It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Lightbulb Chronic High BP of 147/93, from 1998 to 2004 based on 14832 readings, now 126/73!

My blood pressure has changed from a very unhealthy, damaging, life-threatening average of 147/93, based on 14,832 readings, to a very healthy average of 126/73 based on 7,132 readings.

During those very nasty years, from 1998 through 2004, with my health deteriorating, my Systolic was as high as 207 and my Diastolic went as high as 126. My legs were swollen, I had constant chest pains, heart rhythm problems, tiredness, fatigue and, worst of all, I had constant breathing problems. I could not breath lying down or reclining. I had to sit up all the time, whether watching TV or trying to sleep. But...... I am stubborn. Up to the point where I felt that I was going to die, I refused to change my lifestyle or diet. The pain and misery had to be nasty enough to wake me up; and finally get me to change my ways.

At the present, approaching age 70, I am doing very well, even considering that I've endured Heart Failure, AFib, Immune Dysfunction, Insulin Resistance, an unhealthy lifestyle and diet, for decades.

There were four major steps that I took to get my blood pressure, not only under control, but at very healthy levels. The following are the four steps:
  • Small, low calorie, balanced, quality meals.
    I basically follow a combination of a modified Dash Diet and a modified diet targeting Insulin Resistance.
  • Avoiding unhealthy foods, drinks, triggers, irritants, pollutants, allergens.
    I discovered the things that negatively effect my blood pressure and health by tracking my blood pressure an average of seven times per day, since 1998. To this day, I am still uncovering unhealthy triggers.
    I'm still shocked that so many common, seemingly innocuous things can have such a negative effect on our blood pressure and health, worsening the lives of those with CHF, MS, CFS, FMS, etc.
  • Taking the most effective medications.
    This has taken a lot of grief, anxiety and misery, but I finally think that I found the medications that are best for me.
    Current Medications:
    • Coreg: A wonderful Beta Blocker, which lowers BP and has other amazing health benefits.
    • Digoxin: Effective treatment for my heart disease.
    • Warfarin: Reduces risk of stroke.
  • Exercise.
    Per Day: 150 push-ups; 300 weight-lifts; 400 steppers; 1 hour power-walk
    Note: When I first started exercising, just one push-up, or weight-lift would cause breathing problems and rotator-cuff "shoulder" pain.

These were my annual "average" blood pressure readings from 1998 through 2008.
  • 1998: 152/97, readings=1016
    An average of 152/97 for the ENTIRE YEAR! Is it any wonder why I was getting worse!?
  • 1999 : 146/92, readings=3599
    An average of 146/92, each and every day, for the entire year. Better than 1998, but still a serious health problem!
  • 2000 : 145/92, readings=3322
  • 2001 : 147/92, readings=2375
  • 2002 : 150/96, readings=1423
  • 2003 : 151/96, readings=1032
    Blood Pressure gradually got worse from 2000-2003! Nothing worked until I started eating healthier meals.
  • 2004 : 146/90, readings=2065
    A healthier diet helped to reduce Blood Pressure in 2004.
  • 2005 : 139/86, readings=2526
    During 2005 I was eating small, low calorie, frequent, balanced meals and I experienced significant reductions in Blood Pressure and improvement in overall health.
  • 2006 : 136/79, readings=3269
    During 2006, dietary improvements to Blood Pressure made it easier to figure out non-dietary triggers of high blood pressure and other health problems. I started eliminating those triggers.
  • 2007 : 126/74, readings=2720
    An average of 126/74 for the entire year! The more triggers that I discover and eliminate, the better my health and blood pressure!
  • 2008 : 122/72, readings=2543
    Everything is clicking... diet, exercise, eliminating triggers, medications.
  • 2009 : 126/73, readings=1869
    Blood Pressure still at very healthy levels but trending up "temporarily".
    Have already made changes causing BP to trend down to healthier levels.

My Cholesterol Numbers are also great, without ever having to take statins!
  • Total Cholesterol: around 160
  • HDL: around 60
  • LDL: around 90
  • Trig: around 60
  • Ratio: < 3

I miss my old unhealthy lifestyle and diet. If I could abandon my current diet and lifestyle, I would in a heartbeat. But, sadly, I know that I can never go back. However, with much relief, at least I can go forward with a good quality of life!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-16-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added explanation to bp trends 1998-2009

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Chronic High BP of 147/93, from 1998 to 2004, based on 14,832 readings, now 126/7

I think your success depends on your observations, I mean it's not that easy for anyone to observe if a certian food raises his/her blood pressure. keep up the great job my friend and have a great healthy life.
Mike

Old 07-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Chronic High BP of 147/93, from 1998 to 2004, based on 14,832 readings, now 126/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
... I mean it's not that easy for anyone to observe if a certain food raises his/her blood pressure.

