It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Do CCBs lower Potassium levels or increase it?

Hi,

I want take 1 tablet Potassium daily, 99mg, but I'm not sure because I know that some medications we take effect Potassium levels. I'm on Cardiazem though, does it effect Potassium levels?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Do CCBs lower Potassium levels or increase it?

Hi there Cartner ( the consummate "seeker"!)

I've been researching your question and can find no contraindications regarding diltiazem ( i.e. Cadiazem) and potassium supplementation. So in theory it's safe. It will not affect blood potassium levels.

Potassium and ACE inhibitors, now that's a whole other ball of wax!

However, that said, before you embark on a potassium supp. it's really important to know what your blood tests have shown regarding your potassium levels. If within normal range, you don't need a supplement.!!!!

If it's low, you may need to up your potassium intake. IF you have moderate or severe low potassium then yes, supplements may be effectve but definitely to be taken with your doctor's knowledge.

Borderline- low can most probably be "fixed" if you eat enough potassium rich foods. (I know I know you've heard this before!)

I know you've said that you have trouble finding fruits and vegetables where you live but I'm puzzled as to why

Can you get your hands on bananas? ONE MEDIUM BANANA has approximately 1 gram of protein, 3 grams of fiber and a whopping 467 mg potassium and getting Ka this way is far healthier and better absorbed than any supplement.

Please check with your doctor before you put that pill in your mouth!

Even better, just eat a banana every day!

There's a thread on this board started by tamuprof45 called Potassium Powerhouses which you and I both "joined". My post gives a link to a lot of potassium- rich foods. Honestly, if you are not suffering from real potassium depletion, try to take some of these daily. Not just for the potassium, but for all the other healthy vitamins and nutrients they offer.

Okay, that's it for now- Hope I didn''t give you w-a-a-a-y too much information!
You're question was so simple and I just went on and on...forgive me!

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 07-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi zuzu,

Thanks for your reply , there are fruits and vege at my country but they are pestiside loaded. Each time I eat them I get sick, so I try to limit my consumption. I eat 2 bananas daily when I can, sometimes I can't. food are very expensive comparing to salaries here, I mean really expensive. Anyway, I asked someone to get me fruits and vege extracts supplements from the US.

I remember I had a potassium blood tests few years ago, and the dr said everything is normal. So I guess my potassium levels are in normal ranges. my main problem is fatigue, I'm tired all the time and can't concentrate. Finally, I have come to understand that this could me a side effects from EVERY AND EACH hypertension medication OR it could be a symptom of Arthritis. As soon as I stopped the natural oils, which are anti-inflammatory agents, the pain is back all over my joints and I'm MORE TIRED

No your answer is great, thanks for your help. god bless you

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

offtopic: but you should really try taking b12 supplements, it will not get rid of your fatigue problem completely but it will help enough for you to notice something

Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Actually, it helps alot

Closed Thread