It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

alphabetsoup HB User
Exercise and blood pressure

Okay...here is the deal...

I was exercising (spordically) until early February when, as I was gently walking on the treadmill my heartrate jumped up to 160...something that until that moment only happened when I was REALLLLY pushing hard. It took the better part of 2 hours for it to come down below 100 again at rest. Since that day I have been TOTALLY freaked out about exercising.

My GP says to ignore it and not worry that it is just anxiety...I'm sorry, but I was NOT stressed when I was doing my workout that day! I was listening to Disney tunes and watching stupid TV on the monitor, walking at UNDER .5mph!!!

Anyway, these days I am sooooo puffed all of the time. My doctor just says 'exercise more'. Well DUH...that is helpful! My issue is this...I'm now scared to exercise, afraid that my heartrate or blood pressure will go too high.

Help or advice would be welcome. My cardiologist pretty much doesn't want to see me after my ER trip in October which was "just another anxiety attack...your heart is fine".

Part of the month, my BP and pulse are nice and low...almost too low for me (I get dizzy lots). The rest of the month my BP and pulse are up(ish) despite my BP meds (but not dangerously so...I registered 149/100 earlier tonight, but that was taken shortly after coming up to our apartment up four flights of stairs, with a full belly from dinner....it has since come down to the 120s/70s).

I know I need to exercise...but I'm so scared. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Exercise and blood pressure

Quote:
I was exercising (spordically) until early February when, as I was gently walking on the treadmill my heartrate jumped up to 160...something that until that moment only happened when I was REALLLLY pushing hard. It took the better part of 2 hours for it to come down below 100 again at rest. Since that day I have been TOTALLY freaked out about exercising.
What medications do you take? Do you have a heart condition, such as atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter? Both can sometimes result in fast heart rate during exercise, unless they are well controlled with medication. You mentioned that, according to your cardiologist, your heart is fine. If so, why do you need a cardiologist? (They tend to say this to reassure patients.)
Did you try measuring your blood pressure after exercise?

When we exercise, there is an increased demand for oxygen. The heart has to pump more blood to supply the increased skeletal muscle demand.
The nervous system gets the body ready for exercise by increasing heart rate, blood pressure and breathing, and by releasing extra glucose to supply energy. Once the exercise begins, the heart rate raises rapidly, in part due to the release of epinephrine and norepinephrine.
Some of the factors that can effect heart rate during exercise are medications, catecholamines, rise in body temperature (which increases during exercise), illness, type of exercise and body position.

Quote:
Anyway, these days I am sooooo puffed all of the time. My doctor just says 'exercise more'. Well DUH...that is helpful! My issue is this...I'm now scared to exercise, afraid that my heartrate or blood pressure will go too high.
I understand how you feel. But, it is natural for the blood pressure and heart rate to increase during exercise. Do you measure your blood pressure and heart rate right before exercise, right after, and about half an hour later?
Since the excessive heart rate only happened once, is it possible you were having a bad day, reacted to medication, or weren't feeling well?
I think walking is one of the safest exercises to do, regardless of the health issues that might be present.

Quote:
Part of the month, my BP and pulse are nice and low...almost too low for me (I get dizzy lots). The rest of the month my BP and pulse are up(ish) despite my BP meds
This is rather strange. Do you mean both your blood pressure and pulse become elevated for days or weeks at a time? What do you think triggers these changes, hormones, diet, or lifestyle, non-compliance (if you take medication)?

I don't think this will help much. Hopefully, you'll get responses from posters with more experience in exercise related issues.

flowergirl

Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Excercising leads to a decease in blood pressure, talk to your doctor about creating a excercise program designed for what you can handly

and .5 miles / hour, sounds ideal for a beginner

good luck, keep at it, dont give up

the more you excercise the better you feel, what you describing is perfectly normal for someone who hasnt excercised in a long time, remember keep at it

Last edited by stophypertensio; 05-27-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

alphabetsoup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
This is rather strange. Do you mean both your blood pressure and pulse become elevated for days or weeks at a time? What do you think triggers these changes, hormones, diet, or lifestyle, non-compliance (if you take medication)?

I don't think this will help much. Hopefully, you'll get responses from posters with more experience in exercise related issues.
Yeah...it is strange. I think I have a thyroid problem, but the doctor says my levels are 'normal'. Baloney!! The 'normal' levels were decided after studying young MEN in the 1950s!! Not only that, but those with thyroid problems can have wild fluctuations in just a week.

Anyhoo...I'll try to stick it out.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

jenngreenam HB User

My advice would be to get a second opinion. Go see another totally different doctor and ask for his opinion. Sometimes doctors get complacent or think patients are babies and know nothing. The truth is no one knows more about your body than yourself. After you get the second opinion you can start exercising slowly, always under the supervision of your doctor.

Closed Thread