It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Hypertension and PVCs...connection?

Can someone explain to me the mechanism by which hypertension causes "skipped beats" in the heart or PVCs/PACs?

I have been having a LOT of these lately and I think/hope its just a lot of stress lately. I haven't had my BP checked in awhile for severe anxiety reasons, and I am worried there may be an issue there, though I have been fanatical about DASH and exercise since I last had it checked. A year ago it was generally averaging 118-126/70-75 with occasional spikes into the 140s, and twice into the 150s (never the diastolic though).

I guess my secondary question in addition to why hypertension causes PVCs is how HIGH does BP have to go to do this?

Really trying to not go into another downward spiral of BP anxiety...now starting to worry about cardiomyopathy...sigh.

tamuprof45

Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User
Re: Hypertension and PVCs...connection?

I also can get in the "downward spiral" of BP anxiety. Sucks. Honestly, your numbers are great, though. Occasional systolic spikes into 140s and even 150, with diastolic remaining constant at around 80, is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Anyway, don't know the connection between PVCs and hypertension, sorry. I get PVC (didn't know until recently that's what it was) maybe once a month. Used to scare me pretty good because it felt like my heart might stop beating, but I've learned it's perfectly normal and not a concern because my heart is just fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

I am getting anywhere from 5-10 per hour...and those are the ones I actually notice...really unsettling...each one comes accompanied by this weird "rush" feeling...adrenalin maybe? I assume if adrenalin is involved then BP is being affected as well...sigh. Perhaps time to at least think about beta blockers...

tamuprof45

Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Hi Tamu,

Get them all the time. Sometimes they come in waves, and then I don't notice any for a while. A lot of things can effect them; stress, caffeine, food, etc. Some people have them as part of their daily lives. They tend to be genetic. The "rush" feeling you get is likely due to the very brief lack of a full pump, followed by a full one.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I've absolutely found a correlation between PVC's and stress. I had mine come on "out of the blue" in January after a really bad stomach bug. This also happened to be the same time a new semester started at school. I contributed the PVC's to the bug though. ended up having an Echo, EKG & stress test. All fine. A few months later, they "disappeared". Ha - BACK AGAIN, and guess what's going on this week? Finals!! ) I also had a really bad night of them a while back while we were under a tornado warning and the sirens kept going off.

So, I think if there is a correlation between HBP & PVC's, it's stress! Stress will give me both. It's just a matter of keeping a clear enough perspective to not travel down that slippery path to obsession.

Closed Thread