It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

mages011 HB User
High Blood Pressure @ age 22.

***I apologize for the length but if you would read forward and give me some advise, whether medical or rational I would appreciate it.***

I've had high blood pressure for about 3 years now according to machines in the grocery stores.

I've constantly taken blood pressure at these said stores in my area and asked the pharmacies the last time they were celebrated. Which have been monthly everywhere I asked. Which means they must be somewhat accurate.

I've been a heavy drinker since my freshmen year of college. I've had slight chest pains for the last 5 months which is why I'm positing here.

I would go to a doctor but I have no health insurance and am in debt from my previous college loans.

I've been drinking about a half liter of vodka almost everyday, I know have a problem but that is not what I'm asking about.

I've had a rapid weight gain as you can imagine over the past 12 months.

I went from 190lbs 6' 1'' in they year 2006 to 233lbs 6' 1'' 2009.

But I have a large build and 190lbs was almost unhealthy for me. Regardless.
What can I do to remedy this situation.

I've been trying to tone down my drinking but I realize I have an addiction to alcohol, which runs in my family.

I've been to Alcoholics Anonymous meeting but they base their recovery program on religion, which I have no interest in.

Is their anything I can do that anyone would know off hand to fix my problem.
It may seem like an easy soloution like "stop drinking."

But thats what I have been working on. toning down my consumptions weekly.

But I've always had a high blood pressure previous to the drinking.

<removed>

is there anything over the counter I could take?

**Edit Additions**
I realize that stress may also be an issue, my girlfriend and I recently broke up, we have a daughter the age of 9months. She left for a few months to go down south to visit her family and she will be back but man, it has also taken its toll.

I'm just worried about the long term affects of whats going on currently, I don't want to shorten my life with all this stress, alcohol, and high blood pressure.

I realize this doesn't seems like a straight up question, but I'm looking for advise more than anything, not a medical diagnosis.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-21-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Watch your language on the Boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure @ age 22.

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question--stop drinking. There's no question that it can drive your BP up. Google "alcohol induced hypertension" and see what you find. Of course, the extra weight, lack of exercise and other unhealthy habits that go with drinking will contribute to high BP. Time for a serious lifestyle change.

Personally, I love my beer way too much, and I can see how it impacts my BP. One day or night of over-indulgence will lead to, first, a hangover, then several days of high BP as my body deals with the withdrawal. Cutting it out is the only answer my friend.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
(male)

mages011 HB User

well as far as the accuracy goes on the pharmacy blood pressure machines.

I had a blood pressure of 200/x x meaning I don't remember what is was.

but it was definelty in the hypertension stage.

I better make major changes if I'd like to live beyond 40.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Being alcoholic and hypertensive is actually doing more organ damage than you might think. While the alcohol is working on your brain, liver, pancreas, etc....the hypertension is ruining the tiniest blood vessels throughout your body, causing strokes in your brain, strokes on your retina's, hardening your heart, and shutting down your kidneys.

It sucks, and I know! I became hypertensive in my early 20's like you, and by the age of 43, I have had 4 brain strokes, strokes on my retina's, a heart attack, kidney failure, blah blah blah.

All that, was without adding the drinking, that you are having to deal with too. The stress you are under, will of course, make everything worse. I feel for you, man. Taking the alcohol out of the picture is the one thing you can only do for yourself, and I bet the other issues would level out a bit.

Don't wait, because each year of drinking makes it harder to stop. Give yourself a chance to enjoy life with your little daughter. Look down each road 5 years from now... then pick your path. I wish your well.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

In addition to the comments of the other posters, you might consider screening yourself for obstructive sleep apnea...this condition is about as common as asthma and diabetes, but can elevate blood pressure on the average of about 10 points.

Bethsheba

Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

If you do not like AA, I suggest you read into Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery. Look up "Addictive Voice". Amazing stuff!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
(male)

erich45 HB User

I developed high blood pressure in my 20's too. My blood pressure was 190/100 when I was first diagnosed. I didn't smoke or drink, only slightly overweight, and had no family history of hypertension. They found my right kidney was half the size of a normal kidney, and my left kidney was slightly above average in size. But both kidneys worked fine. My BUN and creatinine have always been normal. They thought maybe I had Renal Artery Stenosis - maybe the right kidney was small due to a diminished blood supply? They did a renal angiogram and found nothing - the blood supply into the kidney was normal. My potassuim was normal. I took the Corgard for 5-8 years. Then the high blood pressure quit. I began to get 120/80 readings without the medication. Nobody knows why. But for some reason it has started again and now I take Lisinopril.

Closed Thread