Mike
If I could post a chart of the progress of the lowering of my blood pressure, it would be clear that my blood pressure lowered very gradually and choppy from 2004 through 2008.

One might ask, why did Machaon's Blood Pressure, and health, improve so gradually? The answer was: As I tracked my blood pressure, an average of seven times per day, every day throughout the year, I slowly and, with much difficulty, uncovered and discovered what causes blood pressure to be at unhealthy levels.

I found many things, or triggers, whether in diet, or in my environment or because of my lifestyle, that not only causes high blood pressure but causes many other health problems. Those with difficult to treat High Blood Pressure, like myself, will NEVER experience healthier Blood Pressure, and improvements in overall health, until harmful triggers are eliminated.

In regard to food, for which you posted, it is very difficult to isolate foods that effect blood pressure. Many times I was wrong about which food(s) was causing increases or decreases in my blood pressure. It was only after tracking over and over and over and over again, many times per day, that I finally uncovered and discovered the "unhealthy" foods.

The more that I removed from my diet, or my lifestyle, or my environment, the easier it got to uncover other things (triggers), and remove them also, which resulted in improved health and blood pressure. Often, though, a food that I thought was "bad", I would find out that I was wrong about, and then place back into my diet.

So...... I post what worked for me. I am always hoping that someone else is willing and able to do similar tracking, as I did, so we can compare notes. But, so far, noone else, that I know of, has tried the same thing.

Thanks for your post, Mike.

Have a nice weekend and take care!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-12-2009 at 05:56 AM.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Chronic High BP of 147/93, from 1998 to 2004 based on 14,832 readings, now 126/73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... I found many things, or triggers, whether in diet, or in my environment or because of my lifestyle, that not only causes high blood pressure but causes many other health problems. Those with difficult to treat High Blood Pressure, like myself, will NEVER experience healthier Blood Pressure, and improvements in overall health, until harmful triggers are eliminated.
I consider myself like a canary in a mine. I've had extremely over-sensitive Immune/NeuroHormonal systems which were caused by the combination of a live flu vaccine when I was young, and a long-lasting sinus infection. So..... in my case, it's easy to uncover some bad-health triggers because of an immediately bad reaction, such as increased breathing problems, increased heart rhythm dysfunction, increased body temp, mental confusion and malaise. The difficult triggers to find are the ones that are slow-acting, the ones in which the longer I am in contact with the trigger, the sicker I get, and the higher the blood pressure.

Out of desperation, several years ago, I purchased and electro/acupuncture stimulator. I use electro-pads on various parts of my body, hoping to find a magic combination that will calm my over-sensitive Immune and NeuroHormonal Systems.

About a week ago, I shaved my head, and have given myself two electro-stimulations of the top of my head.

Right now, I have eight electro-pads stimulating down the center of my back. I'll keep the pads on for about an hour.

I won't know the effectiveness, if any, of these electro-stimulations for a few days or more, and not until I come into contact with one of my more aggressive triggers, such as dust or leather tanning chemicals.

Even though I obviously have my blood pressure under control, and a fairly good quality of life, I have to live in a clinical bubble, protecting myself from various triggers. Often it gets very frustrating being so restricted.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-29-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Chronic High BP of 147/93, from 1998 to 2004 based on 14832 readings, now 126/73!

Quote:
... About a week ago, I shaved my head, and have given myself two electro-stimulations of the top of my head.

Right now, I have eight electro-pads stimulating down the center of my back. I'll keep the pads on for about an hour.

I won't know the effectiveness, if any, of these electro-stimulations for a few days or more, and not until I come into contact with one of my more aggressive triggers, such as dust or leather tanning chemicals.
Since then I've given myself additional electro-pad stimulations, all without any positive results.

Tonight I will try an hour stimulation down the middle and right side of my chest. If I could just ease my sensitivities to multiple triggers by just a little bit, it would have a profound effect on my life.

