It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Great Office b/p finally!!!

Feel like I've won the Gold metal at the Olympics!!! Although my b/p has been quite good at the endo's for some time (no history of high spikes there or bad experiences.) I walked in with an ice cream cone one day & that ended the small spikes as everyone burst into laughter. Whatever works I say

Last Oct. my b/p was 258/110 at a new DR's so there was whole drama thing about going to the ER etc. He tried to give me blue (I'm already allergic to yellow dye already) Clonidine. He & his nurse were basket cases not knowing how to handle the situation. I was a wreck!!! I called my husband & took more Labetalol & went home to bed.

So I was really nervous going to my regular DR. yesterday for a routine check. I decide to take my own advice & plan for the worst case scenario-going to the ER etc etc etc.

Imagine my surprise when the nurse said your b/p was 127/70 instead of the last reading of 210-90 in Oct. I said "Are you sure?"

So I'm going over & over the details of how this happened. I did visulize eating a delicious Macdonald's ice cream cone & then pretended I was in my swimming pool room detailing what repairs & cleaning needed to be done. All this distracts one from focusing on the b/p reading. It did help that the nurse seemed to have lost her old cuff which always leaked air & concerned me. I did ask her not to use the new nosiy roll-around b/p cuff on a pole which caused the spike last time. Instead she used the portable cuff.

In the new office, I was sitting correctly with my feet flat on the floor. My arm was at heart level & supported.

What a relief to finally get a low reading after 6 yrs & numerous med reactions at this particular Dr's office.

Now maybe I can work on the the fallout high readings at home from all that went on with my severe HBP some of which I'm sure was pt (from hyperthyroidism, nurse, induced!!!

Something has to change for those of us who are hyperresponders!!! I could have had stroke from all the severe spikes.

Each Dr's office needs a proper chair with a table so one's arm is resting, a calm friendly staff, an accurate cuff, & encouragement if the b/p does spike!!!

I think if a patient shows that they have a tendency to spike then he or she needs a med to control this so that they don't get into the habit of spiking a the Dr's. As we all know b/p seldom leaves our minds especially when we hear commercials all day long about strokes etc.

Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Re: Great Office b/p finally!!!

That's great news, congrats on a excellent bp reading!

Can I offer some suggestions? If I recall correctly you were taking 1800mg of Labetalol daily. I took 1200mg daily and wow, was I tried and sick of it. But to be honest I was on a high dose of norvasc as well.

- Split your meds into 3 seperate times, but if it's going to cause an inconvenience then don't Labetalol lasts up to around 8 hours, last time I check.

- Walk more, plan to walk 30 mins and gradually start to jog. You'll be surprised on how fast you'll drop your high amount of meds so fast.

- Mc-donalds is a big no-no. Their foods are fattening and high in sodium and very bad for your health. Not to mention its prepared by teenagers...would you want to eat food that teenagers has prepared? lol.

- With more on that^^, fast food is a big no no, follow the dash regimen as best you could.

These small tips are goign to play a huge factor and help you out big time. Like it did for me when I was on a high-med regimen.

Doctors are prone to prescribe more and more meds because generally speaking, a lot of their patients don't look after themselves and just become unhealthier and unhealthier.

good luck

Old 03-25-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

agreed, McDonalds is bad bad bad. even their new salads i am sure!

I am surprised anyone thinks their food is good.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Congratulations Fam. It's always nice to hear a positive bit of news. Long may it continue!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks so much everyone. My hypertension is from a variety of facors. First is family history. Luckily, no one has had heart disease or a regular stroke with the exception of two age related strokes in the late eighties. One of my aunts lived to 93 with severe hypertension & died from a urinary tract infection rather than HBP.

I love Macdonald's ice cream. It is about 150 calories and only 5 gm of fat last time I checked. I've watched them prepare it. They have a plastic bag of ingredients that is poured into the container & then they add a liquid & turn on the machine. Of course someone could contaminate the container when it is cleaned. My oldest son worked there after high school before going to college.

I prepare all my food at home with the exception of ice cream at MacDonald's once a week. I believe that any food is can fit into a healthy diet as long as it is within your guidelines & in moderation.
I follow a vegeterian food program that includies much of what is in the DASH diet. I do have to limit my intake of the bread group & don't eat meat etc.

As far as exercise, I walk an hour/day, ride an exercise bike for 1/hr, swim 1 hr, & do pool knee exercises for 15 min. I would do more but the bodydamage from my Cozaar reaction prevents that.

My package insert from the manufacturer says that Lebetalol last 12 12 hrs if one takes at least 300mg at a time. Plus if one always eats a consistent amount of food with the medication, more labetalol is available to the body. This called bioavailability. The half life of Labetalol is 6-8hrs. From my understanding, the drug is more effective when taking it twice a day. There are less problems with side effects. I take mine around 11am & just go back to bed & sleep off the side effects. Then I take it again at 11 pm & it generally puts me right to sleep unless I have some issue to deal with. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 03-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Awesome news! Last time i went mine was like 140/90. Highest it's been for me at the docs in a while That pretty much started my high BP tailspin of worrying again their was a new nurse there though and i was taken into a seperate room to get my BP taken , so i was stressed out.

