It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
It is important to maintain very healthy levels of blood pressure, at any age.

High blood pressure is high blood pressure is high blood pressure. If anything, the older one gets, the more important it is to maintain a healthy blood pressure.

I am closing in on age 70. I've taken my blood pressure 27,429 times since 1998.

That amounts to about seven times per day, for over 10 years. By carefully monitoring my blood pressure at home, and tracking causes and effects, I've been able to lower my blood pressure from an average of 152/97 in 1998 to currently an average of 122/73. My blood pressure average for all of 2008 was 122/72 and my pulse rate averages around 65.

In other words, as I've aged, I've been able to get my blood pressure down to levels that would be healthy for a teenager, and, as a result, my health has significantly improved.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: It is important to maintain very healthy levels of blood pressure, at any age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
Hi Machaon,

I respect your knowledge and opinion. But the reality is that isolated sytolic hypertension is the norm for most humans as they age.
I think that "reality" is a fraud perpetrated by the medical industry because they aren't able to provide healthy blood pressure levels for their patients, so they say that it can't be fixed, that it is normal. Well...... I disagree!

Quote:
If a 20 year old has 150/90+ readings, the odds are by the time he is 50 he has done some damage to something in his system.
I agree, but in many cases, the health problems that are caused by decades of high blood pressure can be reversed in many cases, or, at least significantly improved through diet and avoiding NeuroHormonal and Immune System over-stimulators.

Quote:
If one has good readings until he reaches age 60, and then only has mild hypertension after this (especially isolated systolic) this is a different matter entirely. Granted, it's great to keep it low is you can, But it's a trickier matter.
I agree that it is a tricky matter. If achieving permanent, stable, healthy levels of blood pressure was easy, then more people would do it. It took me over ten years, and over 27,000 blood pressure readings, and hundreds of hours of research and analysis to achieve permanently healthy levels of blood pressure, 24 hours per day. As a result, I've experienced significant improvements in my Heart Failure and other health problems.

Someone else, with medical education or training, or better understanding of medicine could probably do it a lot faster than me.

Quote:
Take my mother as an example. She had unmedicated 180+/95+ for years.
How many bp readings was that based on? Did she monitor her own bp at home over the years?

Quote:
She was prescribed a diuretic and in 3 days was in the hospital with a low blood sodium. While there and well medicated for BP (110/70) fell and busted her face and nose causing her to have a month of rehab in a facility. But hey, her pressure was great.....
Blood Pressure side effects can be nasty. I was once on almost ten medications for my Heart Failure, AFib, Asthma, Sinusitis and High Blood Pressure, and really suffered from the wrong combinations, etc.

Quote:
She now takes Norvasc, 2.5 mg. a day and gets an average of 150/80. She is a little high on the systolic end, but no falls and broken noses or worse. In some respects, it's the lesser of two evils.

Regards, Brenden.
There are always exceptions to the rule. Some can drink and eat and smoke and abuse their systems for a century without paying a price. But, IMHO, in most cases, when the gauge of Blood Pressure shows high, it is caused by a metabolic imbalance. So...... young or old, improving the metabolic imbalance will lower the blood pressure "gauge" and improve the health.

Regards.........!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-27-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: It is important to maintain very healthy levels of blood pressure, at any age.

You have done a great job, 99.9% of people can't do that. I hope I can be one of the 0.01% but so far I'm not, but my blood pressure is under control (thank god).
Good luck my friend,
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 05-27-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
You have done a great job, 99.9% of people can't do that.
Hi Mike!

I think that 99.9% of the people can get their blood pressure down to healthy levels, all the time, and also can greatly improve their own health problems, in many cases, with minimal medication.

The key is through the close monitoring and analysis of one's blood pressure. To me, blood pressure is a gauge reflecting either a metabolic imbalance, or a physical obstruction. In most cases, IMHO, the cause of high blood pressure is a metabolic imbalance caused by NeuroHormonal/Immune System over-stimulators, and/or as a result of our diets.

The metabolic imbalance results in all kinds of nasty health problems, such as High Blood Pressure, Fibro, CFS, Heart Failure and other heart problems, Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, etc.

In order to find out what causes the blood pressure "gauge" to read high, one has to closely track their blood pressure, like I did. I took my blood pressure an average of seven times a day, for over 10 years. I am still finding new "triggers" that cause over-stimulation of my NeuroHormonal System and Immune System. Each time I find and eliminate (if possible) a "trigger", my blood pressure gauge drops and, as with my latest eliminated "trigger", it forces me to reduce or eliminate a blood pressure medication.

