It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
(male)

dadirac HB User
Atenolol, Losartan and Catapres

Was taking atenolol 100 and lifezar 50 (losartan) for the past 2 years already together with aspirin 75. My doctor just advised me to also take catapres 7.5 (clonidine). My question is, for anybody taking the same medicines as me, what side effects should I expect from taking the combined medicines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Atenolol, Losartan and Catapres

What has prompted the addition of another antihypertensive drug to your regimen after more than two years of good blood pressure control? Has your blood pressure started to rise?

Finding another person on the same drug combination as yours that visits these boards might be difficult. Clonidine, as an antihypertensive agent, is not used as frequently as the others. Clonidine is one of few drugs with low molecular weight, and, as such, crossess the blood-brain barrier. The result is a reduced sympathetic outflow from CNS, decreased peripheral resistance, renal vascular resistance, heart rate and blood pressure. Some people have tolerance for its antihypertensive effect, so it may not always reduce the blood pressure.

In general, the likelihood and severity of adverse reactions to any multidrug therapy increases with the number of drugs taken. In most clinical trials the participants take no more than two or three drugs. So, a combination of several drugs has likely never been tested for safety or effectiveness. This means that the exact adverse reactions to a given drug combination in the short and long-term use cannot be anticipated. There are many factors that effect our response to drugs - salt sensitivity, plasma renin activity, SNS activity, co-existing diseases, age, race, physical characteristics, metabolism, activity level and lifestyle to name a few.

One thing to watch for with Clonidine is a sudden increase in blood pressure if you miss a couple of doses or stop taking it abruptly. It should be discontinued only under your doctor's supervision. Another thing to keep an eye on are the potential additive effects -such as bradycardia or an AV block-when used with other drugs that effect the sinus node function or the AV conduction, such as beta blockers (which you take), calcium channel blockers and digitalis. In addition to the ones mentioned, cardio, CNS and other adverse effects are also possible. Do your research. I am sure your doctor will monitor your progress and any adverse effects. Good luck with your blood pressure control.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
(male)

dadirac HB User

Thanks for the information.

With regards to my blood pressure, despite taking atenolol 100 and lifezar 50 (losartan) for the past two years, my pressure is still always in the region of 140/90 which is the reason why my new doctor added clonidine (catapres).

I will be seeing my doctor again this coming Monday. I would try to discuss the pros and cons of this new medicine. With the information you have provided me, what worries me most is the possibility that I might run out of medicines because I am working in the middle of the desert,very far from any town or city.

Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've taken clonidine & Cozarr (Losartan.) Clonidine acts fast so it is good in ER situations.

Clonidine Cons:

Affects the brain. Don't make any important decisions or drive a car in the first 2-3 hrs after taking it.

Makes one sleepy.

Causes rebound hypertension (when one's b/p increases to levels above what they were before taking the drug.) ER Docs say Clonidine is the most dangerous regarding withdrawal problems. Needless to say it is difficult to get off of.

Easy to develop a tolerance to Clonidine so that the patient has to take increasing higher doses until he or she finally has to switch to another med for b/p control.

Can interact with one's other meds & actually increase one's b/p.
Think that is what happened to me.

Interferes with sleep-my sleep study Doc said that it was causing my frequent awakings. This has been documented.

I finally got my b/p under control with Labetalol & HCTZ which I was taking while on Clonidine. Sometimes less is more.

Lebatalol is a alpha/beta blocker. It acts relatively fast & is less irritating to the stomach. It is not for someone who drinks a lot of alcohol in fact I wouldn't drink any because it could be hard on the liver. You need lab check ups every 6 months.

Any questions? Fam

Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
(male)

dadirac HB User

To: Famnd

I had been taking clonidine 75mcg for 15 days already, and starting on the 16th day which is today I would be taking only haft of my daily dose. Is the 15 days on daily dose of 75mcg and let's say a week of 35.5mcg long enough to cause a dangerous rebound if I stopped after 3 weeks of the therapy that I am currently undergoing?

Thanks!!!

Closed Thread