It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Blood Pressure Averages: from lowest hourly averages to highest hourly averages.

I've now recorded my blood pressure over 27,000 times since 1998, or an average of 7 times per day. I just ran an interesting report, comparing my current, healthy blood pressure, over the past 12 months (2008-2009), with a previous 12 month's (2002-2003) unhealthy 12 months.

From the following table, it can be seen that in 2002, when my blood pressure was at unhealthy levels, my lowest hourly averages of the day were at 9am (141/90), 10am (142/91) and 12pm (145/93); and the highest hours were at 10pm (163/102), 9pm (161/102) and 8pm (160/101).

Currently, with very healthy blood pressure levels, my lowest hourly averages are at 7am (112/66), 8am (115/69) and 9am (120/71); and the highest are at 5pm (131/77), 7pm (131/77) and 3pm (131/76).

The times are military, so you need to subtract 12 from hours 13 through 24, for 1pm through 12am.

I thought that others might find unique blood pressure info like this interesting. Any questions or comments about trends, or things about the averages that are surprising or unexpected?

--- (2008-2009) ------------- (2002-2003)
  • Hour=7 112/66; ------ Hour=9 141/90
  • Hour=8 115/69; ------ Hour=10 142/91
  • Hour=9 120/71; ------ Hour=12 145/93
  • Hour=10 121/71; ------ Hour=3 145/96
  • Hour=3 121/70; ------ Hour=2 147/92
  • Hour=5 122/71; ------ Hour=8 147/93
  • Hour=6 123/70; ------ Hour=11 147/94
  • Hour=4 123/71; ------ Hour=4 148/96
  • Hour=2 123/70; ------ Hour=17 149/94
  • Hour=21 124/72; ------ Hour=13 149/97
  • Hour=11 124/73; ------ Hour=18 149/94
  • Hour=23 124/71; ------ Hour=14 150/96
  • Hour=24 125/71; ------ Hour=16 150/94
  • Hour=1 125/70; ------ Hour=24 151/98
  • Hour=20 125/73; ------ Hour=1 153/98
  • Hour=22 125/72; ------ Hour=19 153/96
  • Hour=12 126/74; ------ Hour=15 153/95
  • Hour=14 127/75; ------ Hour=6 153/100
  • Hour=13 128/75; ------ Hour=23 156/99
  • Hour=18 128/76; ------ Hour=5 157/102
  • Hour=16 129/77; ------ Hour=7 160/102
  • Hour=15 131/76; ------ Hour=20 160/101
  • Hour=19 131/77; ------ Hour=21 161/102
  • Hour=17 131/77; ------ Hour=22 163/102

* Table starts with lowest hourly averages and ends with the highest hourly averages. The bp readings on the left are from the 2008 time period, the readings on the right are from the 2002 time period.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Blood Pressure Averages: from lowest hourly averages to highest hourly averages.

Interesting. I have the same fluctuations as you, lowest as soon as i wake up then it just gets higher. Is that the norm though macheon? Do even people with high BP usually always have low bp as soon as waking? or is it high for some.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Blood Pressure Averages: from lowest hourly averages to highest hourly averages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage View Post
Do even people with high BP usually always have low bp as soon as waking? or is it high for some.
Lourage, you asked an interesting question. I looked back at my first post, and saw something that I hadn't noticed before you asked this question. Thanks for asking! My first post shows an interesting occurrence, which might offer more questions than answers to your question!

If you look closely at my data...... When my blood pressure was at unhealthy levels, my 5am through 7am readings were among my highest of the day. Now that my blood pressure is at healthy levels, my 5am through 7am readings are among the lowest of the day.

Now...... what does that all mean???

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-01-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Damn, so if you think about it when your BP was uncontrolled, your Bp was probably even high while you were sleeping? which is scary if you think about since, our BP naturally rises during REM sleep. Unless it just spiked up first thing when you woke up? So i guess people with high BP have it start out high in the morning, it lowers, then rasies again towards the night. While people who have it under controlled it's low in the morning and gradually rises.

