It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

Molly Mc HB User
Question Bystolic

I have been on Bystolic 10mg for four weeks. I do have mild asthma but was on Toprol XL for a several years. I think Bystolic is bothering my asthma. The Toprol never did. It's almost like having a catch in your throat and you have to cough to get rid of it. Anyone else having a similar problem with this drug? Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Bystolic

Hi Molly,

beta blockers can provoke bronchospasms in people with asthma and other lung diseases. Even the more selective beta1 blockers will block the beta2 adrenergic receptors in the lung, especially in higher doses when their (relative) selectivity is lost. For this reason, until quite recently, people with asthma and other pulmonary conditions were supposed to avoid all beta blockers. Doctors prescribed beta blockers to people with asthma only if they were indicated for coexisting heart problems. This practice has been changing and is now less clear cut. Cardioselective beta blockers should be safe in smaller doses in people with mild or moderate asthma, and only used with extreme caution -if at all- in people with severe asthma. People with COPD seem to tolerate beta blockers well.

So, if your current beta blocker is intensifying your asthma, try another beta blocker with a partial agonist activity (ISA), or one that has added alpha-adrenergic blocking properties, such as Labetalol or Carvedilol. When comparing the properties of these two drugs recently, I read that they are reasonably well tolerated by people with asthma thanks to the alpha receptor blockade. If you don't have to be on a beta blocker for heart issues, you should consider using a drug from a different class of antihypertensives.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-21-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

Molly Mc HB User

Thank you for your reply. I talked to the doctor's nurse yesterday and he wants me to stay on the meds for now. I am seeing him in two weeks. I told her I had an issue with my new inhaler but she hasn't got back to me yet on whether or not he will change it.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Have you started a new asthma medication at the same time as the beta blocker? If the answer is yes, it wouldn't hurt to check for drug interactions between all of your existing medications. I always do. The number of potential adverse effects arising from their interactions increases each time a new medication is added.

Good luck with Bystolic!

FG

Old 04-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

Molly Mc HB User

Good idea I will do that. Molly

Closed Thread