It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
(male)

mikide HB User
Why continue taking HBP meds?

Hello all, I would appreciate your views on the following please, I am 46 and last december started getting a stiff neck pain, went to the doctor for a full checkup and he determined it was High Blood Pressure so he gave me some pills and told me to lose some weight, watch my slt intake and get some exercise and I'll be ok.

I lost the weight and religiously have been watching my salt intake since then, my problem now is taking the pill everyday, it makes me feel tired all the time, lack of energy, dizziness sometimes during the day and if I try to pick up something from the ground it feels like I have a block in my head.

Last week I finally got fedup and stopped taking the daily pill and since then to now, I finally feel like my old self again. I remember asking the Doc at my last checkup why if my BP was back to normal all seems fine why I can't stop taking the pill, his response was that it is a precautionary measure that when one gets HBP fro the first time then it's very easy to get it again anytime in the future and also that if I stop taking the pill I may develop HDB and not know it.

Since I am taking all precautionary measures to try to make sure that I never get HBP again and I'm feeling fine, is there any other reason why I should continue to take this daily pill?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Why continue taking HBP meds?

What was the extent of your blood pressure problem, before you started taking medication? What was your average daily blood pressure?

What is your current average daily blood pressure, now that you have changed your diet, and lost weight?

Most don't have answers to these questions. But...... before I would start taking a life-long journey enduring blood pressure pill side-effects, I would want to know more about my blood pressure.

Blood Pressure varies throughout the day. A higher than normal (over 120/80) reading, once in a while, especially in the afternoon, might not indicate a blood pressure problem. Many Blood Pressure medications attempt to "calm" the metabolism, which invariably results in increased sluggishness, tiredness and lack of energy. Plus, these medications can frequently cause sexual dysfunction.

Doctors know that, once they get someone on a prescription medication, then they have increased their annual business "assets". So...... a doctor's decision to place a "paying" patient on life-long medication can be an easy and profitable decision!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-22-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
(male)

mikide HB User

I am wondering if as an alternative it may be best to simply get a BP monitor and monitor my BP everyday?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Monitoring your blood pressure at home is a very good way to determine the range of your blood pressure, during a typical day.

If your blood pressure is reasonably healthy most days, then you could put the blood pressure gauge in a drawer and only take it out occasionally. If your blood pressure is higher than it should be, then you might want to consider additional diet changes and increasing your exercise, and continuing to monitor.

You might start off taking a morning reading, before breakfast, and then an evening reading before dinner. Blood Pressure tends to rise during the day, so one shouldn't be surprised if the evening reading is higher than the morning reading.

Do you remember the time that your doctor took your blood pressure, and the reading?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-22-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
(male)

mikide HB User

Don't remember the reading either the first time or when I went back 2 weeks after when he told me my BP was back to normal. Both times the BP reading was taken at around 10am.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

What med are you on? & at what dose?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
(male)

mikide HB User

Atenolol\chlor 50mg/25mg, one pill per day

Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

If your blood pressure now is within normal limits then no you do not have to take the pills. Your doctor is silly to make the assumption that you will not maintain your new found health. He is assuming you will not continue to eat right or exercise. Taking the blood pressure pills when your blood pressure is normal will give you side effects as you have discovered so I personally would stop them. However, you do need to take your blood pressure often and would suggest you buy your own cuff to keep track. Keep your pills on hand for the occasional times that it might go up. Males can not survive with very high blood pressure where as women can tolerate very high blood pressures and do okay. So be sure to keep a close eye on your blood pressure...taking it maybe once a month would be fine unless of course it is up then you would want to reeval the need for BP medicine.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Ask the Dr. about taking aspirin (low dose) to prevent clots. Don't do this on your own because some people are at risk for GI bleeding.

You need to get a baseline reading of how your b/p varies during the day. Take it when you get up after urinating, before breaksfast, after exercise, before lunch & dinner. Then take it again before going to bed.

After a week of that just monitor it once a week & particularly during stressful times.

Hooray for you for being so proactive. Remember to include stress reduction along with the DASH diet for HBP. Fam

Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
(male)

mikide HB User

All very good advice here, thanks, can I ask anyone here to recommend a good brand and model of BP monitor/cuff? <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-22-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Omron is a very good and reliable brand.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
(male)

mikide HB User

Yes, I've seen that brand before in Doctor's office, thank you very much, which is better for home use? If I get the one where you pump yourself or the automatic? I am more leaning towards the automatic becuase I won't know when to stop?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
(male)

DW123 HB User

I just purchased an Omron they sell 2 different automatic models a lower end which is a basic model and an upper end (which I bought) it has a feature that will average 3 readings, also it has a switch(a&b)where 2 people can use the machine, it's like 2 machines in 1. I have heard either machine is very accurate and highly recommended.

Last edited by DW123; 04-23-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have a Homedics that I bought at Walgreens....about $60. It accomodates 2 poeple and is automatic.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
(male)

mikide HB User

I wonder how does the automatic type know when to stop?

Closed Thread