Quote:
Even though I obviously have my blood pressure under control, and a fairly good quality of life, I have to live in a clinical bubble, protecting myself from various triggers. Often it gets very frustrating being so restricted.
So far, for July 2009, my average blood pressure has been 120/71 based on 175 readings, or six readings per day. From January thru April, my average blood pressure had been higher, at around 128/74, which is still at healthy levels. But...... at the higher blood pressure, I experienced increased symptoms, so I was forced to behave myself more, in order to get the blood pressure down to healthier levels.

I am approaching 70, and yearn for the more carefree days, when I could drink as much beer as I could, and eat anything in sight, and party all night, without miserable health problems. Those days are long gone. That said, I greatly enjoy my better health and my overall life. What more could one ask?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-29-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Chronic High BP of 147/93, from 1998 to 2004 based on 14832 readings, now 126/73!

Quote:
Tonight I will try an hour stimulation down the middle and right side of my chest. If I could just ease my sensitivities to multiple triggers by just a little bit, it would have a profound effect on my life.
Another strikeout. Nothing that I've tried has reduced my sensitivities to many different irritants and bad-health triggers, all of which either cause increased heart rhythm problems, breathing problems and/or higher blood pressure. I'm giving up on using the stimulation machine for now because of lack of positive results.

On the good side, as long as I avoid the many irritants and bad-health triggers, I can keep my blood pressure at very healthy levels, and greatly reduce the number of times I have labored breathing and heart rhythm problems, and my health continues to improve.

Quote:
There were four major steps that I took to get my blood pressure, not only under control, but at very healthy levels. The following are the four steps:

* Small, low calorie, balanced, quality meals.
I have been on a small, frequent feeding diet since 2005. This, plus avoiding the bad-health triggers, doing proper exercise and taking the magnificent, miracle medication COREG has resulted in a significant improvement in my Heart Failure, Blood Pressure and overall health (except for my oversensitivity to many triggers). As a result, I have slowly been able to increase the size and calorie load of my meals and reduce the number of meals, making my daily routine much more manageable. I can now eat more fruits and vegetables without any negative effects on my blood pressure or health. It's taken me around 4 1/2 years to get to this level of improvement.

For August, so far, my average blood pressure is 121/71 based on 68 readings. For July, it was 120/71 based on 187 readings. When compared against my Blood Pressure average of 147/93 from 1998-2004, with peaks around 207/126, the importance of healthy diet, exercise, taking the most effective medication, and avoiding bad-health triggers become much more apparent. 1998 through 2004 were among the most anxiety-filled, frustrating times of my life. Nothing I tried, during those long years, did anything to significantly improve my blood pressure; and my health continued to deteriorate.

If the four major steps that I took and documented in the first post of this thread, can reduce my average blood pressure down to very healthy levels and significantly improve my Heart Failure and Insulin Resistance (Pre-Diabetes), the four steps could work for many others.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-14-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:

2009 : 126/73, readings=1869
An update to my 2009 blood pressure averages. For 2009, my readings are now 125/73 based on 2431 readings, where before they were 126/73 based on 1869 readings. My bp for October has been running at 117/70 based on 111 readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon - 07-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I miss my old unhealthy lifestyle and diet. If I could abandon my current diet and lifestyle, I would in a heartbeat. But, sadly, I know that I can never go back. However, with much relief, at least I can go forward with a good quality of life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon - 08-14-2009, 04:58 AM
I have slowly been able to increase the size and calorie load of my meals and reduce the number of meals, making my daily routine much more manageable. I can now eat more fruits and vegetables without any negative effects on my blood pressure or health. It's taken me around 4 1/2 years to get to this level of improvement.
I keep on increasing my calories and when I do I get increased breathing difficulties, sluggish, tired, warm, and my heart starts jumping around in my chest. My blood sugar, while still at presumably healthy levels, also starts rising and I just feel overall malaise.

Even though my weight is at healthy levels at 125 pounds, 5' 9", and my blood pressure is at excellent levels, every time I increase my calories, I suffer.