Speaking of fast food i had a cheat night the other night and went to wendys and got a baconator! Soooo good, but it's like the worst thing you can eat. You should only get it like once a year, has your daily % of calories and like a weeks worth of sodium

Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I can't imagine eating something like that. I would think I was having heart attack with all the heartburn. I go as far as eating bacon bits on a egg, lettuce, tomato sandwich . Fam

Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

How good to hear you've found a way to beat the white coat! Congratulations! I hope your blood pressure readings are also fine at home.

FG

Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Thanks so much everyone. My hypertension is from a variety of facors. First is family history. Luckily, no one has had heart disease or a regular stroke with the exception of two age related strokes in the late eighties. One of my aunts lived to 93 with severe hypertension & died from a urinary tract infection rather than HBP.

I love Macdonald's ice cream. It is about 150 calories and only 5 gm of fat last time I checked. I've watched them prepare it. They have a plastic bag of ingredients that is poured into the container & then they add a liquid & turn on the machine. Of course someone could contaminate the container when it is cleaned. My oldest son worked there after high school before going to college.

I prepare all my food at home with the exception of ice cream at MacDonald's once a week. I believe that any food is can fit into a healthy diet as long as it is within your guidelines & in moderation.
I follow a vegeterian food program that includies much of what is in the DASH diet. I do have to limit my intake of the bread group & don't eat meat etc.

As far as exercise, I walk an hour/day, ride an exercise bike for 1/hr, swim 1 hr, & do pool knee exercises for 15 min. I would do more but the bodydamage from my Cozaar reaction prevents that.

My package insert from the manufacturer says that Lebetalol last 12 12 hrs if one takes at least 300mg at a time. Plus if one always eats a consistent amount of food with the medication, more labetalol is available to the body. This called bioavailability. The half life of Labetalol is 6-8hrs. From my understanding, the drug is more effective when taking it twice a day. There are less problems with side effects. I take mine around 11am & just go back to bed & sleep off the side effects. Then I take it again at 11 pm & it generally puts me right to sleep unless I have some issue to deal with. Fam
You need to do more research on McDonalds (not MacDonalds) icecream. it's a scam.. McDonalds actually giving people a larger serving,meaning you are getting double to triple calories and fat.

Anyone who thinks they are eating healthy at McDonalds is fooling themseves. I think once a week eating that can't be good for anyone.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

There was a point when every once in a while i was getting that southwest chicken salad at mcdonalds thinking it was healthy LOL until i read up on how bad it actually is, i think it was the dressing though made it bad,but i only used a tiny bit, but the chicken is probably so processed. Mcdonalds is gross though nowadays. I STILL love me some burger king though! man, i could go for a whopper with cheese right now! *stares at oatmeal*

Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
There was a point when every once in a while i was getting that southwest chicken salad at mcdonalds thinking it was healthy LOL until i read up on how bad it actually is, i think it was the dressing though made it bad,but i only used a tiny bit, but the chicken is probably so processed. Mcdonalds is gross though nowadays. I STILL love me some burger king though! man, i could go for a whopper with cheese right now! *stares at oatmeal*
lol.... yeah

I havent had a burger king in years. I don't have one in my area. I forgot what they tasted like. We have sonics, whataburger, wendy's and mcdonalds.

One place I want to try in in and out. everyone raves about them, but I think they are only in california.

Hey oatmeal is not bad, I like adding fresh blueberries or strawberries. helps a lot

Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Yea i love oatmeal! it's just not a hamburger. Don't get me wrong, i still eat cheeseburgers every so often, and usually have a cheat day here and there. I'm doing bad today though off the bat, first of all i drank last night and got home had pizza! ( i always eat bad after drinking) then today after the oatmeal i had another slice Oh well though, i'm more worried about what i eat for weight purposes, since my BP i can thank from the genes of my father, not what i eat. Speaking of i need to get my cholesterol checked again, it's been a few months.

YES! i want to try in and out burger too but they have none here on the east coast. We have white castle but i think they have a place called crystals thats like the same thing. No whataburgers here either though.

You know what i been wondering? when people get headaches, is it from their blood pressure being elevated ? Like is that what causes headaches, or is it something totally different?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
Oh well though, i'm more worried about what i eat for weight purposes, since my BP i can thank from the genes of my father, not what i eat. Speaking of i need to get my cholesterol checked again, it's been a few months.

?

Have you asked for adderall or ritalin? it helps with fatigue and you lose a lot of weight.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Thats all i would need, I can't sit still as it is! isn't that for ADD though? You'd think something like that would increase BP though.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I take it for fatigue... but you also lose a lot of weight on it quick

Closed Thread