It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Root canal and High blood pressure

back on meds after my last dentist visit. It was 132/92. Question..

I might have to go in for a root canal, I don't want gas, I was wondering of valoum would lower by bp too much. I am afraid to have the root canal without some kind of anti anxiety med because 1. I am scared out of my mind and 2. afraid I might stroke out without it.

What do most people do who suffer from hypertension when they go in for this procedure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Root canal and High blood pressure

Sounds like you need a new dentist. Why did it hurt so much during the procedure? Mine hurt AFTER each session. Plus I ended up with thyroiditis because the infection in the tooth traveled down to my thyroid. That started me on the road to HBP because my b/p soared once the thyroid got involved. BTW I ended up having to have the tooth pulled out anyhow.

Two years ago I was told I needed another root canal. I got a 2nd opinion & didn't have the root canal. The 2nd dentist idenified the problem quickly & fixed it. FAm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I take that valium!

1 Valium just to allay some of the anxiety of the injection/ procedure should not interfere at all with your BP meds. And it should not lower your BP too much at all.

I have had a lot of root canal and never had to go off my BP meds for them, and yes, I took a valium before I went in.

Unless you have other medical issues that would contraindicate valium, I don't think it should be a problem.

If you go with gas again, then you should ask your doctor if it'd be okay, just because the gas plus valium would be more sedating.

Why did you have to go off your BP meds on your last dental visit??

zuzu

Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I took a little mini break from my BP medication because I feel wiped out. My doctor disagrees. I went off and I felt great, I had normal energy etc... I am back on and now after 4 days I am back to feeling very tired.

I hated my last root canal because my throat went numb and I couldn't swallow. I also felt like I was going to drown because I couldn't swallow. This tooth is even further back on the bottom, so I will end up with that numb throat again. I panic.

Closed Thread