It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Potassium powerhouses

For those looking to add lots of potassium to their diets to fight high BP, I can recommend two biggies: organic blackstrap molasses, and coconut water. The first has between 600-750 mg of potassium per tablespoon, and 11 oz. of Harvest Bay coconut water has 660 mg. Both have less sugar then you might think, and as a bonus, have a good amount of magnesium too. With just these two you are more then 1/4 your daily recomm. of potassium as per the DASH diet.

I know about bananas and raisins, but if anyone else knows of any super-concentrated potassium foods/drinks, please pass them along.

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Potassium powerhouses

I know that it's not safe to take Potassium supplements, unless you are directed by a dr to do this. I'm sure I need extra potassium but don't know how to get it though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Oops- I accidentally deleted my last post saying I was hoping to get moderator approval to post an old link I once posted 4 years ago with potassium content of various foods.
Well, anyway, The Board Administrator would not allow posting of my original link but here is a good resource for foods and their potassium content from the United States Govt. Dept Of Agriculture Database.

Not as easy to read as my original source but it's ultimately the same info.

The last column on the far right is the potassium value of that particular food in mgs.
Here is the list with the foods in alphabetical order:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr21a306.pdf

And here is the same list but showing the foods with the highest K content at the top.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr21w306.pdf

Obviously pick K rich foods UNSALTED and low in fat...there IS some junk on these lists!

zuzu

Last edited by zuzu8; 07-07-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Multiple typos and "stuff"!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

zuzu,

I'm sure I have a Potassium defiency, I spent days and weeks without fruit and vegetables. My heart rate is higher than normal and I'm always short of breath, I don't take multi-vitamins because they make me feel breathless don't know why. I like bananas but it also has an effect on my heart rate, so I don't eat it much. Anyway, I try to do my best.
Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

cartner and tamuprof:

Post #3 in this thread has been re-edited by me .My orig post is gone but no matter...it now contains a good link for you regarding potassium rich foods.

zuzu

Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

thanks , I will take a look.

Closed Thread