage, I don't think there are med's that will stop anxiety-induced blood pressure spikes. I think tamuprof hit it on the head (again) when he said "it seems to me the solution is treating the anxiety rather then medicating the BP".

Controlling my anxiety level is key to controlling my blood pressure. It's been a total pain in my butt, but ultimately I'm sort of thankful for having white coat. It's incited me to change how I live my life, and to treat my body and my mind better. Hopefully I will live much longer as an outcome.

Also, I think there are probably tons of "hyper-responders" - they just don't know it because they do not obsessively check their blood pressure

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Meds will help but there is a point where the flight or fight will kick in no matter. It's called survival. For example, I'm on 900mg of an alpha/beta blocker & yet my b/p flew up to 258/110 in October.

You have to keep experimenting with various techniques to keep the spikes at a minimum. Fam

Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

"anti-anxiety meds creates a zombie-state" & IMO if I can recall correctly, anti-anxiety meds aren't meant for a long term treatment unless there is some serious psychological problems.

Exercising helps a lot with anxiety. Even walking just 30 mins a day does wonders. I know everyone has been saying to excercise and such, but its so true and works too. Try it.

Learn different ways to combat the anxiety thats causing your BP to soar.

Closed Thread