Will I ever learn to keep my mouth shut at the wrong times!? (like when there is food present! )

The same things that improve my blood pressure and make me feel 20 years younger also make my Heart Failure and other chronic diseases much less of a problem. It seems to be all related. I know what I have to do to stay healthy and feel good: small, frequent low calorie, balanced meals. Why is it so difficult to maintain self control over my eating, when I know what happens every time I increase my calories!?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-20-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Machaon, glad to see you are still around and posting, and that you've made such wonderful improvements in your blood pressure in recent years. I haven't been around much in the past several years myself, but you may recall that I also discovered that my diet had a great influence on my blood pressure and that I have post-prandial hypotension. Unfortunately, I also found that my doctors just don't want to hear about it. I won't go into details here, but my BP has become quite out of control lately, and I came here specifically looking to see if you were still posting since we did seem to have some things in common regarding our BP problems and I thought you might have learned some things that would help me. If nothing else, you might again inspire me!

Given the height and weight you stated, you have a BMI of 19! Incredible! What was your weight when you started your new diet?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da! View Post
Machaon, glad to see you are still around and posting, and that you've made such wonderful improvements in your blood pressure in recent years.
Hi Uff-Da! Very nice to hear from you again!

You and I, then, are both glad to see that I am still around!

Quote:
I haven't been around much in the past several years myself, but you may recall that I also discovered that my diet had a great influence on my blood pressure and that I have post-prandial hypotension.
I was concerned about you. I am VERY pleased to see that you are still around! After your long absence I was very worried. When we hang out on Health Forums, discussing serious illnesses, and someone disappears, it causes much concern to the remaining friends.

So...... a big Welcome Back!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I also found that my doctors just don't want to hear about it.
How dare you question the gods!?

Quote:
I won't go into details here, but my BP has become quite out of control lately, and I came here specifically looking to see if you were still posting since we did seem to have some things in common regarding our BP problems and I thought you might have learned some things that would help me. If nothing else, you might again inspire me!
I remember it well. You were one of the few posters that was interested in answering and responding to my January-2005 thread entitled: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

The diet outlined in that thread, a small meal, low calorie, frequent feeding diet is still the basis for my current diet, and has worked wonders with my health. I LOVE the diet! It not only has helped to greatly improve my health, but allows me to stuff my face quite often with the diet and foods that I have learned to love.

Quote:
Given the height and weight you stated, you have a BMI of 19! Incredible! What was your weight when you started your new diet?
Back in 2004, I was around 180 pounds and had quite a large pot belly. I was a size 36. I am now a size 32, and my pants fit loosely. I have had to notch several holes in my belt.

When I feel better, or feel worse (for that matter), I tend to eat more. I judge the size of my meals by the "last" notch in my belt. The tighter my belt gets, the more I have to cut back on the size of my meals.

It's fun to cheat on my diet, once in a while, but I pay for it, and am almost always forced to cut back and behave myself. As with everyone else, I love to eat. It's very difficult, both mentally and physically, to avoid those foods that I used to eat and love!

I wish there was an easy answer to lack of self control, when it comes to eating. For me, it's a daily struggle NOT to do that that extra eating.

The more that I continue to eat healthy, correct portions, the better I feel and the better my health.

It's really great seeing your unusual, but welcome, nickname appearing around here again!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I wish there was an easy answer to lack of self control, when it comes to eating. For me, it's a daily struggle NOT to do that that extra eating.

The more that I continue to eat healthy, correct portions, the better I feel and the better my health.
I'm doing it again today, damn it!

Today is football day. Miami Hurricanes are playing, plus two, count them TWO great football games on at 3:30pm! I must snack! I can't help myself! I've got some great looking jars of high-fat, high-calorie peanuts that are calling my name. I must go get them. I must!

I am feeling GREAT! Energy! Clear mind! Energy! I can't sit still. I am fixing things around my home. I can't find enough to do. I am just like the Energizer Rabbit! I guess I'll just keep posting notes on Healthboards between games.

I NEED TO SNACK! SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!

Oh well...... there goes today's blood pressure!?

It's all good though.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
I NEED TO SNACK! SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!
Machaon,

You may take three (3) peanuts out of the jar, close the jar, put the jar back in the kitchen cupboard, and carry the three (3) peanuts into the TV room.

If and when a goal is made by your favorite team, you may eat one or more of the peanuts in celebration.

This way you continue to have enough energy (isn't that a great feeling?!) to bounce up and down in enthusiasm or rage, depending on how your team does.

Rheanna

Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
Machaon,

You may take three (3) peanuts out of the jar, close the jar, put the jar back in the kitchen cupboard, and carry the three (3) peanuts into the TV room.

