It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
New garlic based ACE inhibitor supplement

Anyone ever hear of the product "Bearlic?" It is apparently a supplement made from a species of garlic that has (so it is alleged) extremely potent ACE inhibitor properties, more so then say Kyolic, Kwai, etc.

I am just learning about this so have little data...a few limited animal studies showing a great BP reduction effect, but that's it. I'll post more as I learn more.

tamuprof45

Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Re: New garlic based ACE inhibitor supplement

I read some info too just now, it sounds good

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I haven't checked it out yet and definitely plan on doing so. Would you guys happen to know the difference between AGED garlic supplements and, well, I guess REGULAR? garlic supplements (which I have been taking for over 2 years now)? Aged garlic supplements were mentioned on another board as one of several that reduce inflammation, making me wonder if one gets BETTER results using those than with just the regular ones.

FG

Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

imo garlic is just garlic, i like how manufacturers will come out with a new form of garlic which is better than some other form of garlic

they typically say to take between 1 -3 cloves of garlic a day for HBP, as long as its a good well established manufactor is more of a issue for me

Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

The manufacturer of Bearlic "claims" that Bearlic (Allium ursinum), also known as Bear's Garlic, has twice the amount of ACE inhibitors and other hypotensives found in cultivated garlic products and works through at least 3 distinct mechanisms.

I wonder what all that means? I had to stop taking my Ace Inhibitor because of unpleasant reactions with my high potassium diet. Would Bear's Garlic (Allium ursinum) have the same unpleasant interaction? Allium ursinum acts by opening up the ATP-dependent potassium (KATP) channel in the smooth muscles of blood vessels. Does this mean that Allium ursinum effects serum potassium similar to Ace Inhibitors?

Also...... if one is already taking an Ace Inhibitor, or other heart meds, could there be a possible interaction with Bear's Garlic (Allium ursinum)? Could Allium ursinum cause a coughing problem in some, similar to Ace Inhibitors?

Perhaps I am being too cautious, but after going through many bad experiences and interactions, I have learned to put caution first.

If someone tries this, feedback would be appreciated.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-27-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
(female)

mtngal HB User

Concerning the bearlic or garlic based "ace inhibitor" type supplement, I have heard some people asking about it but no answers as to where to find it. I would like to know because I prefer natural things that work over prescriptions with bad side effects. I am now on 40mgs of micardis which helps some and I don't have bad side effects yet but it is not strong enough to keep my blood pressure lower all the time. I have spikes in it and sometimes the pressure goes up to 150 or 140 on the upper part but the lower is not bad. I want to keep it in the 120 range but it does not stay there much. I take aspirin and garlic but I get little blood blisters on my arms sometimes because of the blood thinning aspect.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

doesn't garlic act as a blood thinner as well?

Closed Thread