It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User
anti-anxiety meds for BP

What are some anti-anxiety meds that have worked for lowering BP?

What is your opinion on treating anxiety with meds, with the hope of stabilizing BP at a normal level, instead of just treating BP with BP drugs? Does that work for some people?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Re: anti-anxiety meds for BP

Anti-anxiety meds do not lower BP...they merely make you less freaked out about your BP.

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
(male)

DW123 HB User

My Doctor felt that that my anxiety and stress was driving up my bp so he prescribed effexor and he told me to take valium until the meds kicked in. I know the valium has lowered my bp calming me down. I am really worried about the side effects of effexor I don't know if I want to start this medication.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

2.5 - 5mg of valium lowed my BP too low when my pressure was high. So yes it does work

Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Stress, tension, anxiety, anger, fear, pollutants, allergens, irritants, diet, etc., can all cause higher blood pressure. Meds that lower anxiety would naturally have a lowering effect on blood pressure, but there are many, many other triggers of higher blood pressure, MANY!

So...... for someone prone to higher blood pressure, anti-anxiety meds might not be enough. Blood Pressure meds would still probably be the med of choice.

It's far better to be on the safe side, and take blood pressure meds, if indicated, rather than risk eventual danage to the kidneys, thyroid, pancreas, heart, nerves, etc.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-27-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Lourage ( another member here) and I both have BP that spikes when we stress. I forgot what he takes, but he found that it did help lower his BP, but didn't really stabalize it. I believe he ended up taking a beta blocker to get his BP stable.

Maybe he will see this and reply, I haven't seen him in awhile.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
(female)

sally47 HB User

im on meds for hbp.. a few year back when my panic/anxiety attacks were at a high was given on 2 different occasions anxiety meds which pulled my bp down so low that i wanted and was ready to faint ...at the time my doctor said that was the side effects of the anxiety meds causing your bp to fall to low ...and because i was on bp meds the effects were worse ...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
(male)

abergeron HB User

should do it

Last edited by abergeron; 04-27-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
(male)

DW123 HB User

My Doctor prescribed a beta blocker which seems to be working so far. I may not need to go on anxiety medication which I fear.

Last edited by DW123; 04-27-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
2.5 - 5mg of valium lowed my BP too low when my pressure was high. So yes it does work
how many times did you take it a day? was this intended for long time use or no?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

I took xanax .5mg 2x a day for 3 months, didn't change anything

Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Over-activity by the NeuroHormonal System is the main cause of higher blood pressure. Anxiety meds attempt to relax the nervous system, which, in turn, reduces over-activity of the NeuroHormonal System. But..... Blood Pressure meds act directly to inhibit the NeuroHormonal System, and are much more effective at lowering blood pressure than anxiety meds.

For someone like me, approaching 70, with Heart Failure and other serious health problems, who used to suffer from chronically high blood pressure, it is essential that I keep my blood pressure at healthy levels. High Blood Pressure can result in damage to organs, glands and nerves. I take my blood pressure around 7 times per day. So far, I've taken my blood pressure 27239 times since 1998, and I do reports and charts that have significantly influenced my medications, diet and lifestyle.

I guess it all depends upon your blood pressure needs. Some, with mildly higher blood pressure, might be able to maintain healthy blood pressure levels by just taking an anti-anxiety med. Others might need to take meds that are more tailored to treat high blood pressure. Some might need both?

I've never suffered from anxiety and have no experience with anti-anxiety meds.

I just feel fortunate that I am able to take the miraculous Blood Pressure & Heart Failure medication, Coreg. What a wonderful discovery!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-28-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I am not aware of any studies showing a BP lowering effect of xanax or valium. OTOH I had forgotten that beta blockers are sometimes prescribed for anxiety...but even then I never really thought of them as primarily an anti-anxiety drug per se.

So I guess, yes, as anti-anxiety drugs, beta blockers work because they directly effect BP not just indirectly through anxiety lowering.

tamuprof45

Old 05-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

The reason I asked is because my BP appears to be completely and inextricably intertwined with my anxiety/stress levels. I believe that, anxiety and stress aside, my BP would be a non-issue. I'm 30, exercise regularly, eat healthy, not overweight, don't smoke, no family history of hypertension....

I have never taken any medications for anxiety or for hypertension, but I may get to the point where I do need to treat hypertension. My average BP reading would fall in the "pre-hypertension" range (130s/80s), but it can be 110s/70s or 150/90. I have gotten to the point where I can almost predict what my BP will be depending on how anxious I'm feeling. The anxiety can come from anything, usually obsessively thinking about something, either work, social event, too much to do, BP itself, doctor vists (my favorite).

So, if my BP is just a response to anxiety, does it make sense to treat the anxiety and not take BP meds?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

An interesting question and one of some interest to me...essentially my BP does precisely the same thing. I believe it is one definition of "labile hypertension."

There are two schools of thought, both reflected on this board. One says no, its not "real hypertension, so treat the anxiety.

The second says, well, you can't eliminate stress...its a part of life, and if your BP rockets up with stress (as mine does) then you are getting spike after spike after spike which is doing damage due to the frequency. Some people have BP that reacts well to stress, others are hyper-active to it. So this school of thought says take meds to keep the spikes lower then they would be. You can already guess the down-side; BP that goes TOO low when you are not stressed.

I share in the frustration about this...it is real tough to not be able to get a straight "take meds" or "don't take meds!"

tamuprof45

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-01-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread