It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 69
reyrey71 HB User
blood pressure and aspirin

hi, I saw my neurologist yesterday. he wants me to start a daily aspirin. When i went to pharmacy the pharmacist said I shouldnt take the aspirin because it would lower the effects of the blood pressure medicine. I called the docs ofc back and they said it was ok to take it and i am still apprehensive...I dont know what i should do....

Last edited by reyrey71; 06-19-2009 at 02:57 PM.

 
Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Egypt
Posts: 1,671
cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

my information that aspirin isn't safe, I have read an article that it increases the risk of heart attacks. The article suggests that patients should replace aspirin with fish oil, if they need a blood thinning agent. I don't know why your neurologist wants to put you on aspirin but I'm sure there is a better alternative.
Good luck
Mike

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 69
reyrey71 HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

Ok now I am really apprehensive....The reason my neurologist wants to start me on low dose 81mg (baby aspirin) a day because I am at a high risk of stroke/heart attack. (high blood pressure, high cholesertol, borderline diabetes - that i have to have another test to confirm if I have or not, smoker, weight, and family history of heart problems) Which I have taken steps into lifestyle changes of eating better and excercising daily. Still working on quitting smoking as I am cutting down.

The medicines I am on are lisinopril for the high blood pressure and tricor for the cholesertol.

The reason i was referred to the nerologist was because I am experiencing a tightness/numbness in my left arm/leg. Which sometimes can be very painful. The neuro doc set me up to have a CT scan to see if the numbness i have could have been maybe a mini stroke. If it wasnt stroke related he set me up to have a nerve conduction test to see if there is perhaps a there is a entrapment or if its nerve nerupothey (sp??)

 
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: us
Posts: 1,693
famnd HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

The pharmacist is correct but on the other hand you sound like you need to take aspirin to prevent a stroke or heart attack. I have to take 2 whole regular aspirins daily. A baby aspirin shouldn't interfere too much with your b/p med. You might have to take more of the b/p med to compensate with the b/p med. Fam

 
Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
flowergirl2day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,176
flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

Quote:
The reason my neurologist wants to start me on low dose 81mg (baby aspirin) a day because I am at a high risk of stroke/heart attack. (high blood pressure, high cholesertol, borderline diabetes - that i have to have another test to confirm if I have or not, smoker, weight, and family history of heart problems) Which I have taken steps into lifestyle changes of eating better and excercising daily. Still working on quitting smoking as I am cutting down.
High blood pressure is an important risk factor for heart attacks and strokes. We have to do what we can to reduce our risk of cardiovascular events. You have already started reducing your risks by making changes to your lifestyle.

Research is still being done about aspirin's role in stroke and heart attack prevention. Who should or should not take this drug remains somewhat controversial. There is a concern that some people might be aspirin resistant, thus receiving no protection from their daily aspirin. Like other drugs, aspirin has side effects. Because it decreases blood clotting by altering platelets, there is an increased risk of bleeding. It also causes GI bleeding, and worsens a bleeding stroke caused by ruptured blood vessels.

The risks and benefits of taking aspirin vary for each person. Your doctor has determined that you would benefit from daily aspirin therapy. You should listen to him. The American Diabetes Association recommends a small daily aspirin dose for diabetics with an increased CVD risk, as well as diabetics with existing cardiovascular disease. Aspirin is not for people at low risk of adverse cardiovascular events.

Good luck with your tests!

flowergirl

 
Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 289
stophypertensio HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

Do you exercise and watch what you eat?

 
Old 06-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 69
reyrey71 HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophypertensio View Post
Do you exercise and watch what you eat?

Since I was diagnosed with the high blood pressure/cholesterol in end of Apr. I started eating better. I cut out all junk food, no soda (drink crystal light instead so i can up my water intake more), adding more fruits and veggies, cut out all red meats and only eat chicken. Cut back on sodiums...using spices instead of salt to give stuff flavor. i try to stay under 1400mg or less per day. Making sure I eat cheerios or some oatmeal everyday to help with the cholesterol too. Also for snacks i eat blueberries (hear they are great for the heart), sugar-free jello, or non-fat yougurt.