Anyone can do it.

Quote:
I hope I can be one of the 0.01% but so far I'm not, but my blood pressure is under control (thank god).
Good luck my friend,
Michael
Congratulations on getting your blood pressure under control. That was a long hard journey for you, especially since your dietary decisions are limited.

Best of luck to you, Michael.

Take care!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-27-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Thanks dear, best of luck to you too . Yes my main problem is food, it's very expensive and very poor in quality at the same time. but ditiazem is working good for me, the current problem is that when I started doubling my vitamins and supplements my systolic got 10 more points higher. I will see what I can do about that
take care and good luck
Michael

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-27-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: please post your questions to all members

Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
Thanks dear, best of luck to you too . Yes my main problem is food, it's very expensive and very poor in quality at the same time.
A good, healthy diet is essential to good health, and healthy blood pressure levels, at any age. I am not familiar with your neck of the woods. Here there are roadside farmer's stands, with all kinds of low cost vegetables and fruits. We also have higher cost food markets, like Whole Foods, my personal favorite, where quality, healthy foods are in abundance. Is it that farmer's stands are too far away from your home, or is it that you don't have them there?

Quote:
... the current problem is that when I started doubling my vitamins and supplements my systolic got 10 more points higher. I will see what I can do about that
take care and good luck
Michael
Any vitamin or mineral, in excess, can be more harmful to one's health, than helpful, especially as one ages, or has to take medications. The body's own chemicals (hormones,cytokines), in excess is what causes most cases of high blood pressure, worsening heart disease, organ failure, Fibro, CFS and many other health problems.

It's just like medicine. In excess, beneficial meds can be deadly. So....... be careful with increasing supplements too much. "More" is not necessarily better.

Take care...............

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-28-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi again,

The vegetables here, as well as the fruit, are not healthy at all. The farmers use 10 times pestisides as it's permited, they spray some chemical compounds so that the Tomatoes will turn to the red color from the green color in 1 night. The water is not drinkable, but we do drink it otherwise we die.
Of course there is organic food but you would need a budget for that. Organic food would cost a 4 members' family something like 2,000$, and most familes here wouldn't make 20% of that monthly.

My blood pressure is 124/78 HR is 78, so I think it's not bad. But I can't figure out what happened !!! it was always 115/70 and even less. I don't believe that the vimtains did that in few days, I only took Vitamin C to the extreme (5 grams daily) but for few days
Thanks for help

Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Hi Machaon,

Without getting into all the intricate details, my understanding is that isolated systolic hypertension that sets in gradually with age, is a result of stiffening of the arteries and veins. I am not sure that this effect on the veins is a result of metabolic changes. My main point was, heavily medicating someone in their 70s or 80s to achieve "optimal" BP readings is ridiculous IMO. For millennia, humans have (when they reach adulthood, factoring out chilhood problems) lived an average of 70 or 80 years, even observed by the writer of the Book of Psalms. How many more years, and what quality of life are we adding to an 82 year old woman who has 170/85 readings unmedicated, but has 140/65 medicated, and has the added side effects of dizziness and sleepiness? What's the point?

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi Machaon,

Without getting into all the intricate details, my understanding is that isolated systolic hypertension that sets in gradually with age, is a result of stiffening of the arteries and veins. I am not sure that this effect on the veins is a result of metabolic changes.
Hardening of the arteries, in most cases, is a direct result of fatty deposits within the walls of the arteries, which harden, and can result in higher blood pressure. Those who adhere to a healthy diet can live through their elderly years without getting "hardening of the arteries", IMHO. In other words, "hardening of the arteries" is not normally a natural process. It is a metabolic process.

Quote:
My main point was, heavily medicating someone in their 70s or 80s to achieve "optimal" BP readings is ridiculous IMO.
I agree. But...... people have to make their own choice, live a healthy lifestyle, or suffer the consequences, especially in their later years, like I did. I've endured Heart Failure for over 20 years. It has not been fun. It has basically consumed my life and that of my wonderful wife of 44 years. (she should get a medal for putting up with me! )

Quote:
For millennia, humans have (when they reach adulthood, factoring out chilhood problems) lived an average of 70 or 80 years, even observed by the writer of the Book of Psalms.
In the early 1900s, the average life expectancy, in the US, was about 50 years. Now it's around 76 years. Sure there are exceptions, like those who can drink, eat poorly and smoke even into their 100s, but for the average elderly person, there are significant benefits in having lived a healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
How many more years, and what quality of life are we adding to an 82 year old woman who has 170/85 readings unmedicated, but has 140/65 medicated, and has the added side effects of dizziness and sleepiness? What's the point?

