It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
how long until you get lower bp from low sodium

i'm doing between 500mg to 1000mg daily...when until i see effects?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User
Re: how long until you get lower bp from low sodium

My doc said that a low sodium diet can help by "a couple points." In other words, he's not too convinced that it will lead to dramatic results. If that is true, it might be hard to notice exactly when it takes effect. However, with that said, I do follow a low sodium diet, mostly because it helps me eat healthier all around. If you're eating low sodium, you're staying away from processed foods--which is good. I gravitate towards fresh fruits and vegetables for snacks, as opposed to the chips and pretzels that I used to eat, and I'll eat grilled meats instead of battered or fried meats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I might question the "few points" comment...the DASH diet for example works by emphasizing low sodium and its natural diuretic effect...the impact in BP seems to be more than a "few points."

There is massive contradictory info re sodium out ther, enough to make the head spin. OTOH many doctors say only a minority of BP patients are sodium-sensitive. OTOH, low sodium diets like DASH work in 75-80% of patients, so how could the prior point be true, I wonder?

tamuprof45

Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

tamuprof45;

my doctor said "you know how I know you are sodium-sensitive?" "b/c you have HBP"

hbp is always caused by heart/kidney problems, age, overweight, out of shape, smoking/drinking/, etc

I don't have none of that besides the "out of shape" part, but i'm jogging a lot (almost everyday), to get back in form

so which leaves the salt part, i didn't watch my sodium intake at all

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-22-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I really beg to differ with you. Those are not the only causes of HBP....there is the genetic link. I jog religiously, have for years. Work out twice a week with a trainer. Am 5'2" and weigh 110, 63 years old. Had low blood pressure (90/60) most of my life. Never eat much salt...diet style hasn't changed much in years. All of a sudden two years ago, the bad gene from my dad showed up - high blood pressure. Had to quit boasting about my excellent cholesterol ratings (167) to my sister who got the bad cholesterol gene from daddy. (She works out, eats right, etc just like me). There is nothing you can do about the genetic link. My doc says that sodium intake is not the cause in most cases of HPB. And since he has an MD/PhD and did his PhD in hypertension, I listen to what he says.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Maybe hormonal? that can play a part also. I know after each baby my BP shoot up like mad and took forever to come down. I have been off meds for awhile now and my bp is betwen 80/60 90/70 as a average, now that my hormones settled down. men get hormone inbalances as well as females. You might want to have it checked out.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

There certainly is a genetic component to HBP in some people. In the aggregate however, levels of HBP have risen parallel to the sharp increase in sodium in the food supply as well over the past few decades. Doctors are often far too quick to shrug their shoulders and say "Gee high blood pressure 'just happens,' sorry, here are your 5 prescription drugs." For some people, without a doubt, resistant hypertension is very real. But many can with time isolate a factor or factors that they can address to control it.

In the meantime, it is vital to work with doctors who LISTEN to isolate a cause, be it sodium or another to thus calibrate a proper and helpful treatment.

tamuprof45

Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I will further add that most people, the vast majority in fact (myself included) had/have little idea just how much sodium they consume. The amount in foods we take for granted like bread is absolutely staggering. Virtually all canned or frozen food products, ditto. And then there are restaurant foods.

I used to think I ate a low sodium diet because I never added salt to my food. I later calculated on average my daily sodium intake was in excess of 6000 mg per day. I have since, sadly, become a fanatical label reader re sodium as well as cut back on restaurant food a lot. Along with sugar, sodium in food today is absolutely pernicious.

tamuprof45

Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
I might question the "few points" comment...the DASH diet for example works by emphasizing low sodium and its natural diuretic effect...the impact in BP seems to be more than a "few points."
Personally, I would think that the DASH diet works because of the foods it emphasizes--fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc.--rather than just because it is low sodium. In any event, a low sodium diet tends to be a healthier diet by consequence, and a healthier diet in conjunction with exercise will lead to good BP results in a lot of people.

If you are eating 6000 mg of sodium a day, without adding salt, it cannot be a very healthy diet, in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Tam is correct about how much sodium we really do eat in one day. I know so many people who say.. oh I NEVER add salt. they just don't get it. After my Dad's open heart surgery he was on an insane low sodium diet. he was down to pretty much nothing to eat and the foods he did have were awful.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I found it intriguing that there are a few tribal societies in the world where the elderly keep their BP well below 115/75 even as they age. The common thread in these societies that anthropologists noted was the very low amounts of sodium in their traditional diets. Certainly an active lifestyle helps too, as well as being socially connected...both of which lower BP. I can't help thinking the sodium must be a big issue too.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And if they were exposed to a typical Western diet, they would probably develop HBP. Then, they would have damaged a gene and the next generation, if if they went back to the tribal location and lived totally in that environment, would have a higher risk for HBP. You just cannot discount the genetic link. And until gene therapy is refined, there won't be a way to correct it.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

I don't know why low sodium foods would be awful? Fresh fruits, veggies, unsalted nuts, grains, lean meats and fish seasoned appropriately...

Stay away from packaged foods (can, jar, box, bottle, whatever) and you'll avoid a lot of sodium and a whole lot of other crap that's not good for you.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I don't know why low sodium foods would be awful? Fresh fruits, veggies, unsalted nuts, grains, lean meats and fish seasoned appropriately...

Stay away from packaged foods (can, jar, box, bottle, whatever) and you'll avoid a lot of sodium and a whole lot of other crap that's not good for you.
I agree 100%

including staying away from bread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
And if they were exposed to a typical Western diet, they would probably develop HBP. Then, they would have damaged a gene and the next generation, if if they went back to the tribal location and lived totally in that environment, would have a higher risk for HBP. You just cannot discount the genetic link. And until gene therapy is refined, there won't be a way to correct it.
uhhhh no it wouldn't. they developed a good tolerance and it would take a lot of mcdonalds to break someone who eats nothing but fresh fruits, veggies & meats into the HBP range. Thats why about 1/3 of american adults have HBP.

In fact, no one should eat a typical western diet. You are what you eat.

Closed Thread