It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
(female)

flygirl129 HB User
Blood pressure 150/120

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to control my blood pressure by losing weight? My doctor gave me a prescription for medicine, but I really don't want to take it because I've heard that once you start you have to be on it for the rest of your life. I'm female, 5'2

Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Blood pressure 150/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl129 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to control my blood pressure by losing weight?
Since most cases of High Blood Pressure are caused by difficulties with our metabolism, IMHO, then anything that we can do to improve our metabolism, will result in healthier blood pressure levels. Both healthier diet and exercise improves metabolism, which provides healthier levels of blood pressure.

Quote:
My doctor gave me a prescription for medicine, but I really don't want to take it because I've heard that once you start you have to be on it for the rest of your life. I'm female, 5'2
You only would have to take a medication, if it is medically necessary. If you have unhealthy blood pressure and cannot control it through diet, exercise and lifestyle changes, then you would probably WANT to take a medication that would give you healthier blood pressure levels, right?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

with a diastolic of 120, I think you would be wise to take medication. That is if you want to avoid a stroke

Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would take it till you lose the approrpriate amount of weight. Then if oyu bp is under control, you could ask you doctor about trying it with no meds or reduced meds to see if the diet has worked. but yes, with the 120 reading, you are headed for a stroke any day now.

Closed Thread