It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

Mastiff4mee HB User
Do Calcium Channel Blockers lower pulse rate?

Do CCB have an effect on pulse rate like Beta Blockers? I know that ace inhibitors do not effect the pulse rate. I need a high blood pressure med that will both control my blood pressure and heart rate.

Any specific recommendation?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
(male)

DW123 HB User
Re: Do Calcium Channel Blockers lower pulse rate?

I have used Norvasc which is a calcium channel blocker for 14 years it has never lowered my pulse rate, but it has been very effective at helping me to control my bp. I also use a beta blocker and ace inhibitor. The only drug that I know of to control the heart rate is a beta blocker.

Last edited by DW123; 04-28-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

It depends.

Calcium channel blockers block the entry of calcium into the heart muscle cells. This decreases the force of contraction of the heart and also its rate of contraction. So, basically, CCBs slow the rate at which the heart beats. Some CCBs -like Amlodipine- have very little effect on the heart rate and contraction, making them safe to use for people with HF or slow heart rhythm. Others, like verapamil or diltiazem, have the strongest effect on both the heart rate and its contraction. This makes them suitable for use in people whose hearts beat too fast.

FG

Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

mtngal HB User

Calcium channel blockers do slow the heart rate but norvasc seems to be the only one that doesn't do that. I am on 40mgs of micardis but may have to take norvasc at night because the micardis does not seem to be strong enough to lower the bp enough on a regular basis. I sometimes get a good reading and sometimes I don't so I may go on norvasc soon in the evening.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

mtngal HB User

I am glad to hear that norvasc works for you. I get nervous when I hear people complain about side effects from it because I may have to add it to my micardis regimine as my bp still gets a little high in the morning at first. I think the doctor mentioned that if my bp is not lower, then he would start me on norvasc. Do you eat grapefruit? I heard that you cannot eat grapefruit on a calcium channel blocker but that norvasc, you could wait four hours and eat one half, and it would be OK. Did your doctor tell you to stay off grapefruit or the juice?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

mtngal HB User

Verapamil may be good for you. It slows the pulse rate and lowers blood pressure. I have a slower heart rate so I don't do well with anything that slows heart rates. You could, though, so ask your doc what he thinks. Sometimes a combination of two drugs at a lower dose works well, however, many of my friends take one drug that does both.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
(male)

DW123 HB User

My Doctor never told me not to eat grapefruit, but I have read that that there is no interaction between Norvasc, grapefruit or grapefruit juice. I think I will error on the side of caution and not consume any.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've been on Norvasc for years and it hasn't lowered my pulse rate. In fact, even when my BP is great, my pulse averages in the 90 somethings-100 somethings resting.

Can't respond on the grapefruit thing because I have to avoid citrus due to reflux issues.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

I thought I responded to this thread? lol.

Calcium Channel Blockers aren't suppose to lower pulse rate, their mechanism and the way their work doesn't even raise or lower your bp. But in a way, everyone is different and no ones how they would respond to meds.

bottom line is that its not suppose, and probably won't, but may affect it indirectly, but not enough to impact it enough for someone to notice

Closed Thread