It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
I'm starting to come to a terrible conclusion...

it hit me before while i was working out. I think it's pretty much impossible to lose weight while taking a beta blocker, is it true? don't get me wrong i'm not out of shape, chubby by any means, i'm 151 pounds at 5'5". I just have a bit of a gut covering my lower abs that i can't seem to get rid of ( from beers and stress probably) I upped my cardio to 3 times a week, have a good weight lifting split, but i'm still getting nowhere.

So please people who are on beta blockers just tell me it's all in my head and that you have all lost weight while taking them it just makes me think maybe our hearts shouldn't be turned down all the time. I mean i still hit around 115/120 with cardio, but i'm not sure if thats high enough for a fat burning zone. LOL yet i can reach like 129 easily if i'm anxious, make no sense i hit higher rates then , but not when i exercise.

what if i lower my food intake? is that pretty much the only way to lose some weight while taking a beta- blocker? I eat pretty clean and all but i eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism up, but thinking about it maybe thats not the best way for someone with high BP to be eating? I don't know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: I'm starting to come to a terrible conclusion...

I dont know for sure but I think I heard that beta blockers can put weight on. Maybe someone who is on them can chime in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Well i haven't put any weight on since i started taking them, i just haven't taken any off lol.

I still want to try a fast, i wonder what type of effect it would have on ones blood pressure? But then again it might be a bad idea, cause i have no energy to begin with after my morning pills, i could only imagine what i would feel like barely eating anything.

or maybe try something called the warriors diet, have you heard of it? You fast all day then eat whatever and how much you want for and thats it.

I need to do something to shock my body into losing weight.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
I think it's pretty much impossible to lose weight while taking a beta blocker, is it true?
I've been on the Beta Blocker Coreg for about a year (currently 25mg per day). I haven't either lost weight or gained weight during that time. Coreg has had absolutely no effect on my weight.

Quote:
i'm 151 pounds at 5'5".
I'm 130 pounds at 5'9".

Quote:
I eat pretty clean and all but i eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism up, but thinking about it maybe thats not the best way for someone with high BP to be eating? I don't know.
I eat seven meals per day or every two hours (sometimes 8 or 9 meals). My diet, at seven meals a day, is about 1,900 calories including fiber, and about 1,700 calories excluding fiber.

My average blood pressure for March, 2009 has been 127/74 based on 235 readings.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-23-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I don't think you are pushing yourself high enough into the cardio zone to really burn fat. I'm 32 and regularly work out with my heart rate right at 160. When I jog, it tends to stay *right there*. I can push it higher, and sometimes do. I used to worry a *lot* about my heartrate, but I've done it enough now that I don't think twice about it. It feels goooooooooood

Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Try taking the beta blocker after you work out.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I've thought about some other changes i need to make today. if you guys can't already tell, i tend to take things to extremes no matter what i do lol, it's the OCD in me. Well thinking about it now i have been working out way too long, they say you should get in an doubt of the gym in under an hour. My workouts were lasting over 2 hours, and thats not including cardio. The reason was i just kept adding exercise after exercise, and felt guilty to get rid of any. Well longer story shorter, that plus my bad anxiety, plus lack of sleep can't be having an overall good effect on my mind/body. Definitely has to be adding to my stress levels.

So today i reworked my whole routine, i'm only going to be doing compound exercises now and got rid of all the isolation ones, so that in turn should make my workouts a lot shorter and maybe just maybe it will help my sleep and stress/anxiety/ Blood pressure.

I know some of you might be thinking what this has to do with anything, but i definitely think they can all be connected.

I mean i was actually getting stressed and feeling stressed during my workouts! that should have told me something, too long and doing them on such little sleep.

will see what happens

Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I could try that stoph, but then it would mess up my whole medication doping schedule lol. I would probably have so much more energy though, but then at the same time i would be worried that my Bp will spike to high numbers while exercising without taking it. it's lose lose situation for me lol.

