It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Vitamin D

What role does Vitamin D play in the realms of blood pressure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Re: Vitamin D

Excellent question. I can tell you this much, which is all I know on the subject. A range of studies have shown that spending 15 minutes a day in the sun and exposing as much skin as possible (no I'm not advocating nude sun-bathing!) lowers BP by some measure...I forget the mechanism. I could be totally wrong but I think it has to do with the way the body absorbs it from the sun and in turn how it affects the ACE enzyme. I may be WAY off base and I apologize, but I do know that real evidence suggests sun-bathing (without overdoing it) lowers BP by at least some amount.

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Thanks for your reply tamuprof45, makes sense. Do you think supplementing Vitamin D would be the same thing?

Old 04-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I read that too Tamerproof. I've been out in the sun for the 15 min sessions. Guess what last summer my rash that I have had for two years got under control & didn't get bad again until fall/winter. The Dr. had thought perhaps the rash was from HCTZ.

Now a new development, I lost one pound & my rash is going away. My blood count (hemoglobin) went up (it had dropped after the Cozaar reaction) & my triglycerides dropped back to my normal numbers. Oh! & my HDL went up. I can't figure it up but it is a pleasant change.

My hemoglobin increase maybe because I started using my iron skillet again for cooking. I always used it before I had the Cozarr reaction but it became too heavy when my hands were swollen.

FAm

Closed Thread