Come to think of it, my BP has NOT spiked at all fist thing in the morning since being on medication. YET the propranolol should be out of my system by the time i wake up, yet my BP is always low in the morning ( unless i've had a few beers the night before) Whats weird though is i always feel like my BP is high first thing in the morning, or when i'm laying down, i think it's all psychological though.

I want to get a sleep study done, but i can't even fall asleep at home, no way i'd be able to fall asleep for one of those.

also you hear about this new "poly" pill? 5 meds in one ro something. it was in my paper, different beta blockers, aspirin and cholesterol or something along those lines

Last edited by Lourage; 04-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

deja vu? I swear I saw this exact same post before.

is it april fools?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

lourage, until I got my BP under control. I would go to bed with a bp of 185/105. I would sleep thinking it would be lower in the moring and wake up and it would be higher! yes it is scary. but this was after a csection and I was in pain all night and my hormones were insane.

but now it is controlled, it's really low in the mornings. now it's around 97/68

Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Thats scary. Hope i wont need a c section anytime soon it's weird though and i'm not sure this applies to you guys, but i would often think that the reason my BP is so low in the morning is cause i'm not up long enough to worry about it lol. Like i forget all about it for those few minutes.

What is a tilt test and what is the point of it?Macheon did you ever have a tilt test done? is it too see if when laying down your BP rises to high numbers, or is it more of a circulation test?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Damn, so if you think about it when your BP was uncontrolled, your Bp was probably even high while you were sleeping?
I would presume that, for healthy people, the blood pressure falls during sleep, along with the heart rate. For those with immune system disorders, or other health problems, I wonder if the blood pressure is high during sleep? Might take a little research.

Quote:
Come to think of it, my BP has NOT spiked at all fist thing in the morning since being on medication. YET the propranolol should be out of my system by the time i wake up, yet my BP is always low in the morning ( unless i've had a few beers the night before)
Even if most of the Propanolol might be out of your system by morning, the effects from it last much longer.

Quote:
Whats weird though is i always feel like my BP is high first thing in the morning, or when i'm laying down, i think it's all psychological though.
That's an interesting comment. What types of symptoms do you get when lying down, or first thing in the morning?

Quote:
I want to get a sleep study done, but i can't even fall asleep at home, no way i'd be able to fall asleep for one of those.
There's got to be some nights that you have a good night's sleep. Do you always have problems falling asleep? How much sleep to you get each night? How long do you stay asleep?

I'm up about every two hours during the night for a potty run. I'm approaching 70 years, and drink a lot of coffee and tea, so I pay the price during the night. Fortunately, I can fall asleep within a minute or two after lying back down.

Quote:
also you hear about this new "poly" pill? 5 meds in one ro something. it was in my paper, different beta blockers, aspirin and cholesterol or something along those lines
I think that it is a bunch of hooey, for profit making purposes. It does make compliance a little easier, but opens the door to all kinds of problems with interactions with other drugs, foods and drinks.

Personally, I find Coreg to be a "poly" pill. It is wonderful, healing medication. I consider Coreg a medical miracle. I cannot believe the curative effects it is having on my health. Coreg is the main force behind the recent rapid improvement in my quality of life and overall health. What a wonderful, WONDERFUL medication!!!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-04-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
That's an interesting comment. What types of symptoms do you get when lying down, or first thing in the morning?

There's got to be some nights that you have a good night's sleep. Do you always have problems falling asleep? How much sleep to you get each night? How long do you stay asleep?
I remember seeing a video about sleeping and they said your BP rises when your in the last mode of sleep, otherwise it stays low i think.

Symptoms i get i the morning or when laying down is just that feeling of stress, and feeling like warm water is flowing through my blood, tightness in neck, weird tingling when i shake my head from side to side, ears get hot.

lol nah i haven't slept through the night going on a year now. takes me hours to fall asleep, and then when i do i'm up again like every hour on the hour. A good nights sleep for me is 3-4 hours uninterrupted sleep.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Whats weird though is i always feel like my BP is high first thing in the morning, or when i'm laying down, i think it's all psychological though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourage
Symptoms i get i the morning or when laying down is just that feeling of stress, and feeling like warm water is flowing through my blood, tightness in neck, weird tingling when i shake my head from side to side, ears get hot.
If you have some kind of immune disorder, your "psychological" problems and your blood pressure problems and your sleep problems, could all be being caused by over-stimulation of your adrenals, and/or other glands. If your adrenals are constantly pumping chemicals (hormones) like adrenaline, it could cause a number of health problems, like anxiety, tingling, numbness, difficulty falling asleep, etc.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-12-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Yea thats what my neprhrologist though too, thought i might have pheochromcytoma ( spelling?) My adrenal glands were fine. Even my cardiologist said that my kidneys looked "beautiful" and that my heart is strong and that i[m going to live a long life with it.

But thats exactly what it feels like, like a rush of adrenaline. Which makes me think an alpha/beta blocker might be better instead of the propranolol. I tried labetalolol, but when i switched from the metoprolol my bp went up for a few days and it didn't lower it. But then when i started the propranolol my BP went down. I just hate the thought of switching my beta blocker again. especially now that i know my BP spike is strictly caused from my anxiety. I was just put on zoloft though yesterday, so i'll see if that gets my anxiety under control.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I do have a immune disorder. Not sure if it affects my BP. Not everyone with my illness has BP issues. But after all 3 deliveries my blood pressure shot up like mad within a week after I gave birth. maybe hormones or post surgery? hard to know what caused it spike. but I have had BP issues ever since. just gets worse with each kid I have.

I also get tingling now when I lie down.. thats starting to bother me a lot. mostly in the hands or feet.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Another interesting statistic, gleaned from the numbers, is that for the entire year of 2002, my blood pressure averaged 151/96. Every hour, every day, every week, every month for the entire year, I suffered from an average bp around 151/96. That was pretty nasty, especially considering that I was also suffering from worsening heart failure.

Looking further at the data, my average blood pressure for 8pm, 9pm and 10pm was over 160/100! This was for every day, for the entire year! Plus, my bp was just as bad for all of the following year, 2003.

Why did I bring this up? Well...... it is an example of how much abuse one's body can take without keeling over. I'll have to admit that I was lucky that I didn't stroke out, or suffer sudden death, prior to 2006. Finally, during 2004, my health and symptoms got so miserable and nasty, that I had to make some drastic changes. Some of us have hard, thick skulls, and we refuse to make any changes to our diet or lifestyle until we are forced to. I was forced to. I had little choice.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Dad had his first heart attack at 30, waaaaaaay before I was even born. he kept having heart attacks and high bp. Since he has had 4 open heart surgeries and today he is fine and 78. He has always been very active but never dwelled on his health. i think it's all in the attitude.

Now he is told he has some calcifacation and nothing muich they can do. Yet he got remarried and traveling all over.

He never takes his BP unless it's at his doctors. he chooses to live and not fear being sick all the time. Can't argue with that.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Why did I bring this up? Well...... it is an example of how much abuse one's body can take without keeling over.
I admire you man. I wish i could take what you say and just not worry, but i am so crazy in the head with this stuff lol. I have OCD so bad with this now. A few years ago i couldn't care less, and i didn't even think about blood pressure and i went to the doctor like once every 3 years. LOL now i'm there every 2 weeks trying new anxiety medication, getting random tests after tests and it's really wearing me thin.

I just fear a stroke so much. NO one in my family ever suffered one, but that doesn't make me think it wont happen to me. heck, no one else in my family has anxiety disorder, yet i do, so i don't buy into the "in your genes" stuff most of the time. I'm not scared of dying, what scares me is having a stroke, I'd be good just peeling over, but strokes can be the nastiest things ever and i don't want to go blind/ be paralysed or any of that, i'd rather just have one and die. I know it's out of my hands, but damn. it's like i feel like i'm waiting for it to happen, yet i'm 28 years old.

Closed Thread