I try to take my meds ten hours apart. I bet since i take my second dose so close to bed thats whats making me not fall asleep. I should see about a one dose a day version of prorpanolol that i only take once in the morning.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

How much Propranolol are you taking? My beta blocker is Labetalol 100mg 2x a day (use to be 600mg 2x a day and gradually decreased). I take meds 2x a day (12 hours apart). And would go in the gym around ~1-2 hours before I have to take them. I lift weights for about 15 mins and maybe spend 30 mins - 60 mins+ on the treadmill jogging.

Come home and take my meds.

You should ask why your doctor put you on a beta blocker next time you see him instead of other drugs.

And When I took my meds before I went to the gym, I felt tired, weak, and I was going to pass out. And now I feel fine and normal with taking them after.

And LOL 2 hours of lifting? I read in article that anything over 45 mins when you start lifting is overtraining and you could hurt yourself badly bro.

And lifting weights helps with blood pressure, no doubt about that, but Cardio helps more

Get on that treadmill and learn to love it, Your bp readings would too : )

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-24-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I'm taking propranolol 40 mg twice a day. I took labetalol also for a few days but it didn't keep my BP down at all. First beta blocker i started with was metoprolol but i decided to switch to propranolol, after reading up how it's the beta blocker of choice for people with anxiety. Reason i was put on it was when i had a BP spikes issue and went to the hospital. wnet to see a cardiologist and after a few tests found out everything was fine with my heart, kidneys. I asked if i should still take the beta blocker or get off it and he said i should since it helps to keep my rapid heart rate down ( also due to the anxiety)

As for working out, i been exercising for around 15 years on and off, took like a two year break though a few years back but have been consistent again since. it was only like 6 months ago i decided to add cardio to my routine. I do HIIT for my cardio though as it's the best type of cardio to burn fat. I want to start hitting the track at my old school though and do some sprinting intervals and some running

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

That's good, keep running. Lifting weights helps too, but focus more on running like I am!

What is the cause for your rapid pulse? did the doctor ever mention the reason behind this?

Also I'm trying to bring my pulse down to around 60~ thats my target. But the thing is with beta blockers and other bp meds, is that they alter your pulse so you don't know what your true pulse is. eh.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Most beta blockers slow down your metabolism, and hence the weight gain. The older beta blockers such as Propranol and Atenolol supposedly have a greater tendency for weight gain. The newer beta blockers such as Bystolic,
Coreg and Labetalol are not supposed to effect the metabolism as much. I take Bystolic and I noticed some weight gain as opposed to when I was taking Benicar. Even though I feel much better taking Bystolic I still believe that all beta blockers have an effect on metabolic factors. Beta blockers also block the effects of high adrenalin (which is good), but excess adrenalin is also good to burn off calories. I think we need to be more conscious of food intake and especially eating between meals. Keeping active and Exercise is always a plus for weight management.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

i see so many people not liking benicar. What side effects did you get from i? i am on Azor, it's benicar with another med. I don't have any odd side effects from it.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
(male)

abergeron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat View Post
I don't think you are pushing yourself high enough into the cardio zone to really burn fat. I'm 32 and regularly work out with my heart rate right at 160. When I jog, it tends to stay *right there*. I can push it higher, and sometimes do. I used to worry a *lot* about my heartrate, but I've done it enough now that I don't think twice about it. It feels goooooooooood
I'm on board with this here. Personally (if it was me), I would drop all the weight-lifting stuff, and just do hard cardio for 60 minutes a day. I'm 30, get my heartrate up to a constant 158-162 doing cardio, but push it into 170s for intervals, and feel like a million bucks afterwards. I either elliptical at the gym, or now that it's getting warmer out, am running outside (or snowshoe/hike or whatever on the weekends).

I know that strength-training/weights are certainly good for you, but it is my opinion that all the benefits for the heart, reduced stress/anxiety, and overall well-being are found in cardio.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I asked my Dr. this week about the safety of pushing oneself physically while taking a beta blocker. She said don't do it because you could risk heart trouble. This is what I have read in a few medical articles. I love to exercise so I would be doing all that stuff if I didn't have to be on 1800 mg of Lebetalol. Tireness can be a sign that one is pushing beyond one's limits. Fam

Closed Thread