It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Niacin & b/p

Read in a medical article that a study found niacin lowered b/p in certain patietns. Plan to follow up on this info. Niacin is often used to lower Triglycerides.

My Dr. told me that triglyceride blood levels are affected by recent food intakes especially within a week. So Holiday time is not a good time to check. Fam

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Re: Niacin & b/p

Yup, I posted a thread about this some time ago, but no one responded! [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=674303[/url]

Niacin does lower blood pressure, but at the same time you have to really overdose on it to get a lower blood pressure effect. I haven't found a suggestion of how much to take, but its been suggested that 2,000-3000mg spread out throughout the day. That's 10,000 to 15,000% of the Daily Value. It'll probably wreck havoc on your liver, that's why a lot of them recommend to be closely monitored by a doctor and get regularly blood tests done.

But further reading suggests that it actually cleans up your blood vessels too, sort of treating it instead of covering it up. So What I've concluded that drastic changes in your life involved with dedication to exercising and dieting along with Niacin could possible...in time...might get you off of bp meds.

But again its dangerous and if your body could handle it and you get your doctor's approval, I say go for it.

Also, Use "Niacin" and not "Niacinamide". Try to look for a flush-free version of Niacin from a good brand. (remember good brands doesn't really mean the most expensive ones). The flushing from regular ole Niacin is really is a problem.

It's on my list to try in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I didn't know this...wow. Question: there is a non-niacinimide flush-free niacin...inositol hexinate I think, or something like that...would that work too?

tamuprof45

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
I didn't know this...wow. Question: there is a non-niacinimide flush-free niacin...inositol hexinate I think, or something like that...would that work too?

tamuprof45
mhmm I saw that version too, you could try it but everything I could find listed regular Niacin. You get use to the flushes, and it would be lesser over time, but I'm not sure.

Oh I heard the time-released version are more likely to cause liver damage for some reason....

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I'm not going to mess with my liver. My beta blocker is hard on the liver anyhow & I'm on a Mega Dose. Think I will just increase my niacin rich foods. Thanks for the info. Fam

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

does anyone know what is a reasonable dosage for niacinamide? I have cheap b complex with 20mg, and I'm thinking of taking at least three for muscle problems and to stay warm when I'm living in colder house(flushing may be welcome).

Closed Thread