It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

Mastiff4mee HB User
Coreg and Heart rate still fast and BP still high!

I was just recently prescribed Coreg CR 10mg for HBP and rapid heart rate. After a week on the meds my heart rate was still at 114 at resting on occasion and my blood pressure even seems to have gone up. The doc told me to increase to 20mg and it is doing nothing. Does this medicine take a while to kick in? Been 4 days on this 20 mg dosing. I'm about ready to go back to Toprol. Has this happened to anyone? I know this medicine is really great for heart failure patients, which I am not.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
(male)

DW123 HB User
Re: Coreg and Heart rate still fast and BP still high!

I don't know anything about this medication, but I believe you should have seen some results by now and your heart rate is way too high. I know that some medications take up to 2 weeks or more to fully kick in. I am on Toprol now and it has effectively lowered my heart rate along with 2 other medications. what is your average blood pressure now?

Last edited by DW123; 05-26-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

Mastiff4mee HB User

Thank you for your reply. My average blood pressure is 140's/90 still so I think I'm going to have to head back to Toprol XL which worked very well for my heart rate but I did add 6 pounds during the 5 weeks I was on it....hated that....and thought switching might fix that problem.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
(male)

DW123 HB User

Sometimes it is best to stick with something that works and is proven. One of my medications causes my feet to swell sometimes, I have been using it for 14 years I have just learned to live with it since it effectively helps keep my bp under control.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

exercising lowers your pulse rate too, try it

and the thing with meds is that it'll work for one person but wouldnt work as well for another person, basically trial and error

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff4mee View Post
I was just recently prescribed Coreg CR 10mg for HBP and rapid heart rate.
The regular Coreg (Carvedilol) can be prescribed for once-per-day dosing, and is a lot cheaper than the new, non-generic stuff. I wonder why doctors prescribe the much more expensive Coreg CR when the old, generic Carvedilol could do just as good?!

Quote:
After a week on the meds my heart rate was still at 114 at resting on occasion and my blood pressure even seems to have gone up. The doc told me to increase to 20mg and it is doing nothing. Does this medicine take a while to kick in? Been 4 days on this 20 mg dosing.
When I first started taking Coreg, March 8, 2008, it increased my Blood Pressure, so I decided not to take Coreg, and stopped taking it for two weeks and my blood pressure, almost immediately, went back to normal. Then, I reconsidered, and started taking it again, at double the dose. Once again the Coreg increased my blood pressure.

It took 10 days before Coreg changed from increasing my blood pressure to lowering my blood pressure back to near where it was before I started taking it. For the first 10 days, my average blood pressure was 129/73 based on 59 readings. For the next 3 days, 124/73 based on 29 readings. I also felt better than I did before I started taking Coreg, including a significant improvement in my energy levels.

From what I've read, it takes 7-14 days to achieve maximum Coreg plasma levels, so it's reasonable that I would benefit from the Coreg after 10 days.

The Coreg also slowed my heart rate, but I don't keep track of my heart rate or rhythm, so I have no specifics. My heart rate and rhythm are normally erratic, but as long as my heart doesn't beat fast, or too noticeable, or pounding, or stressed out, I ignore it. It's significantly better than it used to be, and my heart disease has improved significantly, so my heart rate/rhythm is no longer a problem, and an erratic heart beat and rhythm is just a way of life for someone like me with Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-27-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff4mee View Post
I was just recently prescribed Coreg CR 10mg for HBP and rapid heart rate. After a week on the meds my heart rate was still at 114 at resting on occasion and my blood pressure even seems to have gone up. The doc told me to increase to 20mg and it is doing nothing. Does this medicine take a while to kick in? Been 4 days on this 20 mg dosing. I'm about ready to go back to Toprol. Has this happened to anyone? I know this medicine is really great for heart failure patients, which I am not.
Hi, I realzie this is a very old post and not sure if you are around anymore but am wondering if you got the coreg to work for you and if not did you just go back to toprol? I took Metoprolol for 3 years and gained 30 pounds and developed prediabetes from the weight gain. am now starting on Coreg ever so slow, like half of a 3/125 dose and of course it hasnt done anything yet but i feel somewhat calmer dispite no change in blood pressure and my pulse and my pulse was fine anyways but it didnt lower it but i do feel some what calmer, odd.

Closed Thread