It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

Mastiff4mee HB User
Question Beta Blockers vs Calcium Channel Blockers and weight gain

My doctor prescribed a beta blocker which has really helped drop my blood pressure (which wasn't crazy high just about 140/98) but the best part was it brought my pulse rate to 75-80 consistently. (down from 110's) It has really helped me not feel so anxious.

My problem...I have gained 6 pounds in the past month while on Toprol XL 50mg a day. My doctor doesn't believe me that it is the medicine.

I am searching now on this board for:

[*]A Beta Blocker that won't make me gain weight
[*]A Calcium Blocker that may have the same effects of a Beta without the weight gain

Any suggestions from personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers vs Calcium Channel Blockers and weight gain

I think beta blockers can make people gain weight. I am not sure about the other meds you are on. I know when I started Azor and a water pill I gained almost 20 pounds in less than a year and my doctor and cardio doc both denied the pills made me gain.

I got it off, but then again I know people on the same meds as I was on and didn't gain an ounce.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

Mastiff4mee HB User

Sounds familiar...my doctor (who I really like) swears I'm nuts. I strongly disagree. Hoping someone has a suggestion on a drug that maybe hasn't caused weight gain and I can try another one.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've been taking the Beta Blocker Coreg for over a year. It has really helped me, and it definitely hasn't caused any weight increase. Coreg has been shown to be less likely to cause weight gain, than other Beta Blockers, especially in patients with Diabetes.

In my case, as I've increased my Coreg (Caredilol) dosage, I've experienced a slight weight loss, even though I have significantly increased the size of my meals. Of course...... everyone is different and may react differently to the same medication.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-29-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
(male)

jamescott HB User

I was on a beta blocker for PVCs and high blood pressure. Unfortunately, I experienced some strange side effects so my doctor switched to a calcium channel blocker. I haven't noticed any weight gain for either of the medications. I will state that the calcium blocker has done a far better job of controlling my PVCs. The blood pressure benefit has been about the same.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
(female)

Mastiff4mee HB User

jamescott do you mind if I ask you what calcium channel blocker you were put on?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
(female)

glorybe1 HB User

I believe that beta blockers cause you to gain some weight due to the fact that it lowers your metabolism.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
(male)

jamescott HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff4mee View Post
jamescott do you mind if I ask you what calcium channel blocker you were put on?
Diltiazem. I know there are other types but not sure what the differences are. Again, mine is designed to lower BP and control PVCs. I have yet to experience any sides effects. I'm on a fairly low dose but I have a feeling I'm going to have to increase it a bit. Not sure it's lowering my BP as much as it should. I'm averaging 130/80 since I started. However, my PVCs are much better than on the beta blocker.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
(female)

Tranquil961 HB User
Question Re: Beta Blockers vs Calcium Channel Blockers and weight gain

I would like to know the very same thing!!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
(female)

Tranquil961 HB User

Hi Jamescott,
I was prescribed Diltiazem and needed to increase (which did not help lower BP - but instead produced extreme constipation). I would be thrilled to have constant BP at 130/80. Hope you do well.

Closed Thread