It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

nancyadams HB User
Unhappy I am so disappointed to have high blood pressure! What can I do??

After entering menopause at age 51, I find myself with rising BP after decades of 120's over 60's. Last year, my scores were 130's over 80's. This year, I'm in the 140's over 90's.

My grandmother had a stroke and my mother had high BP. Are genetics so strong that I'm forced to get on prescription meds? Or is there any hope with supplements like potassium, or others??

I'm crushed. I'm healthy, probably only 5-10 lbs overweight. I exercise 5 times a week.

I would so appreciate any responses.

Nancy

Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
(male)

DW123 HB User
Re: I am so disappointed to have high blood pressure! What can I do??

My wife developed high blood pressure after she started menapause, usually her top number was always higher average of 160/70, I suggested to her Doctor to put her on my medication(Lotrell), he put her on lotrell 5/10 mg. Now her average blood pressure is 116/65, it has been really effective for her. She must have been suffering from high blood pressure for a long time, because after tests they found thickening of her heart(usually caused by high b.p), she was found to have 70% use of her heart. In addition to lotrell I also take atacand 16mg. I believe genetics have something to do with it, all my relatives on my fathers side have high blood pressure.

Last edited by DW123; 04-02-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

nancyadams HB User
Thumbs up Re: I am so disappointed to have high blood pressure! What can I do??

Thanks DW123. If your wife had this happen after meno, looks like I'm not alone. And I'm so young! Who would have guessed. Plus I have no other problems in my health. No pills, nothing. I just hope I haven't done damage to my heart. My bottom number has gotten into the 90's and 100's. I'll check out Lotrell if my other strategies don't work. Nancy

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-03-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

bluepepsi HB User
Smile Re: I am so disappointed to have high blood pressure! What can I do??

I am so happy you are looking for advise and are getting advise. My blood pressure was normal as well in the 120/80 for a long time. However in October of 2008 I fainted and was rushed to the hospital to only find out that my blood pressure was at 200/90 and needing a heart transplant. Everything happened so quickly without warning and come to find out that my blood pressure had been abnormal for awhile and lead to my new problem. I am so happy you are seeking help. Good luck to you.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-03-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I feel your pain. I was in my early sixties when I developed an inflammation of the thyroid. That's when my b/p went over the top.

I had led a very healthy life and didn't have any health problems. I seldom even got a cold must less the Flu. So I, too had a long road to accepting my high blood pressure & the need to take daily meds. It's a bummer. But it could be worse!!!

To top it off, I've had to endure many serious drug reactions etc. and even ended up with permanent damage to my body from one medication.

This is what I have learned:

1.) Don't completely trust your Dr's advice. Always get a 2nd opinion if something doesn't seem right.

2.) Read, Read, & Read more!!! Your life may depend on it in some cases. Network with others in the same boat. You will have to sift through the inaccurate info from the good stuff.

3.) There will be a silver lining although I know you won't believe that now.

4.) Always get the package insert & read it thoroughly no matter what the Dr. or pharmacist says. You don't have to have a PHD to decifer the info.

5.) Start with the lowest dose of medication & gradually add more to achieve your goal weight. Your body will have more time to adapt to the med & you might be able to recognize a reaction while you are still on a low dose.

6) Investigate the DASH diet for HBP, lose weight, reduce stress in EVERY area of your life, look up all the lifestyle issues regarding b/p & eliminate those that raise b/p.

The only thing I can say is I am so grateful that I had my younger years without this burden of HBP as raising a large family would have been impossible.
Fam

Old 04-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

bluepepsi HB User

I wish things were easier. I find myself almost feeling over loaded keep in mind im only 35, no children and recently engaged. My life was nothing more than stress and poor dieting. I find myself lonely at times and try really hard to find things that I like to do but always end up either to tired or just to sick. You are so right in regarding doctors it seems like I have gone through at least 5 since october all with different medications and advise. Overweight was never a problem for me I have always been 128 wet or dry but heart problems run down the line on my mother side from grandma having high bp to passing away to a severe stroke. to my mom who died last year at 57 to heart failure to my oldest sister who has angina and to me now. Ive been told about alot of diets coreg and dash as well. Im happy that you returned a message to me i was feeling almost that it was hopeless to meet new friends who had or has similar problems.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-05-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
(male)

ranger1968 HB User

Nancy Adams,

If you will try a vegetarian diet for two weeks, you will be amazed at the results. You may never go back to eatling like you once did, I am 65 years old, I have been on a vegetarian diet for about a year. I am amazed at the difference, I feel great, better than I did when I was in my 20's. I cut back on salt(use liquid amaino acids instead)....all dairy products....I still eat fish/seafood. I eat no sweets, I do use natural honey and blackstrap molasses, blackstrap molasses is now considered a health food.

On a vegetarian diet you can eat all you want, one probably thinks a vegetarian diet is impossible. This is what I thought, but after being on it for only a week I could tell the difference. All the food taste great....beans, all kinds of fruits......all kinds of vegs....nuts/berries...baked potatoes(top with liquid amino acids/olive oil/no salt garlic pepper).

I will guarantee you are anyone that trys this you will be happy with the results. My bp now runs 115-120 over 60-65, not bad for a 65 year old. I feel absolutely great, I walk 3 miles a day, ride a bike around 8 miles a day. Prior to my change in diet I had no energy to do anything, I still find it hard to beleive how great I feel.

I could go on and on about this subjest...I am passionate about it....

David

Closed Thread