It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Having 1 kidney isn't enough for controlling BP

Kidneys play a huge role in regulating blood pressure, but if you have one... chances are it won't be enough.

My goal is to obviously have a very good diet, be in the best shape I could possible be, and possibly find the right combination of supplements to help regulate it without the excess need of blood pressure meds.

This quest will not be easy, but I'm up for it.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Having 1 kidney isn't enough for controlling BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophypertensio View Post
Kidneys play a huge role in regulating blood pressure, but if you have one... chances are it won't be enough.

My goal is to obviously have a very good diet, be in the best shape I could possible be, and possibly find the right combination of supplements to help regulate it without the excess need of blood pressure meds.

This quest will not be easy, but I'm up for it.
My 85 year old-"friend" would disagree. She's lived with one kidney most of her adult life. She is healthy, very active and has no problems with her blood pressure.

I know things don't always run smoothly. The most important thing you can do is to ensure you have good blood pressure control, as you surely know. As our nephrologists say - blood pressure control is the number 1, number 2 and number 3 most important thing for preserving kidney function.

Your healthy diet will help you maintain good blood pressure control and heart health.

When it comes to blood pressure targets for people with kidney issues, this is where it gets really interesting. Generally, 130/80 or less is recommended. In the presence of urinary protein excretion of >1.0 g/d, the recommended level is 110-129mmHg. Systolic blood pressure of <110 mmHg is associated with a higher risk of kidney disease progression. Excessive lowering of systolic blood pressure can be detrimental to kidney health. As Fam pointed out in one of her recent posts, excessive lowering of diastolic pressure can also create problems. So, in blood pressure control, lower isn't always better. What is your blood pressure target? Mine is 110/70 but I am usually well below these values.

You have to be careful with supplements. Don't take anything at all without consulting your nephrologist. They are drugs in their own right and can be toxic to the kidney in excessive amounts.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

<removed> I hope you don't drink alcohol or take any supplements like flower said. When my docs wanted to test my kidneys i was told to stop my whey protein and creatine.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-31-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
<removed> I hope you don't drink alcohol or take any supplements like flower said. When my docs wanted to test my kidneys i was told to stop my whey protein and creatine.
Oh man that's not good, did they tell you to go on a low-glucose diet too?

Actually I spoken to 3 seperate nephrologists, ran blood work, blah blah. Basically my kidney function level is superb and functions better than expected and right in the range of 2 kidneys levels.

A lot of supplements they approved including whey. Creatine too but they told me to discontinue it a week before I have to have my blood draw. Because Creatine supplements interfere with blood test results.

Basically i'm just sensitive to salt.

And with my progress they expect me to be down to just Norvasc 5mg at night. But I'm aiming to get off of meds completely

Last edited by stophypertensio; 04-01-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Nah, no special diet i was just told to cut all that out until they found out everything was fine. I'm back on the whey protein now. It sucked having to wait for the results of all those tests.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

heh thats good

Closed Thread