Regards, Brenden.
We all have decisions to make concerning our health. We have to weigh the negatives, the positives and the risks. Even if someone lives a healthy lifestyle, it doesn't guarantee healthy senior years, or, as discussed earlier, even if someone lives an unhealthy lifestyle, it doesn't guarantee unhealthy senior years. But, on average, the better we treat our bodies during our lives, the great the benefit as we grow older.

My main point, of course, was that the elderly, in most cases, can and should have the same healthy blood pressure levels as those much younger. It is not a normal part of aging to have higher blood pressure when elderly.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-28-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Hi Machaon,

I don't know that I really disagree with you all that much. But one thing, and it's just a pet peeve of mine as I hear this myth bandied about all the time. People were not dropping dead at 50 at much more frequency a hundred years ago than they are now. Average life expectancy was shortened due to childhood disease and a lack of antibiotics. If a person made it to a majority age a hundred or more years ago, they had a statistically significant chance of living to 70 or 80. Walk through an old cemetary and look at the birth and death dates, and you will see people living long lives, and then you will see many that died in childhood or were killed young do to a lack antibiotics and child labor laws, etc.

The "average life expcetancy" stuff is just that. You put 10 married couples in a room, and you make two of the people in the room Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney, and the average number of marriages is 5, despite the fact that everyone else in the room has only been married once. If you read books written a hundred or more years ago you will also read references to people being "so young at death" when they would die in their late forties. If 50 was the average a person expected to see, you wouldn't read about how "tragic" it was that one "died so young" when they were 49.

It's all academic anyway.....

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi Machaon,

I don't know that I really disagree with you all that much. But one thing, and it's just a pet peeve of mine as I hear this myth bandied about all the time. People were not dropping dead at 50 at much more frequency a hundred years ago than they are now. Average life expectancy was shortened due to childhood disease and a lack of antibiotics.
Much less than 100 years ago, people were dropping dead of heart disease at a much higher rate than today. The medical breakthroughs in Calcium Channel Blockers, Beta Blockers and Ace Inhibitors have not only extended the lives of those with heart disease, but have improved their quality of life. This especially applies to the elderly. In fact, less than 100 years ago, the rate of death from Asthma was much more than today.

Quote:
If a person made it to a majority age a hundred or more years ago, they had a statistically significant chance of living to 70 or 80. Walk through an old cemetary and look at the birth and death dates, and you will see people living long lives, and then you will see many that died in childhood or were killed young do to a lack antibiotics and child labor laws, etc.
I've endured Heart Failure, AFib and Immune Dysfunction for over 20 years. The last place I want to frequent is a cemetery. They might want to keep me there!!

Quote:
The "average life expcetancy" stuff is just that. You put 10 married couples in a room, and you make two of the people in the room Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney, and the average number of marriages is 5, despite the fact that everyone else in the room has only been married once. If you read books written a hundred or more years ago you will also read references to people being "so young at death" when they would die in their late forties. If 50 was the average a person expected to see, you wouldn't read about how "tragic" it was that one "died so young" when they were 49.

It's all academic anyway.....

Regards, Brenden.
The fact is that the rate of death for heart disease is much lower today than it was 50 years ago, due to better diets and especially better medication. The medical industry targeted the NeuroHormonal System. The number one cause of death and debility isn't the high blood pressure, or the heart failure, or the heart disease, it is the "poisons" released into our bodies by over-active NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems. These "new" classes of drug calm the over-active NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems, lessening the damage and prolonging life and the quality of life.

When someone suffering from heart disease, fibro, cfs, etc., can't calm their NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems, then their diseases and symptoms get progressively worse.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-29-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Hi Machaon,

Again, it's academic, but I wasn't talking about the rate of death from heart disease. I was referencing average life expectancy, which you had said was "50 years" a hundred years ago. The stat is misleading. Average life expectancy is based on ALL deaths from ALL causes. For an example, take the ages of some of the founding fathers:

George Washington 67 (pneumonia, not as likely to kill him these days due to antibiotics); Thomas Jefferson, 83; John Adams, 91; James Madison, 85; Alexander Hamilton, 56, (died in a duel with Aaron Burr). My point is that it is a common myth about 50 being the norm.

Regards, Brenden.

Last edited by Exegesis; 05-29-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Closed Thread