It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

reyrey71 HB User
Tigtness and BP ?

I was just diagnoised last week with high blood pressure. I was given a medication to start in hopes to lower it. Lisinopril 10mg 1x daily. I had alot of blood work done as well that day. The nurse called back Mon to say I also have high cholosterol and I am pre diabetes. They gave me another medication for cholosterol - Tricor. As far as diabetes is concerned they are going to wait another month to do blood work.

Thing that bothers me and I orginally went to doc for was this tightness I have in my left arm - that sometimes goes into my legs and feet. It's a tightness with a burning sensation as well as painful sometimes. Doc said maybe getting the blood pressure down will make that go away. I know it's been less than week but that tightness hasnt gone away. I do however feel a difference in it say I take reg aspirin. Tightness goes away. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of tightness?

Mean time I am trying all I can to get everything under control. I am trying to eat more healthy..cutting out all sodiums as well as cholestol. I would love to quit smoking as my body really telling me I need to. I dont know if I can do that cold turkey. Any suggestions of any goos prescibed medication that helps ya quit.

Thx Rey

Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: Tigtness and BP ?

Hi Rey, If you really want to quit smoking, you can. I smoked for almost five decades and managed to quit on my third try. The first time I quit, I did it because my friends wanted me to. I quit for one month. The second time I quit I did so for my late husband. This lasted for six month then I lit up again. Then, fourteen years ago, I decided to quit for myself. I picked up some nicotine chewing gum and when I wanted a cigarette, I chewed a nicotine gum. It tasted just awful, BUT, it eased the urge to smoke. I was able to gradually cut the little square piece of gum into half/quarter and so on until weaned off and didn't have the physical addiction. To this day I keep a piece of sugarless gum in my mouth, a small piece, just big enough to have something in my mouth.

The desire to light up lasted about three years, not constantly but every once in a while, I'd think about it. That passed. I never think about it anymore.

I was dx'd with hypertension and slightly elevated cholesterol just before I quit smoking. Doctor put me on Lisinopril and Lovastatin. I've been on it ever since and have good bp readings.

I eat healthy, no red meat and take supplements. I eat mostly plant based food - veggies, fruit, beans, whole wheat, brown rice, etc. I am very careful of carbohydrates. I try and stay completely away from anything white, ie, sugar, white bread, pasta, etc. I do enjoy whole wheat pasta now and then.

You can quit smoking if you really want to. I know people who would 'like' to quit but there is a difference in 'liking' and wanting. Think about your health, how much better it would be if you were to quit.

I wish you the very best. Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
(male)

marantz1935 HB User
Re: Tigtness and BP ?

Gave up the coffin nails over 16 years ago. It took me three tries to do it. I smoked for around 8 years or so.

As you have been diagnosed with hypertension and increased cholesterol, I would strongly advise quitting smoking. It will be difficult, but it can be done. You will feel the benefits, I promise.

Closed Thread