Rheanna
Let's see, now. Take three (3) peanuts out of the jar, close the jar, put the three (3) peanuts back in the kitchen cupboard, and carry the jar into the TV room. ... three (3) peanuts out of the jar, close the jar, put the three (3) peanuts back in the kitchen cupboard, and carry the jar into the TV room.

Hmmmm!? I think that I got it. Thanks!

The problem will be, that I will be thinking about those damn three (3) peanuts all night long while I'm trying to go to sleep!

Take care, Rheanna, be well!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... These were my annual "average" blood pressure readings from 1998 through 2009.
  • 1998: 152/97, readings=1016
    An average of 152/97 for the ENTIRE YEAR! Is it any wonder why I was getting worse!?
  • 1999 : 146/92, readings=3599
    An average of 146/92, each and every day, for the entire year. Better than 1998, but still a serious health problem!
  • 2000 : 145/92, readings=3322
  • 2001 : 147/92, readings=2375
  • 2002 : 150/96, readings=1423
  • 2003 : 151/96, readings=1032
    Blood Pressure gradually got worse from 2000-2003! Nothing worked until I started eating healthier meals.
  • 2004 : 146/90, readings=2065
    A healthier diet helped to reduce Blood Pressure in 2004.
  • 2005 : 139/86, readings=2526
    During 2005 I was eating small, low calorie, frequent, balanced meals and I experienced significant reductions in Blood Pressure and improvement in overall health.
  • 2006 : 136/79, readings=3269
    During 2006, dietary improvements to Blood Pressure made it easier to figure out non-dietary triggers of high blood pressure and other health problems. I started eliminating those triggers.
  • 2007 : 126/74, readings=2720
    An average of 126/74 for the entire year! The more triggers that I discover and eliminate, the better my health and blood pressure!
  • 2008 : 122/72, readings=2543
    Everything is clicking... diet, exercise, eliminating triggers, medications.
  • 2009 : 126/73, readings=1869
As we are getting closer to the end of the year, I thought that I would update my post to show how a low calorie, frequent feeding, small meal, high fiber balanced diet; exercise and avoiding bad-health triggers have effected my blood pressure averages through November 26, 2009.

Blood Pressure averages:
  • June 2009:----- 121/73 based on 208 readings (7 readings per day)
  • July 2009:------ 120/71 based on 187 readings (6 readings per day)
  • August 2009:--- 120/70 based on 164 readings (5 readings per day)
  • September 2009: 117/69 based on 162 readings (5 readings per day)
  • October 2009:--- 118/70 based on 162 readings (5 readings per day)
  • November 2009:- 115/69 based on 94 readings (4 readings per day)

And....... Year-to-Date through November 26th, 2009, 124/72 based on 2576 readings (8 readings per day).

I suffered from nasty, chronically high blood pressure for many years, while my heart continued to weaken and enlarge. It was only through going on a very healthy diet, and appropriate exercise, that I was able to experience a reduction in my blood pressure down to healthier levels.

This just goes to show, anecdotally, the great, medicinal effects of diet and exercise on one's health and well-being.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-26-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
And....... Year-to-Date through November 26th, 2009, 124/72 based on 2576 readings (8 readings per day).

I suffered from nasty, chronically high blood pressure for many years, while my heart continued to weaken and enlarge. It was only through going on a very healthy diet, and appropriate exercise, that I was able to experience a reduction in my blood pressure down to healthier levels.

This just goes to show, anecdotally, the great, medicinal effects of diet and exercise on one's health and well-being.
It's getting close to the end of the year. Just wanted to update my Year-to Date through December 15th:

124/72 based on 2627 readings.

And...... as my blood pressure stays down at very healthy levels, my Heart Failure and general health and energy continues to improve, nearing age 70.

If I could only have the same success with my Allergies!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
(female)

rdyrmsg HB User

AND approaching the end of the year I want to wish you the best of the Holidays and the New Year plus continued improved health for many, many years to come .

You have been an inspiration to me and I want to thank you. The record keeping you have done is both helpful and hopeful in the sense of showing how success can not only be achieved but maintained.

I too am approaching 70 and feel ever so much better than a year ago thanks to exercise, diet and consequently losing 15+ lbs over a period of six months or so.

Although I do not blessedly have the many problems that you have, surgery for MVP three years ago did slow me up. But we're back! better than ever!

Again, THANK you for your inspiration.

Closed Thread