Excercising I have been. Each night I walk about 2.5-3miles. Instead of taking car to store I walk for the extra excercise as well. Same with elevator (lol) take stairs. I have lost about 25lbs in past 2 months im very proud to say

Only thing to battle next is quitting smoking....

Last edited by reyrey71; 06-20-2009 at 06:44 PM.

 
Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: us
Posts: 1,693
famnd HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

BTW my Dr. said she doesn't know of any tests to test for aspirin effectiveness. I would hate to think I am taking aspirin for nothing although it does prevent thyroiditis for me. Fam

 
Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 289
stophypertensio HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyrey71 View Post
Since I was diagnosed with the high blood pressure/cholesterol in end of Apr. I started eating better. I cut out all junk food, no soda (drink crystal light instead so i can up my water intake more), adding more fruits and veggies, cut out all red meats and only eat chicken. Cut back on sodiums...using spices instead of salt to give stuff flavor. i try to stay under 1400mg or less per day. Making sure I eat cheerios or some oatmeal everyday to help with the cholesterol too. Also for snacks i eat blueberries (hear they are great for the heart), sugar-free jello, or non-fat yougurt.

Excercising I have been. Each night I walk about 2.5-3miles. Instead of taking car to store I walk for the extra excercise as well. Same with elevator (lol) take stairs. I have lost about 25lbs in past 2 months im very proud to say

Only thing to battle next is quitting smoking....
fantastic! keep up the good work =)

 
Old 06-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
JJ JJ is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
JJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ct.
Posts: 3,704
JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

reyrey71..I agree, your really working hard at doing all the right things. I have heard conflicking reports about aspirin as well, but then again, they seem to change their minds about meds. every other month. Getting so you don't know who, or what to believe.

Keep doing what your doing, and my best wishes.

P.S. I'm working on the STOP smoking thing too...BAD HABIT!

 
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 69
reyrey71 HB User
Re: blood pressure and aspirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
reyrey71..I agree, your really working hard at doing all the right things. I have heard conflicking reports about aspirin as well, but then again, they seem to change their minds about meds. every other month. Getting so you don't know who, or what to believe.

Keep doing what your doing, and my best wishes.

P.S. I'm working on the STOP smoking thing too...BAD HABIT!
Thx guys I am trying really hard to get all this stuff under control. Hearing doctor say I had all these things wrong scared the #$%# out of me. Im only 38 and dont want to die. What scares me I had lost my mom at an early age of 46 due to complications of smoking. Yet I still smoke. I know it makes no sense!!!! It's truly a hard habit to break. The cold turkey method doesnt seem to work for me. I may try and see if I can get on chantix. I heard nothing but good things from that med.

Tomorrow I go in for my ct scan. wish me luck im hoping they dont find that I did have a mini stroke!!!!! Then Fri i have my emg test and more lab tests to see where my cholesertol and glucose is.

Rey

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Lupus and blood pressure spikes when sleeping. Sunsetnan Lupus 121 07-26-2010 07:21 AM
baby aspirin and blood pressure pills redberrie2007 High & Low Blood Pressure 2 10-31-2009 06:19 PM
Blood pressure flutuations during specific times lamal3 High & Low Blood Pressure 14 11-03-2008 08:41 PM
question about aspirin lowering blood pressure sunshine123 High & Low Blood Pressure 6 06-04-2008 08:49 AM
Borderline high blood pressure The Mayor High & Low Blood Pressure 5 05-01-2008 02:07 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Atenolol
Benicar
Clonidine Cozaar
Diovan
  Lisinopril
Lotrel
Norvasc
Potassium
Toprol




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Machaon (55), atengnr (48), JJ (35), soflsun (29), Flutterbye77 (17), flitz (16), flowergirl2day (16), zuzu8 (15), cartner (12), rudiraven (12)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (904), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!