It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

howjack HB User
Obsessing over BP - Should I go on meds?

Hi,
I had a baby in November. My BP was normal throughout the entire pregnancy. In March, I went for a routine OB/GYN checkup, and my BP was 120/98. He told me to buy a BP machine and monitor it for a few days. If it was still high, to go to my PCP and talk to him.
Well, I ran right out and bought a BP machine. That night, it went as high as 160/115. I probably took it 100 times and it fluctuated a lot, never going lower than 140/90
The next day, I went to my PCP and he gave me Benicar 20mg. He told me to take it if I saw my diastolic go over 90.
I took it for 10 days. I also exercised everyday. I saw my BP drop at one point to 89/68. I called my Dr., and he told me to stop the meds.
When I went back to see him several days later (med-free), my reading was 125/86

My history.
I am very overweight. Before the high BP reading I had recently lost over 30 lbs.
Since then, I have lost another 15, and still have another 50 to go.
I jog/brisk walk at least 3 miles per day, and do weight training (not very heavy). My resting heart rate is good (about 68).
I saw a cardiologist had a stress test and echo, which were good.
Blood tests were good.
Renal and adrenal scans were good.

I find that if I don't exercise, even for one day, my BP shoots up to 125/90 or so. If I miss two days, it goes to 135/95.
As long as I exercise everyday, my BP is around 110/78

I am scared, because there are just some days that I can't exercise (if I work too late, etc.)

Should I go on meds?
I was hoping that continuing to work out and lose the weight would help me stay at a good level. However, if I miss one day, my BP rises and that freaks me out.

Also, I can't stay away from the BP machine.
Yesterday, my husband told me that he was going to hide it if I didn't get away from it immediately.

I am giving myself headaches and want to take it all the time just to check.
I even have the urge to bring it to work with me (though I haven't gone that far yet).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Obsessing over BP - Should I go on meds?

Losing excess body fat should help your blood pressure control.

Try to see if you can get exercise into your daily routine. For example, can you walk, run, or bicycle at least part of your commute to work?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

The constant obsessing can make it worse, in my view. I know the feeling. I get into the same cycles. It's frustrating and it takes over your life. I think it is best to take it maybe once a day at the same time (or twice, morning and night) and look at long-range trends, and then put more focus and effort on healthy eating, exercise, weight loss, etc. Try not to focus on one bad reading. You'll be a happier person and it will probably help your BP, too.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
(female)

howjack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Losing excess body fat should help your blood pressure control.

Try to see if you can get exercise into your daily routine. For example, can you walk, run, or bicycle at least part of your commute to work?
Hi,
I can't exercise during my commute. I drive into work (about 2 hours, 1 way).
I do try to get some exercise in everyday I can though.
Right now, I'm getting about 5 days a week in. But sometimes when things get really busy at work, I don't get a chance.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
(female)

howjack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
The constant obsessing can make it worse, in my view. I know the feeling. I get into the same cycles. It's frustrating and it takes over your life. I think it is best to take it maybe once a day at the same time (or twice, morning and night) and look at long-range trends, and then put more focus and effort on healthy eating, exercise, weight loss, etc. Try not to focus on one bad reading. You'll be a happier person and it will probably help your BP, too.
Thank you.
For the past few days, I've been trying not to obsess.
I am focusing on taking care of myself, and knowing that I am trying to do what I can to keep my BP under control.
I have been taking my BP less, which is helping me not to stress out as much.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

You sound soo o much like me! after each baby my BP went insane. it took me over a year with this last baby until my BP stabilized. Mine went from 191/110 after my baby to last nights reading of 80/49. now my BP is too low. I have been off medication for awhile now. I was put on Adderall XR and lost 35 pounds and now I am underweight and my BP just dropped like crazy.

I would relax and try not to stress over it. I do think you should keep an eye on your BP since you have a history of it going high, but I think with people like us, hormones played a big part in our pressure. It takes women a year before our homones really go back to normal again.

Closed Thread