It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
(male)

bensonjordan21 HB User
High Blood Pressure / Kidney Disease / Side effects

My wife has been recently diagnosed with IGAN. She was found to have high blood pressure around 160/110 consistently prior to the diagnosis. No meds taken at that time. She was starting to get constant headaches. She has been placed now on Enalapril for the past 2 months to try and lower the BP and reduce protenuria. Started with 5mg of Enalapril which made no difference on BP. Then increased to 10mg with a diaretic which seemed to help some and get the BP around 140. Then after diagnosing with IGAN doc changed to 15mg of Enalapril. Seemed the BP was around 130 for a few days and now in the past 3 weeks its just continued to increase and now she's back around the 160/110 mark! So three days ago the doc made a huge increase to 40mg/day and her BP is still 165/110! Seems this med is doing nothing for the BP. Not to mention she has extreme headaches every single day for the past couple weeks. Didn't have them as much when she started on Enelapril but now they are horrible. And she is constantly gagging and feeling nausea. She can't even make it through a normal day anymore or live a normal life. LOOKING FOR HELP! Can all this be caused by Enelapril? Can your body build up a tolerance to this med and thats why it seems to have stopped working??

Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure / Kidney Disease / Side effects

I looked up IgAN. Articles stated that IgAN or Berger’s Disease is a result of an over-active and over-reactive Immune System. I have little knowledge of IgAN, and no medical education or training. But, I have been struggling with Immune and NeuroHormonal System Dysfunction, for decades, which has had the effect of increasing the already expected Immune and NeuroHormonal over-activity, which is normally a cause of worsening Heart Failure. The combination of Immune System Function and Heart Failure causes me to have much more over-active and over-reactive Immune and NeuroHormonal Systems, than someone who just has Heart Failure.

That said...... one thing that you might consider is to try and find out the things that are causing an over-reaction of her Immune System, and avoid them. Until these "triggers" are avoided, and/or eliminated, both the Immune System and the NeuroHormonal System will continue to do damage to organs, glands, nerves, muscles, bones, etc., regardless of medication.

In my case, when I have come into contact with something that triggers an over-reaction, or over-activity of my Immune System and/or my NeuroHormonal System, I know it because it causes me to suffer from increased Heart Rhythm Irregularities, and/or Higher Blood Pressure, Fatigue, Weakness, over-sweating, Mental Confusion, Difficulty Breathing, tingling in my hands, and/or Malaise, etc.

So..... when any of my symptoms increase, I try to connect the dots and try to figure out what might have caused the increase in symptoms. It has been a very complex, slow process, with complex and difficult solutions, over the past 20+ years, but the process has significantly improved my health.

Has your wife been able to determine anything that might trigger increases in her other symptoms?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Benson,

I am sorry about your wife's diagnosis.
Hypertension is both a complication and a cause of kidney disease. In individuals with hypertension and renal impairment, the focus is on controlling hypertension. Strict blood pressure control is essential. Reducing urinary protein losses is equally important, because it slows the progression of renal injury.

ACE inhibitors are very effective in reducing proteinuria as well as blood pressure. Unfortunately, some people cannot tolerate them and develop complications. ACE inhibitors are contraindicated in certain renal and other disorders. Sometimes they aggravate the existing problem to such an extent that they have to be rapidly discontinued. Their use can result in decline in renal function, acute renal failure, hypotension, high potassium levels, cough, sometimes accompanied by bronchospasms, and other adverse effects. Clearly, they are not for everyone.

The role of high blood pressure in speeding up the progression rate, and in the outcome makes blood pressure control a first-line treatment in kidney disease. When the renoprotective ACE inhibitors cannot be tolerated, Angiotensin receptor blockers can be used, alone or in combination with other drugs,with similar results. So, fortunately, in addition to the ACE inhibitors, there are other treatment options available to deal with the hypertension and to reduce proteinuria. I think the doctor, by progressive increase of the dose, is aiming for a significant reduction of proteinuria, as well as achieving the blood pressure target. I hope your wife's response is closely monitored so that adjustments can be made to her therapy in a timely manner.

Many kidney and other diseases are closely linked to inflammation. Often, the inflammatory processes are ongoing. Machaon's suggestion about identifying and avoiding the triggers of the inflammatory and overactive neurohormonal processes should prove very helpful, though it may take some time to yield benefits. Supplements can also help reduce inflammation. In addition to the antihypertesive/antiproteinuric drug treatment, lifestyle modifications, such as restricting sodium intake, limiting alcohol consumption, quitting smoking and losing excess weight (that's a tough one) should be tried.

A quick note about the side effects. Nausea is one of the many symptoms of chronic kidney disease. There are drugs that can help with that short-term. Unfortunately, they are not without untolerable side effects. The cough is likely an adverse effect of the drug, unless there is a history of pulmonary, GI or other problems. It can begin within 1-2 weeks of therapy, or be delayed for up to six months. The ACE I cough resolves within 1-4 days of discontinuing the therapy, but can take up to four weeks to get rid of. Your wife should insist on seeing her doctor soon to evaluate her response (or, rather, lack of one!) to this medication. My experience in dealing with chronic kidney disease is limited. I am dealing with some of the same issues as your wife. Tell her to do some research - knowledge is power. It takes a while to understand how things work and what makes us tick.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-04-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Your question reminded me of my past health problems. My primary physician had been trying different meds to get my blood pressure down(which were borderline readings in her office). I was unable to tolerate the side effects of beta blockers and Norvasc, so she tried diuretics. They would make me so sick that I went in to tell her and she told me to take MORE of them. So that night I increased the dose and my heart pounded rapidly which woke me up and I was so sick to my stomach. It was very scary!! Since she was unable to help me, I searched on my own for some relief. It turns out that potassium and magnesium are the most prevalent minerals inside a cell and are the most important for our bodies to work correctly.
So I stopped the meds and started eating foods high in potassium. Then I found out that there are forms of magnesium our bodies cannot absorb into the bloodstream--such as magnesium oxide and hydroxide(for example Milk of Magnesia, which is why they work so well in the intestines!) There are forms of magnesium to avoid, such as magnesium glutamate and magnesium aspartate.
I started taking a form of magnesium called jigsaw. My Dr never told me that magnesium is a "calming mineral." The diuretic was doing the exact opposite--it was making my blood pressure elevate. Turns out my body needed magnesium.
The Merck Manual actually listed symptoms of low magnesium and nausea was at the top of the list.
Also low taurine seemed to result in greatly reduced health partly by loss of magnesium through the kidneys. Taurine is an amino acid synthesized with
Vit B6. Cottage cheese is a good source of taurine. Zinc seems to support taurine in cell transport. So you can see, our bodies our very complicated, but yet very simple if only we get the basic vitamins and minerals that it needs to work right.
Too much good magnesium can lower your heart rate to an unsafe level, so it isn't something that should be taken in a mega dose. In fact, now I only take
500mg of magnesium when I am stressed.
Today I have a new Dr and I also take a small dose of Lisinopril, 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet twice a day. I feel great!! Eating veggies is important to my health.
So I am hoping that my story has encouraged you to keep searching for ways to be healthy. Take good care.

Last edited by kidd123; 04-07-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Closed Thread